New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cerney Keynes on the M&SWJR  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Cerney Keynes on the M&SWJR
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »
Graham, Mr Mojo Risin' (sorry Jim, wherever you are).

As one Doors shuts, another Doors opens :D

It's true some parts of Unitrack take up more space than set track but that's predominantly the points. Smallest Kato point is the #4 which is 124mm long. the Peco set track points are a lot smaller. Unitrack is available in smaller radius curves than set track but I wouldn't universally recommend it for UK outline stock.
With a small plan it's easier to use straights rather than curves as curves take up more space. Even though I preach not to run tracks parallel to the baseboard edge my 8ft x 4ft plan does exactly that at the front or I wouldn't have the space to do what I want.
I always say the track plan is the most important part of the layout and nothing should be attempted without you being sure it's what you want, but at least with Unitrack you can have trains running in minutes.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »

It's true some parts of Unitrack take up more space than set track but that's predominantly the points. Smallest Kato point is the #4 which is 124mm long. the Peco set track points are a lot smaller. Unitrack is available in smaller radius curves than set track but I wouldn't universally recommend it for UK outline stock.
With a small plan it's easier to use straights rather than curves as curves take up more space. Even though I preach not to run tracks parallel to the baseboard edge my 8ft x 4ft plan does exactly that at the front or I wouldn't have the space to do what I want.
I always say the track plan is the most important part of the layout and nothing should be attempted without you being sure it's what you want, but at least with Unitrack you can have trains running in minutes.

Cheers NPN, if only Kato did curved points life would be so much easier!
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »

I am in complete agreement with this.

My experiments with Kato #4 points are nothing like as extensive as NPN's but, whilst almost completely trouble free with Kato locomotives, British-outline models can give problems.

Steam locomotives appear more likely to give trouble than diesels and when one gets acceptable running over a single #4, arranging two as a crossover seems to lead to more than 'double trouble'.  More like exponential trouble in my experience.

None of this is a criticism of Kato #4 points which work very well as part of the Kato system.

I find the #6 points are excellent, but they are longer and of a gentler radius than Peco 'Setrack' points ... in '00' gauge!

Having mixed results during running trials on my own little layout, I'm seriously thinking of changing to 'Unitrack'.

Good luck with your new plan.  The advantage of 'Unitrack' is you can play with it, sorry, test it, for a while and see if the plan suits you.  If it doesn't, then it can be changed in minutes.

All the very best.

John
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:34:25 PM by Train Waiting, Reason: Grammar »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
Look at what you have done to me.

Look at the carnage in my flat.

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!

This used to be a dining table, now it is a track depository.

This used to be a guitar amplifier, now it is a shelf for paint and glue.

This used to be a bit of floor I could walk on, now itís covered in boxes full of more track.

This used to be a sofa, now it seems my baseboard and some intriguing bits of wood are living on it.  I wonder what the intriguing bits of wood are?

YOU did this to me.  All of you.  YOU and your BLOODY SERIOUSLY ADDICTIVE RAILWAY THING.

Shame on you all.

Graham, thinking frog juicer sounds a bit like something you smoke.

"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
The intriguing bits of wood look like the start of a baseboard extension to me. And it seems that if you got rid of the clutter - that sofa and table, for example - you could easily fit the layout of your dreams in there.

Hope that helps ;D

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »
I think the hammer you have leaning against the wall in the intriguing bits of wood picture should be just right for hammering track pins... :D

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2017, 12:24:34 AM »
I think the hammer you have leaning against the wall in the intriguing bits of wood picture should be just right for hammering track pins... :D

Indeed, one of the hammers has Fred Truman's signature on it but the hardest bowler I ever faced was the late Bill Frindall, wicked swing for a short cuddly statistician. You meet all sorts in village cricket.  The non-Duncan Fearnley is a piece of cr*p Slazenger plank, with which I have played one innings and scored one run.  I reckon this is the tool for track pins...

Graham, needs a bigger hammer.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »
I played Cricket for my School, Inverness high School.
The selection went like this...

Have you played cricket before?

Yes....

You're in the school team.....

We lost every match except Dingwall, so we weren't bottom of the league...

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2017, 08:42:34 AM »
The musical instrument looks intriguing.
What is it?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2017, 03:39:34 AM »
NPN is spot on, a PRS SE 245 with P90 pickups.

I lost most of my guitars in a house fire a few years back and the PRS was a consolation present to myself!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:41:18 AM by BoxTunnel »

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2018, 04:14:10 AM »
Tick, tock, tick, tockÖ

I said I was going to be slow but even I thought I might have made more progress than I have so far.

Itís actually NPNís fault due to the following comment:

...I always say the track plan is the most important part of the layout and nothing should be attempted without you being sure it's what you want...

It is excellent advice and for the last five months or so (which included a role and shift change at work) I have been struggling to come up with a track plan that:

- Makes sense. Iím am far from an expert on railways in the 1940s but most of my designs so far have been unsatisfactory to me from a logical point of view.  Iím not worried about prototypical perfection but it has to be fairly believable.

- Fits on my 4í x 2í layout.

- Includes scenic elements I want to model.

- Will be fun to operate (because for me playing with testing my trains is the ultimate end goal).

I have actually had sleepless days (I work nights) thinking about the layout!  However, I think Iím getting close...

As a result, Cerney Keynes will be re-appearing in the layout planning forum in the near future where I will pester you all with more daft questions that ďany fule (should) knoĒ.  I may even include a picture of the "intriguing bits of wood" in action...

Graham, hopefully glimpsing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »

Itís actually NPNís fault due to the following comment:

...I always say the track plan is the most important part of the layout and nothing should be attempted without you being sure it's what you want...

Happy to accept the blame for that, Graham, as it's a tenet I will always hold firm to. I hate to think of anyone getting a lot further down the line (pun intended) before getting disillusioned/fed up and abandoning their project.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »
...and we're back in the construction forum.

Thank you for all your constructive criticism in the planning forum, pretty much all of which I've ignored due to a certain pig-headedness, you are more than welcome to say "I told you so" when I run into problems in the future.

This is the final plan.  I had to decide on something or I would be spending the rest of my life in SCARM rather than building something.

The red parts are mainline, the blue is a little branch line.  I've scattered a few buildings around but these are not definite, it was more to give me an idea of what could fit.  The big green rectangle will be an embankment and bridge allowing road traffic to get to and from the area.  Unlablelled below the cattle docks is a mineral wharf (inspired by a layout in the latest Railway Modeller), so Cerney Keynes will still have a connection to the gravel pits I envisaged so many plans ago.

Today, we also find out what those curious bits of wood were for.  A pat on the back to all who said legs for the layout - Mr Chippendale would be proud I think!

Please excuse the mess in my living room, but as mentioned in a previous post, it's all your fault anyway!

Finally for today, a quick question before I proceed.  On a whim I bought some cork floor tiles in the DIY store.  These are coated on one side and my thinking is that if I glue them over the baseboard they will have a slight noise damping effect and also the coating will protect the MDF underneath.  They are not glued down yet, but is this a good idea?

Graham, finally feeling his inner Brunel coming to the fore.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
Nothing wrong with some sound proofing at all provided the same height is under buildings as under the track which, in your case, it is. Bear in mind, though, the way we usually make baseboards does, in fact, create a 'drum' so some resonation can always be expected.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here