!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Principat d'Izaro (French/Spanish layout)  (Read 11652 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Principat d'Izaro (French/Spanish layout)
« on: August 21, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
Hi all,

Finally introducing my French/Spanish border layout.

There will be pics to explain my ramblings later tonight but don't want to lose what I have written as have done that before  :doh:

I will be going further into the history of the layout with hopefully storylines/scenarios etc. in the future but basically it is a fictional principality, independent of France and Spain, on a large peninsular sticking out into the Mediterranean between the real towns of Cerbere and Port Bou.

I will do a map another time to explain the geography further but the layout depicts the area around the fictional town of Tutera which was the first to acquire railways, firstly broad gauge Spanish and then standard gauge French, due to a large seam of Flourite discovered  in the principality. More of that another time.

The layout is very roughly 8' x 2 1/2' on three sides with a link on the fourth side. One of the three sides is wider as it will have another layout (Port de Regleun, a Brittany ferry port terminus) to be built at a later date, separate scenically but linked to run trains round.

The boards are 6mm MDF on Ikea trestle tables. The track is all Kato Unitrack and at the moment is really just a large double oval of track, one being SNCF (France) the other RENFE (Spain). I have decided to concentrate on the through beach station of Platja de Teixir rather than the terminus station of Tutera so I can do a bit of scenery but test and more importantly run trains. Tutera hasn't been planned yet, although has access, but trying not to rush everything after not doing a lot and then regretting it.

The layout is mainly set in the '80s and '90s from my travelling memories but also, on other operating days, in the '60s giving me a chance to dabble in steam and early diesels.

I'll leave it there but pics to follow soon which hopefully will explain all.

Cheers weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:25:33 AM by weave »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Principat d'Izaro (French/Spanish layout)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
Sounds amazing!  I look forward to hearing more, much more.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »
What an interesting idea.... Show us more when you're ready.
 :hmmm: :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:49 PM »
Hi again,

Still having problems with the photos. It's nothing to do with Photobucket. It's my computer. Hopefully this is a helicopter view of the layout.....

Will try more if I can.

Cheers weave, getting  :beers:

Edit. OK. That worked, Platja de Teixir on left, Spanish line on outside, French inside. Spanish headshunt and sidings on right although not fixed yet. Tutera station will be in the foreground of the board in front of the window.

Leaving this post there as getting frustrated and had all intentions of getting it right. Will plod on to another in a mo hopefully.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:14:54 PM by weave »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
You're doing really well, Weave. Don't lose heart but keep on doing what you've been doing :thumbsup:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
I agree with Mick. Keep going. It's looking good so please don't give up.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 08:47:17 PM »
The track is all Kato Unitrack...

What, no Ibertren 3-rail?    :D  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:09:40 PM »
Thanks guys but think I'll have to give up on the photos til tomorrow.

The wife struggled but she did that one. She thinks she knows the problem but has to be up very early tomorrow so has gone to bed but promises to try and sort it out when she gets home.

Thanks for looking and hope to be properly up and running very soon.

computadores  :veryangry2:

Salud (et Sante) Weave  :beers:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:30 PM »
Hi again,

As it's my thread I'm going to hijack it re the computer. Remember I don't know anything about computers but the forum says it can only take 7.81 MB but on the first of the 'My Pictures' files I have uploaded I just noticed it says it's 13.1 MB.

There are only 8 pictures on each of 2 files so does this mean the pictures are too big? They were uploaded from an email by the way, or are there too many (it says Zip whatever that means) pics on each?

I don't know what my wife did re first pic and am sure she can sort it all tomorrow but if anyone's bored enough to help me now that would be grand.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 10:39:37 PM »
Hello Chris, I too am not brilliant with technology but please persevere as the start is looking really good. Thanks for the updates
      regards Derek.

Offline Rowlie

• N Gauge Society Number: 20349
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 10:40:02 PM »
Whata great idea for a layout, looking forward to watching this develop

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 11:12:09 PM »
Hmm... does sound like the photos are rather large if their size is several Mb? 

In other forums I frequent, photos directly uploaded to the form (ie. not hosted on a 3rd party site) are usually expected to be maybe 200-300Kb.  Must admit, one I uploaded to here earlier was actually 3Mb, thought it took a rather a long while to upload!  I probably should have resized it/recompressed it before uploading.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:15:18 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 06:20:13 AM »
If you upload to 'My Gallery' (under Gallery above) you can link them straight into you topic.  Try reducing the size with an editor to say 1600 X 900.  That should reduce the file size to a few hundred kilobytes.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 07:22:02 AM »
Hi Weave, great looking start.
If you are taking the photos on a phone try emailing them to yourself. Most phones will spot large photos and offer the chance to re-size before you send. You can then upload the smaller photos to your gallery on the forum. Hope that this makes sense, and helps.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 09:34:26 PM »
Hola and Salut my friends,

If this goes right you will be seeing the belated Friday late morning RENFE Estrella Express from Sant Cristofol to Oviedo and Gijon carrying Asturian Flourite mine workers home for the Weekend passing an SNCF Corail Express from Avignon, with through overnight couchette coaches from Calais, just outside Platja de Teixir.

Alternatively, my dogs will be hearing rather choice language as the computer is thrown out of the window.

Fingers crossed, here we go..

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything