!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 50418 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1215 on: January 08, 2019, 02:15:30 PM »
 :laughabovepost: :thankyousign:

Best wishes.

Poppy
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1216 on: January 11, 2019, 02:37:52 PM »
What-ho Chums.

Not much from Poppingham for a day or two as the continuing improvement work being done to the Forum meant that I kept getting a very bossy message, 'Non-valid picture file format' or some such non-understandable (to me) combination of words.  I'm firmly in the pre-Tommy Flowers era.  I thought about a photo-free post about 'Lessons from Poppingham' but concluded that this would be exquisite only in its tedium.  "Forum Friends Prefer Pictures", Poppy told me.  Therefore, it was time for some machine learning.  The machine would learn some manners and stop this disagreeable backchat.  I obtained a very floppy branch from a convenient lineside tree and proceeded to give the machine a sound thrashing.  Has this succeeded; let's see:

'D15' 'Super Claud' 4-4-0 No. 8828 accelerates past Poppingham Wood with an Up passenger train.  Please note a convenient lineside tree is still demonstrating distinct skew-whiffery...

And, for Forum Friends who prefer passenger locomotives to be crimson lake:

'Prince of Wales' 4-6-0 No. 5604 Enchantress drifts past Poppingham Castle (Ginger Biscuit Castle to the local wags!) with a Down Passenger working.  Driver Duke has seen the distant is 'on' and is taking things very easy.

Poppingham is now a working layout in a kind of 1930's style.  That was part of the plan.  The other part was to build a charming little town to fit in the middle of the railway.  The New Year's Resolution is to get busy with this.  I've been gazing in admiration at @Invicta Alec 's superb Metcalfe buildings! 

Many thanks for looking and special thanks to all those who are working so hard to make our Forum even better.

Best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1217 on: January 11, 2019, 07:08:27 PM »
I obtained a very floppy branch from a convenient lineside tree and proceeded to give the machine a sound thrashing.
You're not related to John Cleese by any chance?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #1218 on: January 11, 2019, 07:09:57 PM »
John,

I'm really looking forward to seeing you constructing your townscape. I believe that Poppingham will truly start to come alive once a few houses, a shop, a church or maybe the school or cafe are added.

I do recommend the Metcalfe kits. They are good fun to construct. They look great when they are finished and don't cost a fortune. Many will fit well into your layout's era. Good luck old chap.

Alec.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1219 on: January 11, 2019, 07:35:25 PM »
John,

I'm really looking forward to seeing you constructing your townscape. I believe that Poppingham will truly start to come alive once a few houses, a shop, a church or maybe the school or cafe are added.

I do recommend the Metcalfe kits. They are good fun to construct. They look great when they are finished and don't cost a fortune. Many will fit well into your layout's era. Good luck old chap.

Alec.
Very much seconded.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1220 on: January 12, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »
A Couple More Test Photographs

Hello Chums

I think that I might just have mastered what now needs to be done to add pictures.  Obviously, my good friend Acci Dent helped greatly.  If you don't mind me intruding on your patience, here are another two photographs to see if my previous success was a fluke.

A very quiet scene at the sidings.  Flossie the sheep appears to be standing on top of a piece of timber.  The Graham Farish Southern 'Queen Mary' brake van is a very nice model.  The red spheres are our version of 'Tommy Dot' ground signals and mark the clearance points for the sidings.

The action is taking place over at Poppingham station.  'Prince of Wales' 4-6-0 No. 5604 Enchantress waits in the station with a Down stopper whilst 'G2' 0-8-0 No. 9423 wheezes through with an Up mixed freight.  Seeing @Newportnobby 's lovely photographs and film of his newly-acquired BR example put me in the mood to give this LMS one some work to do.

I'll press the 'Post' button and see what happens...

Many thanks for looking and for your patience.

Pip-pip.

John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1221 on: January 12, 2019, 05:55:45 PM »
I presumed that was a statue of Flossie waiting to be transported to the local Estate. Surely Flossie herself wouldn't have strayed from the luscious grass?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1222 on: January 15, 2019, 02:48:52 PM »
Whoops-a-Daisy!

Hello Chums

Whoops-a-Daisy indeed; that well-known phenomenon (to me at least) strikes again!  I posted my latest pictures of Poppingham and then noticed the see-through tunnel.  Oh, bother!

Normally, 'Tea Cosy Tunnel' backs right on to the side-board of 25mm MDF, but, to obtain the picture, I rotated the layout through 90 degrees and there was a space between the tunnel and the sky effect back-board.  The result was sky where there ought to be blackness.  The layout is inspired by the model railways of the 1920s-1950s and the chaps and chapesses that built these would certainly not have allowed this sort of poor show.  Remedial action required!

I realise that the Up freight train, about to plunge into the newly-arranged gloom, is headed by an ex-LNWR '18" Goods' 0-6-0 No. 8589 which has not featured in any photographs from Poppingham until now.  Here it is again, passing the sidings, giving a better view of the locomotive: 

Hopefully, before long, we'll be able to see a picture of @dannyboy 's BR-liveried example (has it arrived yet, David?).

I presumed that was a statue of Flossie waiting to be transported to the local Estate. Surely Flossie herself wouldn't have strayed from the luscious grass?
Good point, thank you, Nick.  But I'm afraid that Flossie has a bit of a reputation for straying.  Herdies are meant to stay in their own territory, but I have to report that Mrs Heelis is forever being called out to bring Flossie home...

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1223 on: January 15, 2019, 02:55:30 PM »
Ive been away for a while but its great to come back and see some brilliant LMS trains its really cheered me up :)

Thanks

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1224 on: January 15, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
A lovely little loco.
Flossie is certainly becoming more and more adventurous.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1225 on: January 15, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »
Some nice pictures taken on a lovely sunny day(?) John. @Train Waiting  My loco' was only ordered yesterday tea-time, (just before the cucumber sandwiches), and, presumably, will have to go eastwards to the mainland, before it can then come westwards to Ireland! I do like yours though - plain is beautiful.
Toodle pip.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1226 on: January 15, 2019, 04:52:07 PM »
Ive been away for a while but its great to come back and see some brilliant LMS trains its really cheered me up :)

Thanks

Many thanks, Paul @paulprice .  It's great to see you back.

Especially for you, here's an all-LMS scene.  Hopefully, there is a bit of an ex-Midland look about it.

[Passed Fireman Neville Hill has set '2F' 0-6-0 No. 22958 back into a siding to allow Geoff Duke and his special crimson lake '2P' 4-4-0 No. 443 to pass with an Up express.  The Down sidings are busy today.  Lord Poppingham, who boarded the train at Poppingham station, is a director of the company and will be very glad to view this busy scene.  Old Bill Dean, the Senior Driver and a friend of Lord Poppingham, told me that Sir Henry arranged for the '2P' to be painted in this livery as it is a regular on this line and he thought 'His Lordship' would like it.  Nice man, Sir Henry and very keen on all sorts of things.]

All the very best.

John

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1227 on: January 15, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »
I see that Flossie has managed to sneak into the photograph again.

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1228 on: January 15, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
Was Flossie bought up on a train by her mother?  :hmmm: She certainly seems hefted to the environment.  :)

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1229 on: January 15, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »

Thanks

Many thanks, Paul @paulprice .  It's great to see you back.

Especially for you, here's an all-LMS scene.  Hopefully, there is a bit of an ex-Midland look about it.

[Passed Fireman Neville Hill has set '2F' 0-6-0 No. 22958 back into a siding to allow Geoff Duke and his special crimson lake '2P' 4-4-0 No. 443 to pass with an Up express.  The Down sidings are busy today.  Lord Poppingham, who boarded the train at Poppingham station, is a director of the company and will be very glad to view this busy scene.  Old Bill Dean, the Senior Driver and a friend of Lord Poppingham, told me that Sir Henry arranged for the '2P' to be painted in this livery as it is a regular on this line and he thought 'His Lordship' would like it.  Nice man, Sir Henry and very keen on all sorts of things.]

All the very best.

John

Brilliant thanks for the update, I am jealous of your brilliant locomotives but also you fantastic little layout

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £325.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything