!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Principat d'Izaro (French/Spanish layout)  (Read 7345 times)

weave and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Principat d'Izaro (French/Spanish layout)
« Reply #195 on: July 11, 2019, 11:13:41 PM »
Hi Chris (IP),

Thanks for the explanation. Shame about the wagon but makes for a good story  :).

For all, I've got another idea to continue my Izaro story (boo I hear) and no potential sex in the story (more boos), well maybe  ;) but it is about booze  :D. I didn't have time to do pics but hopefully can do the story with pics at the Weekend.

Moving on, have done more on the beach bar and have experimented with sand and ballast magic (which I am a novice at) in a little square just around the decking, which I did expand a bit to fit in the tables and chairs, so can't add the fixtures and fittings in case it goes wrong. Have only just done it so looking at it now with an incredible urge to start fiddling about with it but NO. Leave it and see what it looks like tomorrow. Sorry, helps if I write here rather than stare at it wanting to prod. Think I need therapy.

Speak soon,

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: July 11, 2019, 11:16:24 PM »
Hi again,

Meant to say/ask, any ideas for what the grey wagon (wagons, I think I have another one) contain?

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2019, 07:16:30 AM »
Hi again,

Meant to say/ask, any ideas for what the grey wagon (wagons, I think I have another one) contain?

Any chance that they might contain.....booze?  :D

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2019, 07:40:31 AM »
Hi again,

Maybe wine?
We have plenty of beer, cider, rum, whisky etc but no private owner wines yet. Unless Iíve forgotten some - which is highly likely.
And looking forward to the continuation of the boozy story Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2019, 08:55:04 AM »
Thanks guys but they're open ferry tube wagons and don't think they would carry booze (?). Also, although Scots Whisky and in the future things like English cider, ale, gin etc. would be acceptable I think English wine would be out of the question especially in 1963.

Josť and Nicolau were pushing it anyway with wine from the Bordeaux region and will be again with some Champagne. The local Cava and wine producers as well as those just across the borders in Spain and France can get a bit funny about that sort of thing as Pedru Valdez explained to them.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
Hi again,

Just to say the sand is OK ish this morning. It looks a bit 'wet' in places which is what I didn't want and also crystally in sunlight but it will suffice for the moment and then I think I'll plaster bandage the beach area around it, paint and then just sprinkle sand onto glue.

Pic of what I've done over the Weekend.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2019, 04:28:43 PM »
The batch of non-vacuum brake fitted BR 'Ferry' "Tube" wagons were the result of BR cost-cutting and were sent to the Southwest as no-one else wanted them! However, they are ideal for the timber traffic from Scotland and Somerset to the furniture manufacturers (I forget where). A 'backload' to the UK could be crates of cheap wine as long as the wagons were covered by tarpaulins (black-painted folded paper with cotton ropes). Anything valuable would, indeed, be shipped in a container or ferry van. An even better 'backload' could be barrels of grape juice in concentrate form, for use in making British wine which was fermented and bottled in Britain and pretty nasty stuff it was, too! Another suitable story for a 'dodgy' character.

Offline chorleysteve

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »
Or Sherry?  Some pretty rank, some pretty decent...

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:23 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks again for the replies. I agree Chris (IP). I like to have a happy layout but a spiv (as my late father used to call them) is needed. Fermin was/is a bit of a loveable rogue but only due to unreliability, drinking and womanising (nothing wrong with that  ;)).

I've got a name already for the spiv. I might have mentioned him before but was at school with this Portuguese lad who was, in Blackadder fashion, as dodgy as a dodgy dodgem from Dodge City.

Will have a think about what he might be getting up to.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2019, 11:13:05 PM »
 :hellosign:
  The only load for open wagons I could think of is timber or just about anything covered by tarpaulin. Looking forward to meeting your lovable rogue.
     regards Derek

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2019, 08:27:49 AM »
Hi Derek,

Just to clarify. Fermin is the lovelable rogue and has been involved in previous stories. He is a co owner of the 'El Gaitero' restaurant at Sant Pau de Mar with Pedru and Catala but prefers fishing and drinking etc. I'm not sure where he is at the moment storywise. He was in the UK and has a potential girlfriend in Rae Anne from Canada who was also in the previous storyline. I think they might be meeting up again in London soon (?), am waiting to see where @Chris in Prague is going with his London story which involves Catala I think.

The spiv, who I might of mentioned ages ago (?) but never really appeared, is a different guy called Miguel (Miki) Luz from Oporto. He will just have his own storyline in Izaro when I can think of one.

Regarding the wagons, timber is probably the way to go as I tried making tarpaulin covers once and failed miserably. There are bespoke furniture makers in Izaro, mentioned before, and I have got some of the Cornish orange timber wagons too. There was a plausible reason for getting the timber from the UK. I can't remember but think it was along the lines of better quality and that Franco had upped the tax on some exports from Spain to Izaro.

Regarding the sand around the beach bar, I'm really not happy with my attempts at sticking it down so, as it is such a small area I might just use sand paper for the moment and experiment at a later date.

All very boring. Working today but trains and other pics later or Sunday.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:04:00 AM by weave »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2019, 09:14:13 AM »
Good Morning Chris
Iíve been a bit hit or miss  on the forum lately as we have visitors. I know you told me to dissiade them from coming down  but they were most insistent  Iím afraid :D
Anyway, I may have missed your pictures of the sand (at least I canít find any - perhaps they are a bit far back in the thread and Iíve scrolled past them).
What sand did you use ? We have some very fine stuff around here (on some beaches) which may work for you. Often sand is too large and out of scale so it pays to be selective.
If you need some just ask and Iíll get my truck down to the beach, load it up and drive it down to you. Unless, of course, you only want a tiny amount. In which case Iíll pop it in an envelope and let postie deliver it.
As for fixing it, I just paint the board light brown then apply a good coat of runny PVA and sprinkle the sand on. If you want dunes or undulations etc I found it better to make these in advance using cheap time grout.  I discovered that making the dune out of a mound of sand looked just like it says on the tin ie ďa mound of sandĒ.
Anyway, Iíll stop waffling for now. Weíre off for coffee and cake then a trip over the King Harry Ferry to the Roselannd for the morning.
Of course, itís time that I could have spent modelling  ;) :wave:
Cheers
Martin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 09:18:09 AM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »
Thanks Martin,

There aren't any recent sand pictures but I've tried fine sand from our common which looks the right colour on the common but a bit dark in the house. I then tried kiln dried silver sand (for brushing in block paving) which looks good if just sieved and spread around (not the picture from a while ago) but it's when I come to stick it, it looks rubbish.

I think I've probably had the glue too thick so will sack the sandpaper idea as would be too flat anyway and just plaster bandage the area with a cut out area for the bar decking, do what you said and if it goes wrong I can start again without the bar being damaged.

Thanks for the sand offer. I might take you up on that at a later date.

PS. Have a lovely day out. Think of me working  :(, although only a half day and as self employed I might knock of early to keep the local hostelry in business. Got to do your bit  ;)  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2019, 11:42:59 AM »
Yes, Sofia will be travelling up to London with Sylvia, Eli, and Susan to the Chelsea townhouse where the "Girls" live.  Fermin has been invited to meet up, in London, and so has Rae Anne from Canada, but I'm not sure where those two will be staying. Catala was planning to invite the head of the STB to Sant Pau de Mar, or somewhere else in Izaro (between France and Spain) where she lives but is now fully occupied with Christian. On their arrival back on the UK mainland, Christian and Catala have to take a train to London (Paddington) and then a taxi to the rented house of the "Chelsea Girls". But will they stay there or has Christian other plans and, if so, will Catala go along with them? 8-) The plan is that they will all go one Friday evening, to "Esmereldaís Barn", a previously mentioned nightclub in Londonís Knightsbridge, infamously owned by the Kray Twins, where DJ James Hamilton plays and which will feature prominently in the continuing story. I don't know if Rae Anne's female American friends are accompanying her, this time, and what she has been doing since last year (1962). I'll leave all that to Chris (Weave).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:17:12 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Chris (Weave), Chris (IP) & Martin am following the stories with interest & always waiting for the next update. Don't know which beach Martin is thinking of moving,  :D but if of any help I am ten minutes walk from Hayle beach. Not this minute though en route from Gatwick to home via Reading on board a166 followed by the 800 series.
     regards Derek  :beers:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here