New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cerney Keynes on the M&SWJR  (Read 3298 times)

Offline BoxTunnel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Cerney Keynes on the M&SWJR
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »
Hello all, and welcome to Cerney Keynes, a layout based on the very real but long gone Midland and South Western Junction Railway.

The Year is 1942 and the United Kingdom is at war with Germany and Japan.  The layout will depict part of a fictional village called Cerney Keynes which lies on the Wiltshire - Gloucestershire border between Cricklade and South Cerney.  As we are post-grouping but pre-nationalisation, GWR locomotives and rolling stock are the order of the day, but if I am weak (and am feeling particularly rich or spot a bargain), the Mallard may well be spotted at some time - I just love that that thing!

For a more detailed back story please see my thread in the Layout Planning subforum, and to all that have given me so much helpful advice in that thread, welcome back.

I am using Kato Unitrack.

My modelling experience is restricted to building Airfix kits of aircraft as a child back in the 1970s, so I will be reporting my progress as a complete noob, and reviewing products as and when I buy and build them, which leads us on to my next post, and the reason I have moved Cerney Keynes to the construction thread, I have built a signal box!

Graham. from small acorns...
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
Re: Cerney Keynes on the M&SWJR
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »
Review - Metcalfe Signal Box Set PN133.

This is my very first attempt at building anything in N Gauge and indeed anything from a card kit, but first a piccy of my virgin cutting mat before it’s swamped in glue, paint, tears and my blood:

Now to the kit.  It was well packaged (so well that it took me a good few minutes to actually breach the cardboard envelope containing it) and provides materials to build a large and a small signal box, a platelayers hut and a lamp hut.  My initial thoughts were “wow, that looks complicated” and “how the hell are my clumsy mitts going to put that together?”

After an initial readthrough of the instructions (another first for me) I was feeling a little happier as they seemed clear.  I decided to build the large signal box first, as all the bits and bobs were bigger.  First thing I had to do was cut the front glazing down to size and attach it to a cardboard frame.  Small amount of panic at first when the PVA I was using seemed not to work, but after a few minutes under a heavy but old paperback (Pandora’s Star by Peter F Hamilton) the glazing was firmly stuck to the window frames.

Then it was just a case of cutting and popping out the various components and glueing them together.  There were a couple of steps where I would do things a different way round next time and an omission from the instructions (fitting the lower door).

Finally building the stairs.  I was dreading this, they looked so fiddly and small.  However, Metcalfe have an ingenious solution - they provide a simple jig for you to construct which ensures your staircase will be almost perfect.  Again, I would differ from the instructions, I applied glue to the stringers and applied the steps to them, whereas they recommended applying the glue to the steps and then applying the step to the stringer.  Seems daft to me.

After about four hours (I watched Game of Thrones as I was building it) we came up with this little beauty ( the stairs are just resting against the signal box at the moment)

Conclusion:  If I can build it, anyone can and I am inordinately proud of this model, but they say you always love your first the most!  I will definitely purchase another Metcalfe Kit, but this was almost a tenner so they are not cheap.

Instructions:   8/10
Ease of Build:   9/10
Looks:      8/10
Value:      7/10

Overall:   8/10
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
Graham

Congratulations on moving to the 'Construction' part of the Forum.  I look forward to hearing of developments.

And very many thanks for your review of the signal box kit.  I've never built a card kit  :-[ as I started in model railways when the plastic kit was the norm, but I intend to build a few.  Your review is helpful.

All the best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:47:21 PM »
That's an interesting build and the Signal Cabin,(those on the MSWJR were called cabins) though GWR changed that, at Ludgershall the Cabin was not too dissimilar. http://swindonsotherrailway.co.uk/aj5.jpg

Oh may I recommend a little red pencil down the cut edges of the card, to hide the white  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:18:53 PM by The Q »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 03:34:10 PM »
Good to see you've tackled that kit, Graham, as it's one I have to make up.
As 'The Q' has suggested, I bought a pack of gel pens to disguise the white card on the folds.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
I've built this kit and its really nice. I use watercolour paint to hide the white edges and corners. You can also use a bit of dilute water colour on you fingers to gently rub over the brick work to give a bit of weathering. A drop of black or dark brown works well and looks good with a bit of practice.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:17 AM »
As alwaysl, the suggestions and encouragement are gratefully received.

My dear old Dad has donated a comprehensive set of artists' acrylics so when my ebay brushes are recovered from the Post Office I will attempt to hide the white lines and try some basic weathering. 

But the big news...

A week later than initially promised in this thread (my fault, not theirs) I will be picking up the Sundeala from Gas Cupboard Models in Trowbridge tomorrow.  I had identified suitable bracing from Wickes in Chippenham but it came in 2400mm lengths, which would not fit into my trusty old Civic.  I called them to see if they could cut it into 1200mm lengths only to be told by a rather abrupt sounding chap "we don't cut anything here" before the connection was cut, presumably by this sullen young man slamming the phone down!

As a result, B&Q Chippenham will now be getting my business after a very polite young lady assured me that they have plenty of timber in the size I want in 1800mm lengths.  Their website also advertised a cutting service, but 1800mm should be fine in the Honda.  B&Q 1, Wickes 0.  Guess who will be getting my business in the future...

My Dad has had is workshop at amber alert for a week or so and now he has upgraded to red alert - incoming baseboard at 1300 tomorrow!

We will have trains running on a rough track layout by the weekend, piccies will follow.

Graham, ridiculously excited for a middle aged chap!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
I share your excitement, sirrah :bounce:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 10:45:53 AM »
Cool!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »
Block and Quayles,  cutting service is Normally for sheet materials only, though I have heard of some stores cutting planks. They also have a minimum width cut which I believe is about 8 inches.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 11:30:55 AM »
Block and Quayles,  cutting service is Normally for sheet materials only, though I have heard of some stores cutting planks. They also have a minimum width cut which I believe is about 8 inches.

Had to google Block and Quayle, then the penny dropped!

Point is - happy friendly lass on the phone and I visit you tomorrow, sullen unfriendly bloke on the phone and my business is going elsewhere.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »
Oh I agree, most of the staff in my nearest orange shed are very helpful and cheerful.

I also use the woodscrew supply company, and have done since almost their day one(1979).

These days known as Screwfix... which is part of the same company as B&Q

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »
B & Q also do a 'Silver Surfer' Wednesday each week whereby those over 60 get 10% discount.
Let's face it, age has to have some benefit, eh? :D
I wouldn't describe my coiffure as silver, though, more 'egg in a nest' :-[

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
Quick word of caution regarding B&Q timber, as has been noted many times before: although the wood will measure 1.8m from end to end, chances are it won't be in a straight line.

Try to avoid the shrink wrapped bulk packs and inspect each piece before you buy.

Then use it immediately, because it's highly likely that it won't be straight next week.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
As alwaysl, the suggestions and encouragement are gratefully received.

A week later than initially promised in this thread (my fault, not theirs) I will be picking up the Sundeala from Gas Cupboard Models in Trowbridge tomorrow.  I had identified suitable bracing from Wickes in Chippenham but it came in 2400mm lengths, which would not fit into my trusty old Civic.  I called them to see if they could cut it into 1200mm lengths only to be told by a rather abrupt sounding chap "we don't cut anything here" before the connection was cut, presumably by this sullen young man slamming the phone down!

As a result, B&Q Chippenham will now be getting my business after a very polite young lady assured me that they have plenty of timber in the size I want in 1800mm lengths.

Graham

This sounds like good progress.  I'm rather a fan of 'Sundeala' and @NPN has a really helpful link about how to condition it before use.  This is important.

This is probably just me being far too cautious, but, when I use 'Sundeala', I prefer to lay it on top of 9mm MDF, or ply if you prefer, with the bracing below the MDF.  This gives a perfectly (more-or-less) flat surface for the 'Sundeala' which then has much less temptation and opportunity to warp.

Two disadvantages: cost and weight.

You may wish to ignore the above as the ramblings of a risk-averse train set enthusiast, but, to me, the baseboard is the foundation for good running thereafter.  Good running = good fun in my train set world.

All best wishes - exciting times!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything