!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 162280 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #3015 on: July 26, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »
Uber, uber cool!  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #3016 on: July 26, 2020, 10:49:20 AM »
It is 14 years since I travelled on the Poppy Line, during a very cold February, I remember it well but not for the railway. We had travelled from East Yorkís on the Saturday, whilst having our evening meal and a nice glass of red, my wife realised that we had not brought our youngestís asthma medication. So I plus son travelled back home that evening and returned early the following morning, which was my 50th birthday, to be told on my arrival we need to hurry if we are going to catch the train.

Happy days

Mike H

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3017 on: July 27, 2020, 07:44:06 AM »
Excellent work on the track setting out Poppy. Iím sure that you really did need Johns help.  ;)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3018 on: August 01, 2020, 11:14:16 AM »
A Holiday Postcard

Hello Chums

Mrs Poppingham and I have been on holiday!  We ought to have been in a particularly nice place in Wales but, due to the present circumstances, we ended up in a self-catering apartment in Alnwick.  Although we are certainly not strangers to the A1, this was the first time that we had been in the charming town.  We explored the agreeable countryside thereabouts and saw several reminders of the Alnwick & Cornhill Railway, the North Eastern's 35 1/4 mile branch line through Northumberland agricultural land.  Unfortunately, traffic was never heavy and the line closed entirely to passengers in 1930 and to goods in stages between 1953 and 1965.

If you are anything like me, you'll often return from holiday with an idea for a layout; that's certainly the case this time.  It would, of course, be more like a proper model railway than my 'train setty' Table-Top Railways.  Still, there is no reason why Poppingham cannot have its own little tribute to that lovely line through Wooler:-

A train bound for Alnwick in the late 'twenties?  'J25' 0-6-0 No. 1988 and a brake third make leisurely progress.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #3019 on: August 01, 2020, 01:34:58 PM »
John

Sounds as though you had a wonderful time in Northumberland.

Yes I agree you do get thoughts of what to build whilst away. Two years ago whilst staying outside Scarborough I started exploring the Scarborough to Whitby line and previous to that I was quite set to build Hunstanton in Norfolk, I even bought two books on the line. This time it was started by having lunch in a pub and there on the wall was an old map of the area, I spend more time reading the map than eating.

Mike H  8)

Online Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3020 on: August 01, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
John, like you I've traveled the A1 many times but have never paused at Alnwick. Either is was too early on my journey if heading south, or too near home (Edinburgh) if headed north! Did you visit Bamburgh? That was another place I've always wanted to visit but never did for the same reason. Similarly, I've driven between Boston and New York dozens of times and never stopped to visit the Yale University, though it was just ten miles off my route - thinking I'd do it the next time!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3021 on: August 01, 2020, 09:28:22 PM »
John

Sounds as though you had a wonderful time in Northumberland.

Yes I agree you do get thoughts of what to build whilst away. Two years ago whilst staying outside Scarborough I started exploring the Scarborough to Whitby line and previous to that I was quite set to build Hunstanton in Norfolk, I even bought two books on the line. This time it was started by having lunch in a pub and there on the wall was an old map of the area, I spend more time reading the map than eating.

Mike H  8)

I'm glad it's not just me that gets diverted on holiday, Mike.  'Sunny Hunny' would be an ideal, if large, model.  I got very keen on Stoke Ferry and the Wissington Railway when we were on holiday thereabouts.  I assume the map did not distract you from the fine, foaming ale!

John, like you I've traveled the A1 many times but have never paused at Alnwick. Either is was too early on my journey if heading south, or too near home (Edinburgh) if headed north! Did you visit Bamburgh? That was another place I've always wanted to visit but never did for the same reason. Similarly, I've driven between Boston and New York dozens of times and never stopped to visit the Yale University, though it was just ten miles off my route - thinking I'd do it the next time!

Leon

That's exactly it, Leon; Alnwick is too close to home.  I've always stopped further south, including several overnight stays in Stamford.  Yes indeed: we visited Bamburgh (and Craster) - both absolutely lovely.  We have every intention of returning to the area for another holiday.

Many thanks and best wishes.

John 
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #3022 on: August 01, 2020, 11:15:21 PM »
Spent some time in Alnwick some years ago. Lovely town, and castle. I love the little figures on the battlements.

You would have driven by Beal!  :thumbsup:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3023 on: August 02, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »
A Bit More Progress on Little Poppingham

Hello Chums

Here's where I've got to on Little Poppingham:-

The 'Scrap Rail' planning system has almost completed the ovals.  This has identified three areas where I cut it too fine with the marvellous ballast paint.  I have masked these and will give them a quick skoosh of paint.

The passenger station will be at the front and the bright green foot rule shows the location of the up platform.  All the points will be at the back, operated by a 'stick in a void' arrangement.  The difference from the system used on Poppingham is that the voids will be cut into the 'Sundeala' and the 1/8" cork topping will conceal the sticks.  The 'Scrap Rail' has identified the part of the baseboard where all this will happen and I have cut out the cork.  That's the grey 'Sundeala' bit at the back of the photograph.

I hope to keep this layout for a long time so I'm thinking about maintenance.  The points and associated track will be easily removable, as is this piece of cork, in case I need to get at the sticks.  This will also make replacing a failed set of points easy.  Most of the electrical wiring will be in here as well.  By the way, the wiring on this layout will be super-duper-complex as I intend to have four-wire control.  Poppingham makes do with three-wire control.  The planned fourth wire is so cunning that I might put whiskers on it and call it a fox.

Finally, my coarse layout planning has shown that one set of points will not be parallel to the baseboard edge.  Poppy and I are experimenting with a 'bendy stick' to actuate these points.

Clearly, I'm taking the whole process of layout design and construction back about 75 years.  And enjoying it!  More later.

Spent some time in Alnwick some years ago. Lovely town, and castle. I love the little figures on the battlements.

You would have driven by Beal!  :thumbsup:

We most certainly did, George - on the way south.  That was the part of the journey where the rain briefly eased off to torrential.  Unfortunately the pelting precipitation prevented me taking a photograph of Beal's bus stop  :rain:.  You'd like the Northumberland bus stops - they have the county flag on display (sadly, not an actual flag - the design is on the 'Bus Stop' sign).

Many thanks for looking and all good wishes.

Cheerie-bye.

John and Poppy

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3024 on: August 02, 2020, 05:14:43 PM »
Splendid stuff John.
I look forward to future developments.
I hadnít realised that the layouts would be next to each other.
Would it be pushing things too much to join them together?

Cheers

Martin
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #3025 on: August 02, 2020, 10:59:16 PM »
Yes, I noticed Poppingham in the background there.  :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that the rain prevented a deviation to Beal, but from my childhood memories, that's normal in that part of the world!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3026 on: August 03, 2020, 09:53:45 AM »
Splendid stuff John.
I look forward to future developments.
I hadnít realised that the layouts would be next to each other.
Would it be pushing things too much to join them together?

Cheers

Martin

Many thanks, Martin.

I'm fortunate enough to have a 13'-long surface to put my layouts on.  I have them close together to benefit from the lighting.  The two layouts are intended to be completely separate and there is no plan to connect them.  Little Poppingham will, hopefully, be fairly easy to transport and might be allowed out!  At least in the short term, I will borrow some of the non-railway buildings from Poppingham for Little Poppingham.  As for the railway buildings; I have an idea...

Back on Poppingham, here's ex-NER 'D20' 4-4-0 No. 2024 approaching Ellis End with a down passenger train.

All best wishes.

John

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #3027 on: August 03, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »
For some reason, that is one of my favourite pics of this layout.  :thumbsup:

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #3028 on: August 03, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »
Thank you John for the lovely photograph, with the D20 looking splendid in its coat of green.

Mike H  8)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3029 on: August 03, 2020, 05:33:07 PM »
Thank you very much, George and Mike.

For some reason, that is one of my favourite pics of this layout.  :thumbsup:

It's interesting you say that, George, as I just took a quick snap so that there was a diversion from my tedious text in the post.  I stopped the engine where the rods were down, whistled for Flossie and Lambie and pressed the shutter.  A case of less effort = more pleasing photograph.  Coarse photography meets coarse modelling!

Here's another coarse photograph of the 'D20':-

Thanks again for these encouraging comments, chaps.

All best wishes.

Pip-pip.

John

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal