!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 138663 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #2550 on: April 09, 2020, 01:50:54 PM »
A Down Express

Hello Chums

Signalman John Saxby has pulled off his down line signals and Geoff Duke with '2P' 4-4-0 No. 443 is taking full advantage of the clear road.   

Once the express has passed I'll get the four corks out and clean the track through 'Tea Cosy' tunnel.  To allow easy access, the tunnel has been removed and the layout pulled forward, which created this location for photography.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Tickety-tonk.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2551 on: April 09, 2020, 06:38:30 PM »
What a splendidly sharp and colourful photo.

Totally spiffing I'd say!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2552 on: April 10, 2020, 09:19:00 AM »
What a splendidly sharp and colourful photo.

Totally spiffing I'd say!

Alec.

Very many thanks, Alec; that's jolly kind of you to say so.  My single brain cell only works part-time, so the fantastic focus stacking technique is beyond me.  The old joke about 'f/29 for a fortnight' was just about right for this photograph - it was f/29 for 1/2 second.  The distance from Flossie to the overbridge is 39" and Flossie was about nine inches away from the camera.  Such fun!
I had never used a digital camera until I started this thread.  I still don't own one - I borrow Mrs Poppingham's!  Just as well that I'm slowly learning how to use it as my forty-years old Canon 'A1' has died.

Thanks again and all good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #2553 on: April 10, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »

The old joke about 'f/29 for a fortnight' was just about right for this photograph - it was f/29 for 1/2 second.  The distance from Flossie to the overbridge is 39" and Flossie was about nine inches away from the camera.

Thank you for these little nuggets of information John. I'm gonna try that next time!  :)

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2554 on: April 10, 2020, 02:44:21 PM »
Jolly Spiffing News!

Hello Chums

I had a letter from Colin Heard at Union Mills today, with four rather fabulous stamps on the envelope.  Enclosed was a copy of Union Mills List No. 128 of 1 April 2020.  I have posted the list on the correct place on our Forum and, hopefully, have put a link to it at the end of this post.

Union Mills is open for business which is, in itself, spifferoo.  But to make things super-spifferoo; scheduled for production again this Spring are 'D11' 'Directors', 'T9s' and a trio of fantastic LNER 0-6-0 goods locomotives - classes 'J25', 'J26' and 'J27'.  I expect that Friends of Poppingham are familiar with classes 'D11' and 'T9'.  Just in case the ex-NER goods engines are a little bit more difficult to bring to mind, Inspector Japp and Mr Hedley have kindly arranged a line-up:

Three sets of Bobbington enginemen are having a nice day out, with a trip to the Sidings for the attention of the Table-Top Railway's official photographer.  Knowing signalman Saxby, there will be tea and Mrs Saxby's delicious cakes aplenty.  From front to back: 'J25' No. 1988, 'J26' No. 1773 and 'J27' No. 1229.  Three generation of Wilson Worsdell's 18 1/2" x 26" goods locomotives, introduced from 1898 to 1906.

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes and toodle-pip.

John

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48978.0

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2555 on: April 10, 2020, 02:46:25 PM »
Three Cheers for Union Mills and Colin  Heard.
Hip, Hip.......
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #2556 on: April 10, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »
Jolly Spiffing News!

Hello Chums

I had a letter from Colin Heard at Union Mills today, with four rather fabulous stamps on the envelope.  Enclosed was a copy of Union Mills List No. 128 of 1 April 2020.  I have posted the list on the correct place on our Forum and, hopefully, have put a link to it at the end of this post.

If my wife finds out, it's your fault :D

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2557 on: April 10, 2020, 09:38:13 PM »
Hi John ( @Train Waiting )

Thank you for posting and good to hear Colin / Union Mills are weathering the storm.  For one moment I thought this might be a ruse as you said the date was April 1st!

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2558 on: April 10, 2020, 09:59:41 PM »
Jolly Spiffing News!

Hello Chums

If my wife finds out, it's your fault :D

Okay dokay - it's absolutely my fault; no question about it!  It certainly wasn't Poppy's fault...

With all best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John and Poppy

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #2559 on: April 11, 2020, 01:33:31 AM »
I can testify to the truth of John's announcement as I received a G2 0-8-0 in the post from Colin last week

Regards,

Alex

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2560 on: April 11, 2020, 07:19:08 AM »
Blimey, that explains a lot. Poppy’s electric!  :goggleeyes:

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2561 on: April 11, 2020, 07:32:56 AM »
Stop it - all I can think about now is Mrs Slocombe and her poor pussy.  :-[

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2562 on: April 11, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
A 'G2' Chugging By

Hello Chums

I can testify to the truth of John's announcement as I received a G2 0-8-0 in the post from Colin last week

Regards,

Alex

That's great news, Alex.  You probably got the last one in stock as the 'G2' is not in the current list.  Is it a BR one?

Talking of 'G2s'...

Ex-LNWR 'G2' 0-8-0 No. 9423 chugs past the Sidings with an up freight train.

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

John

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #2563 on: April 11, 2020, 11:42:19 PM »
A 'G2' Chugging By

Hello Chums

Regards,

Alex

That's great news, Alex.  You probably got the last one in stock as the 'G2' is not in the current list.  Is it a BR one?

Talking of 'G2s'...

Ex-LNWR 'G2' 0-8-0 No. 9423 chugs past the Sidings with an up freight train.

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

John

Yes John, it was a BR one

Regards,

Alex

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2564 on: April 13, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »
A Rummage in my Drawers

Hello Chums

Excitement++ at the Table-Top Railway over the Easter weekend.  You see, the train set room has got into a complete shambles and I thought that I would have a bit of a tidy.  I started with the drawers; not all of them of course, that would be too much like hard work.  Just two or three.  One thing I never understood was why the locomotive drawers were at the other end of the room from Poppingham, rather than below the layout.  After a lot of rummaging, that's Drawer One, now below the layout, done.

Placing the locomotives in their drawers caused a very quiet Sunday down at the Sidings.

Many thanks for looking and best wishes.

Pip-pip.

John

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal