!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 152610 times)

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #2790 on: June 04, 2020, 07:31:46 PM »
At least in our day here at Poppingham, HP Sauce, a particular favourite in 'Mable's' where the menu consists of Variations on a Theme of Sausages, is made in Brum.

Ah yes.  I worked in Aston throughout the 1980s and I can still smell the HP factory if I close my eyes 8)

Online Paddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2791 on: June 04, 2020, 09:03:01 PM »
It has been produced in Norwich for 160 years but is moving production to Burton-on-Trent and Germany. They will also have a mustard seed milling site in Norwich. So 'English' mustard could become 'German' mustard.  :(

German Mustard - what would Winston say about that!  ;)

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline PennineWagons

• Awards
« Reply #2792 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:57 PM »
In praise of Virol
Perhaps a little off topic, or maybe not, but if you look closely at a photograph of virtually any British railway station in the period up to about 1960, the chances are you will see an advertisement for good old Virol.
For years, I had no idea what it was and Iím fairly sure that I wasnít given any as a child (maybe I missed out).
However, In researching Virol for this post, I came across this charming little poem :

Come, Hygiene, goddess of the growing boy,
I here salute thee in Sanatogen!
Anaemic girls need Virol, but for me
Be Scottís Emulsion, rusks, and Mellinís Food,
Cod-liver oil and malt, and for my neck
Wrightís Coal Tar Soap, Euthymol for my teeth

Virol would be a good livery for a private-owner van!
Surprised no-one's done it...
PW

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2793 on: June 04, 2020, 09:52:24 PM »

Virol would be a good livery for a private-owner van!
Surprised no-one's done it...
PW

Now that would be a lovely livery to replicate ...............
Wonder if anyone has done it?  :hmmm:

(It is a nice wagon PW  :thumbsup:)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2794 on: June 05, 2020, 09:50:42 AM »
Poppingham Station

Hello Chums

Young Bonzo Poppingham had another Varsity Air Squadron navigation flight this morning and he flew over Poppingham station.*  The down 'Parly' is at platform one behind 'J25' 0-6-0 No. 1988.  This train is reminiscent of those that battled over the Stainmore route.  This was a fiercely-graded line with a severe weight restriction, due to Sir Thomas Bouch's** Belah Viaduct.  It was actually the similar-looking 'J21' class that worked most of the traffic on the route until light 'Moguls' arrived after Nationalisation.

A train of tank wagons is passing through the station on the up line.  As ever, Inspector Japp has been diligent in the discharge of his duties and a barrier wagon is in place.  The locomotive is 'J27' 0-6-0 No. 1229.

Bonzo's photograph clearly shows that Poppingham station has no goods sidings.  With the exception of suburban stations, this is fairly unusual.  There were a couple of examples locally, at the northern end of the Waverley Route; Dalhousie and Newtongrange.  Dalhousie closed in 1908 when Newtongrange opened.  Incidentally, the present-day Newtongrange station (how nice it is to type that!) is on a different site, to the south of the 1908 station.  Dalhousie was between Newtongrange and Hardengreen Junction, on the embankment north of the magnificent Lothian Viaduct.  The inspiration for Poppingham station came from far-away Hampshire and that fascinating station at Winchester Chesil on the old Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway.  At Chesil, the goods facilities were located to the south of the passenger station at Barr End.  Poppingham has a similar arrangement, with goods facilities at what I have been calling the Sidings.  Time, I think, for a proper name for the location.

* Please don't let on to Bonzo's CO, but he diverted slightly from his course and 'buzzed' Mama and Papa at Poppingham Hall!

** Yes, the same Sir Thomas Bouch, designer of the first Tay Bridge.

Many thanks for looking.

All best wishes.

Cheerie-bye.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2795 on: June 05, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »
 :hellosign:
  Thanks John, another excellent  :greatpicturessign:, all looking splendid
   stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2796 on: June 06, 2020, 03:53:27 PM »
Price is What You Pay and Value is What You Get*.

Hello Chums

Elsewhere on our Forum is a good thread entitled ĎThe Price of ĎNí Gauge in Contextí which contains a series of interesting posts by those much better qualified to comment than me.  These posts got me thinking about the price and value of models in my own experience and in the context of the Table-Top Railway.

The locomotive costs £79.00 and the ĎB-Setí is priced at £29.95.  Iím hopeless at sums but I think that makes the train £108.95.  These are manufacturers' prices and the ĎB-Setí might be cheaper from one of the discount retailers.  I prefer to support my local model shop, Harburn Hobbies, rather than the discounters, so Iíll stick with the list price.  Of course, we need to consider postage and train fares in order to get the models here.  Letís say about £115.00 for the train.  Thatís the price dealt with Ė easy because it is objective.

What about value?  This much more difficult because it is subjective.  I assume that the train will see me out, although I hope that it runs a lot more miles before then!  It gives me enormous pleasure watching it running round my little layout and, occasionally, sharing photographs of it with the Friends of Poppingham.  Therefore, I think it gives me extraordinarily good value.  I am unable to place a fair price on that value, but Iím certain that it is more than £115.00.  So, thank you Union Mills and Dapol.

I should, of course, be interested to hear othersí views.

The locomotive is Ď2251í class 0-6-0 No. 2242 and she is heading an up local passenger train round the ĎCastle Curveí approaching Poppingham station.  In the background can be seen some superscary semi-scenic work.  The area around my house has been an embarrassment for ages and Iím, at last, attempting to do something about it.

* Ackn. Terry Smith, fund manager.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 10:18:02 PM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2797 on: June 06, 2020, 04:05:31 PM »
I would consider £115-00 to be money well spent on something that gives you so much pleasure.
Plus, of course, you have to factor in the pleasure that your wonderful layout Poppingham has given to the rest of us.

Oh.....And donít forget the price of Flossie and Lambie  :claphappy:

I for one particularly look forward to each and every episode of the Poppingham adventure.

Regards
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Ali Smith

• N Gauge Society Number: 15528
  • 2mm Association Number: 4281
    • Awards
« Reply #2798 on: June 06, 2020, 05:06:05 PM »
Me too!

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #2799 on: June 06, 2020, 05:45:10 PM »

Plus, of course, you have to factor in the pleasure that your wonderful layout Poppingham has given to the rest of us.

Regards
Martin

Martin,

I agree 100% With your post, but please be careful with what you say, else John may get the wrong idea and start charging the friends of Poppingham to view.

Stay safe

Mike H 8)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #2800 on: June 06, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »

What about value?  This much more difficult because it is subjective.  I assume that the train will see me out, although I hope that it runs a lot more miles before then!  It gives me enormous pleasure watching it running round my little layout and, occasionally, sharing photographs of it with the Friends of Poppingham.  Therefore, I think it gives me extraordinarily good value.  I am unable to place a fair price on that value, but Iím certain that it is more than £115.00.  So, thank you Union Mills and Dapol.

John

If I was told I had to get rid of all my trains and be allowed to only keep one it would be an easy choice. Just about the last criteria in making that choice would be how much I'd paid for it. It would be the one that gives me the most pleasure to sit back and watch as she clickety clacks around my layout.
The one that transports me back to the days of yore. The one that looks the part, triggering all those memories.

No.2242 hauling her 'B-Set' looks absolutely splendid. I'm glad you are 'chuffed' with it.
Here, with your indulgence John,  is my equivalent.

Alec.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 06:31:23 PM by Invicta Alec »
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2801 on: June 07, 2020, 12:23:41 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Interesting thoughts John, Martin & Alec
I don't think you can put a price on enjoyment & I certainly couldn't choose a favourite, love em all
  stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2802 on: June 07, 2020, 12:45:05 AM »
Over the years, people have asked me how much my railway stuff is worth. To which my reply has always been "Not nearly as much as it is worth to me."
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2803 on: June 07, 2020, 02:38:26 PM »
Thank You Very Much

Hello Chums

Thank you very much for all the jolly kind comments.

Regards
Martin
Martin,
I agree 100% With your post, but please be careful with what you say, else John may get the wrong idea and start charging the friends of Poppingham to view.
Stay safe
Mike H 8)

I think the Friends of Poppingham would be much more justified in charging me for their reading all this silliness!

If I was told I had to get rid of all my trains and be allowed to only keep one it would be an easy choice. Just about the last criteria in making that choice would be how much I'd paid for it. It would be the one that gives me the most pleasure to sit back and watch as she clickety clacks around my layout.
The one that transports me back to the days of yore. The one that looks the part, triggering all those memories.
No.2242 hauling her 'B-Set' looks absolutely splendid. I'm glad you are 'chuffed' with it.
Here, with your indulgence John,  is my equivalent.

Alec.

Thank you, Alec, for that smashing picture of a train without an engine.  I know what you mean because I have memories of this type of EMU as well.  On 6 June 1999, the Prof and I travelled on the 0932 Waterloo-Alton for a day of travelling on trains with engines.  We travelled in EMU No. 76262, in that splendid Standard Class compartment - I think that there were only two of these in a four-coach set.  I well remember that day because we had Light Luncheon in a public house in Alresford which had an exceptionally pretty barmaid.  This was the first occasion that I got the Prof to drink fine, foaming ale.  I expect that 76262 is, like the Prof, no longer with us.  Fortunately, Nos. 41312 and 73096, which hauled our Mid Hants trains that day, are still here.

Over the years, people have asked me how much my railway stuff is worth. To which my reply has always been "Not nearly as much as it is worth to me."

Great one-liner, thank you, George.  I have committed it to memory for repetition as and when required.

Thank again for all the lovely, encouraging comments.

All best wishes.

John

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #2804 on: June 07, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »

Thank you, Alec, for that smashing picture of a train without an engine.

;D ;D ;D

or as someone else on here calls them....."self propelling Mark 1s".

What a rotter AND he's a Friend of Poppingham!!

He knows who is is! :veryangry:

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything