!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 113241 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #2265 on: January 24, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »
Anything to Declare?

Hello Chums

You might recall that I mentioned a while back that a few ForumFriends shared @Newportnobby 's 'LNER Bundle' and I was fortunate enough to get a couple of carriages and the truly lovely 'V2' which had been expertly serviced by @Dr Al .  What I did not declare at the time is that I also was fortunate enough to obtain the 'LMS Bundle'  You see, I did not much care for the idea of the Union Mills '2F' being without a home.  And the four Stanier carriages and the Peco open wagon will surely come in handy.

This little down local passenger train is made up from items from Mick's 'LMS Bundle'.  '2F' 0-6-0 No. 22958 with a corridor third and brake first.  I'm not much of a buyer of second-hand stuff but our Forum is a trustworthy source and Mick's items have been universally excellent.  Thank you, Mick.

As you probably expect, I already have a 22958!  Either a renumbering or a strict segregation out on the line will be called for.  Years ago I had a holiday and weekend job with a wholesale greengrocer who had a small fleet of lorries including two Fords, identical in every detail.  Including the registration plates.  Meanwhile, the brace of '2Fs' are happy together in the 'goods engine drawer'.

The beige thingimy-jig prominent on this side of The Square is retail premises under construction.  More of my coarse modelling.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Pip-pip.

John

PS @Milton Rail , thank you so much for your lovely comments, Andrew.  You have inadvertently mis-quoted George's very kind remark regarding the popularity of these ramblings and dodgy photographs.  There are certainly more popular threads than this, thank goodness!  @Bealman
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2266 on: January 24, 2020, 08:18:22 PM »
I was unaware you already had that loco in your stud, John, so am doubly grateful for your purchase and hope renumbering proves an easy task. Very nice photo, sirrah (doffs cap)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2267 on: January 24, 2020, 08:38:11 PM »
Anything to Declare?
What I did not declare at the time is that I also was fortunate enough to obtain the 'LMS Bundle'  You see, I did not much care for the idea of the Union Mills '2F' being without a home.  And the four Stanier carriages and the Peco open wagon will surely come in handy.

Aha, twas you then. I was deliberating whether or not to go for that one and obviously spent too long making my mind up  :D
At least I know it went to a good home.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2268 on: January 25, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »
Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a town surpasses, for honest men and bonnie lasses

Hello Chums

Well it is Burns' Night, so a wee bit of Tam o' Shanter might just be forgiven.

The reference to Ayr is apt because No. 647, a 'Wee Black Yin'* from Ayr shed, worked an up Passenger train through Poppingham today.

Just look at the reflection of 'The Crown' in Poppingham Pond.  The surface of the pond was so still today that it could have been a looking glass.  And that's Bertie Poppingham's motor car parked in the back yard of 'The Crown'.  He's maybe in for a sharpener before attending the Burns Supper for lashings of haggis and neeps.  And, perhaps, more than a few 'wee goldies'.

Those of us of a more sober disposition than Bertie might find the locomotive of interest:-

Isn't she a real Black Beauty?  The magnificent finish was by @Ozymandias .  Gideon worked from a photograph taken by the late David L Smith of the real thing at Dalmellington station, heading a train to Ayr.  Between Dalmellington and Ayr is Alloway**; the birthplace of Robert Burns.

* As the Class '2P' 4-4-0s were called when they arrived on the former G&SWR section of the Northern Division.

** Alloway station was on the Maidens & Dunure Light Railway, but the train from Dalmellington would have passed through Alloway Junction on the main line.

Aha, twas you then. I was deliberating whether or not to go for that one and obviously spent too long making my mind up  :D
At least I know it went to a good home.

Sorry Chris!  Delighted for her to go to Coniston.  Feel free to PM me the Special Traffic Notice for her to work there.  Presumably, as she's a Midland engine, via Settle Jcn, Wennington and the Joint Line to Carnforth.

Many thanks for looking and all good wishes.

Cheerie-B

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2269 on: January 25, 2020, 05:17:51 PM »
Very good to catch up with Poppingham. Those lilac roofs are certainly very eyecatching combined with yellow walls.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2270 on: January 26, 2020, 12:40:11 PM »
More great pics!!  :thumbsup:

I must admit the aerial pics a year apart confused me... marshalling yards at the top and bottom!

However I just put it down to me being down under  :D :beers:

That's a really good point, George.  Thank you very much for mentioning it.

As the photographs are oblique, I cannot simply rotate the image; yes, I tried and it looked simply awful.  Better to get the stepladder out and do it properly...

18 January 2019

26 January 2020

Thanks again, George :beers:.

Very good to catch up with Poppingham. Those lilac roofs are certainly very eyecatching combined with yellow walls.

Many thanks, Chris.  It's lovely to hear from you.  Yes, the Brian Cooke-inspired colour scheme is certainly striking.  I had a bit of a loss of confidence in the idea after I had completed the first two buildings but, thanks to the very kind and encouraging comments from Friends of Poppingham, I persevered and I'm jolly glad I did.

All best wishes.

John

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:46:39 PM by Train Waiting »

Offline Paddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2271 on: January 26, 2020, 07:48:59 PM »
Hi John,

That is a lovely engine and a beautiful detailing job by @Ozymandias - a real credit to the Poppingham fleet.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBWZv78QooTejcYi5afQBg/videos

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2272 on: January 27, 2020, 07:03:50 PM »
Working on the Layout

Hello Chums

I don't know about you, but I find that the little detailing, and especially painting, jobs take ages but are immensely rewarding.  The fencing behind the down platform has progressed as far as the ramp, so it's now time to attend to the Queen of Hearts' modification to a couple of unfortunate Peco SL-14 track pins and then paint them white.

Poppy has the job well underway and is supervising the paint drying whilst the pin is safely gripped by a set of ancient forceps.  Once the paint is dry, the pins will be superglued to the section of sloping fence and then stuck into the 'ground'.  Poppy has also been track-cleaning, as you can see from cork four of our 'Four Corks Cleaning System' placed conveniently to paw.

Pip-pip.

John and Poppy

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #2273 on: January 27, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »
When asked if she would join in with track cleaning, Poppy was initially heard to say: Me? Ow?.

Is there an N scale Poppy on the layout John? :hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2274 on: January 27, 2020, 08:12:52 PM »
But once Poppy had finished the track cleaning, John was heard to say, "That's purr-fect".  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2275 on: January 29, 2020, 05:10:26 PM »
A Colourful Train

Hello Chums

I like to think that this little down goods train is firmly in the Hornby tinplate '0' gauge tradition of private owner wagons in bright liveries:-

Neville Hill is getting another driving turn, this time with ex North Eastern Railway 'J25' 0-6-0 No. 1988.  She is a lovely little engine and a very fine runner, but she doesn't half make the 'J39' 0-6-0 in the Down Sidings look enormous.  Unfortunately for locomotive enthusiasts (I don't think the term 'locospotter' had been invented in Poppingham's day), her number is obscured by the inconveniently-situated Southern Railway van; she is No. 2726.

On a different subject, the next project continues to exercise my imagination.  Ages ago, I wrote up a couple of branch line ideas in the 'Layout Planning' section.  One of these was for Torver and @chrism has subsequently made a vastly better model of it than I could ever do.  And he has also done Coniston, Woodland and is well through Broughton.  Meanwhile, I prevaricate.

But at the forefront of my mind is a wise and helpful comment by @port perran , pretty much to the effect that Poppingham is a one-off and maybe would not stand an attempt at replication.  I fully understand this; it's a bit like a novelty book or gramophone record that people are very kind to.  But don't push your luck with a follow-up!  I'm grateful to Martin for that thought which I have, of course, expressed in much more blunt terms.

Therefore, latest thinking is split between two options.

The first is the branch line theme; maybe even a terminus and possibly Great Western to get maximum fun from playing with the cliche.  In British 'N' gauge of course.  A foot wide and a few feet long.

The second is a bit different and is inspired by Poppingham, in that it is 48" x 30" which, I think, is a splendid size for a model railway.  I've somewhat surprised myself in that I am really enjoying all the little details that I'm including in Poppingham.  Now and again, I think it might be nice if these were a bit bigger.  But I really like the 9mm gauge and the small trains.

Recent events have made me think.  My favourite present-day model railway manufacturers are Union Mills, Peco and Kato.  Peco and Kato appear to be collaborating with a range of '009' stock from the Rheilffordd Ffestiniog/Festiniog Railway.  These tiny trains appear to offer possibilities and my first attempt at a track plan is below.  It is loosely based on a CJ Freezer plan from my youth.  I have added a fiddle yard and dispensed with the reversing loop of the late Mr Freezer's original.  I'm thinking of setting it in the present-day. 

I'd be very grateful for any observations or comments.

Toodle-pip.

John

PS
Is there an N scale Poppy on the layout John? :hmmm:

Not yet, Mike.  And easier on an '009' effort as I allude to above.  But there will an 'N' gauge Poppy.  She's a little cat so I'll need a powerful magnifier!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2276 on: January 29, 2020, 05:40:03 PM »
John

Before I comment more fully on your 009 plan, can I just clarify a point?
I assume that there will be a gentle incline up from Lower station to Upper station?
And does that imply that the low level fiddle yard will be hidden by some form of hill?
Or......am I completely mis-reading it?
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2277 on: January 29, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »
Many thanks, Martin.

Sorry, I'm a total novice at 'Anyrail' and I used the free version with its 50 track piece limit (yes, I ought to have used more double curves!).  And I don't have a clue how to draw gradients!  My normal approach to track planning is at full size rather than attempting to draw.

The idea is that a train leaves the fiddle yard and runs on the level to the lower station.  After leaving the lower station, the train steadily climbs on what is a reversed 'S' shape until it reaches the terminus which will be built over the fiddle yard.

Unlike for Poppingham, I have thought about viewing angles and the layout would be designed for 'public' viewing from the front.  The viewer would see a rising scene - a lesson from  Trepol Bay.  At the terminus, I envisage the straight line as the platform road, with the station buildings behind it - maybe in half relief - and a backscene at the rear.  I think it would be a freelance line, but the inspiration is from the double horseshoe curves around Llyn Mair (near Tan-y-Bwlch on Rheilffordd Ffestiniog).  Mr Freezer certainly alluded to the Festiniog (it was a long time ago!) in his original plan.

I look forward to your comments.

Best wishes.

John

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2278 on: January 29, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »
That being the case, I think its a spiffing plan which lends itself beautifully to narrow gauge.
I presume it will be fully scenic ?
What do you have planned for the area between upper and lower stations?
The idea of an 009 locomotive plodding from lower to upper stations epitomises a train traversing the Ffestinniog or perhaps the WHR.
Incidentally, Mrs PP and I spent a lovely 4 days at Porthmadog a few years back traversing both lines which I thoroughly recommend.
And.....also coincidentally, a member at our club has built an 009 layout of Porthmadog (not at the club but at his home) Icould probably get a few photos if you are interested?

The only thing that I would add is a spur somewhere, perhaps in use, perhaps abandoned, leading to a slate quarry (which might be off  scene).
Good Luck
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #2279 on: January 29, 2020, 07:39:46 PM »
Good luck with the 009 layout John. I shall be watching for future developments with interest.

Isn't planning a new project great fun!

I can (and have many times) spent hours fiddling around with SCARM track planning software.
I'm as happy as a sand boy whilst doing it.  :)

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal