!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 96328 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1800 on: August 13, 2019, 08:23:14 PM »
It might just be that they seem a bit daring when compared to the more 'normal' standard of Metcalfe buildings. Once the trees etc. appear they may well look just right. Some people do paint the stonework of their houses so the concept is perfectly sound. I'd suggest sticking with them.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1802 on: August 14, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
Thank You

Hello Chums

Thank you very much for all your kind and encouraging comments about my effort at a Brian Cook-inspired building.  I'll finish the building in this style and then try another one.  After that, I can think again (hopefully with your help) about whether to continue in this idiom.

['D11/2' 'Scotch Director' 4-4-0 No. 6397 The Lady of the Lake leaving Poppingham station with an up stopping passenger train.]

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1803 on: August 14, 2019, 11:37:58 PM »
G'day Flossie! The grass at Poppingham is a bit greener than the stuff your Aussie cousins have at the moment!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1804 on: August 15, 2019, 05:55:38 PM »
 :hellosign:
    Just to say John, thoroughly approve of the design & nothing wrong with colour  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #1805 on: August 21, 2019, 12:28:25 AM »
More spifflingly coloured houses here: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/portmeirion-tourist-village.html
Portmeirion in Wales...

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1806 on: August 21, 2019, 07:33:27 AM »
Catching up after a short research trip (aka holiday) to the fjords. The houses are definitely in the spirit of Poppingham. Continue sir!  :thumbsup:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1807 on: August 24, 2019, 07:53:07 PM »
A New LNER Wagon at Poppingham

24 August 1937

Hello Chums

I took the Brough Superior out for a fast flap today and, as usual, called in at the station to see if there was anything interesting.  Fortunately, I had my camera with a roll of 'Kodachrome' transparency film which is expensive but very good.  Due to the slow speed of the film, I hoped for a slow goods train and was fortunate to see '2251' 0-6-0 No. 2284 with a short train slowing to a crawl as the Poppingham down starting signal was on.  The second wagon in the train was a new LNER steel-bodied open in the recently-introduced livery with small lettering.

Just to show that the Table-Top Railway is not 100% Union Mills motive power, I thought it might be nice to post a photograph of one of the Peco 'Collett Goods' locomotives.  These are beautiful little engines, but they see very little use now that there is a Union Mills model available.  The LNER open in 1937 livery, second from the engine, was a lovely present from that very generous Friend of Poppingham, @Chris in Prague .  Thank you, Chris.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1808 on: August 24, 2019, 08:18:47 PM »
Many thanks for the excellent photo., John. I'm delighted that the wagon arrived safely at Poppingham.

It is a very nice model, as is the Peco Collett Goods of which I have a very similar model: NL-27 2251 BR Plain Black Late Crest.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1809 on: August 25, 2019, 08:23:56 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   Many thanks John, all looking extremely spiffing
      regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1810 on: August 28, 2019, 09:13:39 PM »
A Nice Day Out

Hello Chums

I've been slightly busy this past while so it was most agreeable to have a day off today.  Janey Poppingham and I went for a pic-nic in the grounds of Poppingham Castle.  She didn't mind that we sat facing the railway and appeared happy enough that I had brought my camera.  The Poppingham down starting signal cleared before we had finished our first glass of champagne (that's a problem about pre-War modelling - no Nyetimber or suchlike available yet, so we had to slum it with a bottle of the Widow).  I got myself ready with the camera and, a few minutes later, 'J25' 0-6-0 No. 1988 chuffed slowly past with a lightweight goods train...

...then it was time for the roast beef sandwiches.

Please note that the skew-whiff and gone-a-missing chimney pots on the house are not as Mr Metcalfe intended.  Poppy has been doing a bit of work on them.

I used a flash and angled the camera with particular care to get that spiffing shiny plastic look for the tree trunks.  It takes a lot of effort to make model railway photographs look this bad.

Toodle-oo.

John

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1811 on: August 28, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »
Nice picture John, I hope the pic-nic went well. I have noticed that Mr Metcalfes chimney pots have a habit of going "skew-whiff", especially when one is certain that one has been nowhere near them!  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1812 on: August 29, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »
Nice picture John, I hope the pic-nic went well. I have noticed that Mr Metcalfes chimney pots have a habit of going "skew-whiff", especially when one is certain that one has been nowhere near them!  :hmmm:

Whilst they are still available, why not try substituting pieces of painted plastic drinking straws for the paper chimneypots?

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1813 on: August 29, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »
What a lovely photograph John and not at all spoiled by he wonky chimney pots.
My own problem with the pots is accidentally knocking them off with my clumsy hands.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1814 on: August 29, 2019, 10:29:28 AM »
Actually, if you look at the roof line of a row of older houses, you will see quite a lot of wonky pots, so you may be being a bit too realistic.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25%