New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 45198 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #795 on: August 10, 2018, 09:07:00 PM »
I think Mito has got an excellent way of putting things when it comes to this 'hobby' of ours. I can't tell you how much I have learnt by making mistakes, (as he says, "if you don't like it, start again"), plus, of course, being a member of this forum helps! And remember - it's your layout/train set!  Enjoy the wine. :beers:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:08:57 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit! »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #796 on: August 10, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »
And Brian, are you suggesting that if we didnít follow this hobby we wouldnít drink? :D

Good heavens no! It's more how would you"use" the wine. I tried some rough cider this evening. I think I need a skin transplant on my tongue and throat!  :pint:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #797 on: August 10, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
I think your 'tea cosy' tunnel is better than the original but am not sure that's what you want to hear :uneasy:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #798 on: August 11, 2018, 07:30:07 AM »
The tunnel is definitely more train set than model railway. Would some very plastic trees 🌲 enhance it?  :hmmm:

Didnít realise it was mandatory, pass me another glass of Rioja please.  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #799 on: August 11, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »
There is an excellent set of pictures of a Hornby double-track tunnel from the early 1960s, here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-5092-Double-track-Tunnel-plastic-good-complete-c1961-/173407623162

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #800 on: August 11, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »
I think the hill and the castle should have something of the 'toy-like' appearance of the Hornby tunnel, to be keeping with your concept, John.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #801 on: August 11, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
Thank you very much, chaps, for all your kind comments and observations.

There is an excellent set of pictures of a Hornby double-track tunnel from the early 1960s, here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-5092-Double-track-Tunnel-plastic-good-complete-c1961-/173407623162

Thank you, Chris, this is pretty much what I had in mind.  It has a definite charm and is a reminder of simpler times.

The tunnel is definitely more train set than model railway. Would some very plastic trees 🌲 enhance it?  :hmmm:

Many thanks, Keith; that's exactly what I want to hear!  Yes, I think some trees and bushes are called for.  Maybe not plastic.  Perhaps some of the K&M range from Peco.

I like the tunnel.
Do I remember correctly, 55 years ago, was my tea cosy tunnel finished with a sort of dirty green grit scattered somewhat sparsely over the top?
If so, and I may well be wrong, you could achieve that with a bit of gritty scatter material.

Thank you, Martin.  I never had a tunnel all these years ago (I've got one now, though!), but I think that scatter material is essential.

I think your 'tea cosy' tunnel is better than the original but am not sure that's what you want to hear :uneasy:

Thank you very much, Mick.  That observation, taken in the context of the other comments, is exactly what I want to hear.  I'm attempting to make a model of a very good train set - the kind of thing that would have captivated and inspired me when I was 10.  Effectively, a train set that is coming close to a model railway*.  Therefore, a tunnel that is a bit better than the originals is great, providing it is still recognisable as a 'tea cosy'.

*By contrast, what I am trying particularly hard to avoid is an effort at a model railway that is so poorly executed that it looks like a fairly duff train set.  I expect that we have all seen these at exhibitions.

I really am ever so grateful for all these kind comments.

With best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #802 on: August 11, 2018, 04:42:02 PM »
I think the hill and the castle should have something of the 'toy-like' appearance of the Hornby tunnel, to be keeping with your concept, John.

Thank you, Chris.  My thoughts exactly.  And I have being doing a little bit of work today...

['2P' 4-4-0 No. 443, inexplicably in crimson lake, passes Poppingham Castle with a Down through train.]

Much, much, more to do, of course.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #803 on: August 13, 2018, 09:11:59 PM »
 :hellosign: Thanks for your latest updates John (&Poppy), the tunnel looks spot on on your railway & yes my best mate is Jack  :beers:  ;) ;
     regards Derek.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #804 on: August 13, 2018, 09:24:08 PM »
Just One More

I know; I know.  The 'Table-Top Railway (Mk IV)', which Poppy decided to call Poppingham was meant to be an exercise in restraint.  A sort of minimalist train set.

I have mentioned before that I tend to like visible storage yards and Poppingham has a pair of two-track yards at the opposite side to the passenger station.  At present, these are called Up and Down sidings but I'm thinking of more interesting names.  At least this was the case until today.  The Down sidings now have a third track, built using spare material.  I don't yet know if this is an operational boon (another train) or an affront to the minimalist symmetry of the previous arrangement.  Here it is, from above:-

The short siding is fine for a single coach train (GWR Railcar?) or an 0-6-0 with three wagons and a long-wheelbase four-wheeled brake van.  The middle siding has lost capacity for one wagon and is now 'four and a brake van'.  It still just copes with a 4-4-0 and a pair of carriages, providing these are shorter carriages.  The straight siding takes a 4-6-0 and two longer carriages, such as the Bulleid ones, or an 0-6-0 with 'five and a brake van'.  An 0-8-0 fits in providing its train has a short-wheelbase brake van.

I'll play with this arrangement for a day or two and then decide whether the advantages of another train outweigh the disadvantages.

Many thanks for looking and all good wishes.

Toodle-pip!

John

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #805 on: August 13, 2018, 09:52:01 PM »

Thank you, Chris.  My thoughts exactly.  And I have being doing a little bit of work today...

['2P' 4-4-0 No. 443, inexplicably in crimson lake, passes Poppingham Castle with a Down through train.]

Much, much, more to do, of course.

Best wishes.

John

Looks very good, John.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #806 on: August 18, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
D6577

Hello Chums

As discussed earlier in Brian's @Mito excellent thread 'Off on a Journey - the Departure' the Graham Farish BRCW 'Type 3' Bo-Bo is a good locomotive.  It certainly gets around: Cornwall to Somerset to wherever the Table-Top Railway (Mark III) is set today.

And it's not really a happy story in (presumably) the late 'sixties.  Exactly when I first became interested in railways and model railways.  Steam has gone (and is banned, apart from 4472).  The Down line is dead and the Up line is dying.  The former secondary main line is now reduced to single line working (the trusty 'Model D' having been re-allocated to MK IV, Poppingham, leaving the 'Combi' for Mk III!) and freight only.  A scene of decay and is there worse to come?

Maybe, just maybe, stirrings for a better future can be seen in the closed goods yard where some hardy preservationists are working, in the open, on an 'A2', '14XX' and 'Princess Coronation'.  They also have a collection of guards vans where they go to drink tea when it rains.  The preservationists had hoped to take over the station buildings as a base, but BR demolished them together with the Down platform.

I'm sorry to inflict all this gloom on you, chums, but it was the only way that I could photograph the 'Type 3' in action, as diesel traction is banned from Poppingham due to the present weather conditions.

Thank you for looking.

With best wishes.

Pip-pip!

John

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:18:12 AM by Train Waiting, Reason: Insert photograph »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #807 on: August 18, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »
Thank you for this, John. I had not realised that you also had a model of BR SR BRC&W Co, Type 3 D6577, (later Class 33). So, D6577 will be venturing forth not only from Cornwall to Somerset but also further afield, Dorset, Devon?

That is a fine collection of brake vans, models of which I have a great liking for.

Don't you mean that steam traction is banned from Poppingham due to the present weather conditions? Or am I missing something? In any case, I hope that you will be keeping D6577. 8-)

I wish the preservations well and hope that they are able to buy a goods shed in which to work under cover, in future. 8-)

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #808 on: August 18, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »

Don't you mean that steam traction is banned from Poppingham due to the present weather conditions? Or am I missing something?

Many thanks, Chris. 

The only thing you might be missing is my silliness!

I have decided to turn the tables on diesels by banning them and blaming the weather!

At present we are steam only.

[Union Pacific 'Consolidation' No. 723 has the highball and heads a short freight past the yards near Poppingham railroad depot.]

The 'seven twenty-three' is by Bachmann and runs as sweet as you like.  It towers over the British engines although it is to 1:160 scale.

I expect that the 'diesel ban' will be broken by a GWR railcar; my excuse is that if it is GWR it's all right.

Best wishes.

John

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #809 on: August 18, 2018, 08:59:22 PM »
Not silly at all. I like what I like, Rule 1 in its purest form! A class 37 is on the wish list if a green one ever appears at a price I can afford. I have a new Dapol Manor but suffering from shakeitis it scares the life out of me to handle it.  All my other steam locos are old, strong and sturdy. A bit like me I suppose, well at least the first adjective. :worried:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £265.00
Above Goal: £210.00
Site Currency: GBP
482% 
December Donations

Advertise Here