!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 53503 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1305 on: February 10, 2019, 06:46:29 AM »
And mint sauce of course.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1306 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:50 AM »
Postcards from Poppingham

Hello Chums

Here at the Table-Top Railway, the 'Southern and Friends' weekend is going like clockwork.  Sir Herbert Walker will be pleased with the traffic levels and I am assured that he has no plan to electrify our little railway on the third rail system.  It's all very steamy here.  For the technically minded, our locomotives run on Direct Coal, rather than this new-fangled Digital Command Coal that we hear about.  Now for a couple of picture postcards:

The first view is of 'T9' 4-4-0 No. 304 with an Up fast goods train.  The 'Queen Mary' bogie brake van is ideal for this and Guard 'Coldstream' Monck is having a very comfortable run.  Many thanks to @Chris in Prague for the 'Palethorpe's' van.  It really fits into the vintage scene that I'm attempting to create.  PO vans and tank wagons were a staple of the Hornby '0' Gauge catalogue.

The second picture postcard shows S&DJR '2P' 4-4-0 No. 40 departing Poppingham station with a Down passenger service to somewhere on the 'Serene and Delightful'.  Although clearly unfinished, this view is quite good at showing the 'semi-scenic' look of the layouts that inspire Poppingham.  Unlike many of the earlier efforts which had pretty much no scenery at all, a lot of the layouts of the 1920s to 1950s had some sort of basic scenery - often a tad garish to our modern eyes.  The bright green flock 'grass' and the vivid trees are quite good at giving the 'look' that I'm striving for.

Having a lovely time - wish you were here.

Many thanks for looking and best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John

:hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:

Many thanks John, always good to see Poppingham
    regards Derek. 

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1307 on: February 10, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »
I would love a layout like this, I tried once with my 3-rail collection but when I left home years ago it had to be dismantled :(

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1308 on: February 10, 2019, 06:30:49 PM »
I love a nice Lamb Chop - yummy yummy yum yum  :D :D :D

With sprouts ?
With leeks. Proper Welsh :food:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1309 on: February 11, 2019, 09:28:50 AM »
Greetings and Best Wishes to George from Poppingham

Hello George @Bealman

I was sorry to see, on another thread, that your recovery has not been as smooth as we all hoped.  I was glad to read that you are now feeling a bit better.  I hope that your 'internal inspection' today goes well and that your recovery continues apace.

Best wishes from me and all the little people of Poppingham.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1310 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:02 AM »
Thanks, John. Your kind thoughts are very much appreciated, and checking out Poppingham cheers me up no end!  :thumbsup:

All the best,

George  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1311 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »
Thanks, John. Your kind thoughts are very much appreciated, and checking out Poppingham cheers me up no end!  :thumbsup:

All the best,

Wishing you a speedy recovery, George.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1312 on: February 11, 2019, 11:34:24 AM »
George, I also wasn’t aware that your recovery has not gone to plan.
I wish you all the best and hope you will be rnning trains again very soon.
Regards
Martin

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1313 on: February 11, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

At least I've got a fair bit of time to look at the forum and great threads such as this one.

Your NGSJ article was great, by the way, Martin. I have it here with me in hospital!  :beers:

George

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1314 on: February 11, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

At least I've got a fair bit of time to look at the forum and great threads such as this one.

Your NGSJ article was great, by the way, Martin. I have it here with me in hospital!  :beers:

George
Thanks Georrge - you can keep re-reading it  :D
Hopefully you will soon be on the mend.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1315 on: February 11, 2019, 04:52:41 PM »
A Special Working

Hello Chums

I'll have another beer or two on your behalf this afternoon.  :beers:

Webbo

Someone has to, Webbo. It seems the profits of the Victoria Bitter brewery have plummeted and they're on short time working without George in circulation ;D

It appears that there is a very temporary oversupply of 'Victoria Bitter' in NSW.  Some bright young things in South-East Scotland, the bit between the Forth and the Tweed, have decided to take immediate action to deal with the glut.  This has required a special train of wagons borrowed from British breweries to convey the precious traffic from Southampton docks.  The Southern Railway, being a jolly decent outfit all round, kindly made a 'T9', just repainted in the new livery, available to work the train all the way through.  And here it is: traffic originating from 'Down Under' passing the sidings on the Down line!

Thank you for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1316 on: February 11, 2019, 04:57:46 PM »
What a splendid photograph.
The Bealman Flyer.
I spent a few moments searching for the elusive Flossie only to realise that she’s actually aboard the locomotive.
A fine gesture to George though.
Martin

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1317 on: February 11, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »
A train named after me!  :-[

I am indeed honoured!  :beers:

Flossie is obviously of Australian descent and is a very intelligent sheep who knows where she's going.  ;D

What a lovely gesture!

After a long night having drips changed and battling serious constipation, what a pleasure and surprise to wake up to!!

Cheers John, and all the very best,

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1318 on: February 11, 2019, 08:25:10 PM »
...I spent a few moments searching for the elusive Flossie only to realise that she’s actually aboard the locomotive...

Yes, Neville Hill, who was at No. 301's regulator, said it was fine for her to travel on the engine... providing she stood on the fireman's side.  Did you spot her in the photograph of the GWR goods train on Port Perran / Trepol Bay?  Spending, as I do, a fair bit of time in Lakeland, I'll never be surprised at anywhere a Herdy will turn up!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1319 on: February 13, 2019, 03:58:21 PM »
LNER Again

Hello Chums

That's the 'Southern and Friends' operating session over and it's time for some lovely LNER.  While the Southern was in charge of the diagrams, newly allocated 'D11/2' 4-4-0 No. 6391 Wizard of the Moor was on Bobbington shed.  Geordie Stephenson, the Chargehand Fitter, removed the paint from her whistle and safety valves and then got an enthusiastic cleaner laddie to polish them until they shone like gold.
Harry, the local AA Patrol, left his trusty BSA 'M20' combination for a few minutes and chatted to me as I waited to obtain a photograph of No. 6391 emerging from the Bobbington Road bridge with a Down passenger train.

Much as I like the idea of Geordie and the wee laddie bulling up the 'D11/2' the truth is, I'm afraid, more prosaic.  I scribbled over the locomotive's relevant parts with a 'Sharpie'* marker!  Just the thing for someone as ham-fisted as me.  I think this little wheeze makes the Union Mills locomotives look spiffing.  I'm now investigating sources for lamps and enginemen.  It might be rather jolly to see Old Bill Dean and the rest of the chaps on engines displaying the correct lamp code.

* At least it is named after a Furness Railway engine!

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Cheerio.

John

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £250.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £165.00
Below Goal: £85.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything