!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 137063 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #2730 on: May 21, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »
7 bells is what I usually kick out of something I can't get to work :-[
Signed
Another Jinty lover as Wolverton Works had a few and it's where my Dad worked.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2731 on: May 21, 2020, 04:35:19 PM »
Boring Signals

Hello Chums

My recent birthday resulted in a lovely present - the last two signals required to complete (apart from tommy dots) the signalling scheme for the Table-Top Railway.  I like the PD Marsh signals.  They look brilliant on a proper scenic railway as @port perran  has shown with St Agnes (Cornwall) Whiskey Distillery, but also, in the correct context, can look splendidly train-setty.

I fit the signals to the layer-cake baseboard using headless track pins.  Not the long, slim and elegant Peco SL-14 pins, but something shorter and fatter.  I file the base of the signals flat and then it's the boring bit.  After that, I stick the headless pin in the hole with a dollop of 'superglue'.  The first photograph shows the process underway on the Table-Top Railway's extravagantly-equipped engineering workshop.  And here is the finished article...

I find simple little jobs like this very satisfying; both for the fun and relaxation of doing them, and then seeing another aspect of the layout completed.

Many thanks for looking and all good wishes.

Pip-pip.

John
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:10:58 AM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2732 on: May 21, 2020, 05:44:18 PM »
Thank you, John, for this excellent tip. Cant Cove needs to have signals added. (I have a signalbox diagram from the real-life Bude line station it is based on, so I know where they will go.) I also plan to use PD Marsh signals, specifically, the LMSR pattern latticework ones as seen on @port perran's layouts as they are vaguely reminiscent of LSWR  latticework ones plus some with 'concrete' posts substituted in the SR style. Eventually, Dapol will be (?) producing working SR  single post signals. I have some (fixed) SR ground signals bought online already.

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2733 on: May 22, 2020, 12:57:53 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
Many thanks John, another top tip to use when needed,  :thankyousign:
    stay safe regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2734 on: May 23, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
Delivering the Goods from the Beal & Castle Eden Railway

Hello Chums

Over on @Bealman 's brilliant 'Beal & Castle Eden... Restoration?' thread, we saw a BR(W) goods train headed by a '94xx' 0-6-0PT.  The cement wagon and that lovely NE bogie van have been shunted out on the way (at Southampton?) but the rest of the train is intact and is seen here passing through Poppingham station on the down line - presumably the down line is correct for 'Down Under'.

This train was considered a Very Important Working on the Table-Top Railway and Mr Hedley has rostered old Bill Dean, our Senior Driver, to work it.  As usual, Bill has 'his' 'Dean Goods' 0-6-0, No. 2537.  Bill and Freddie Frith, his fireman, spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon giving the engine a special polish; this is a common Sunday afternoon ritual for these two dedicated enginemen.

If only Bertie Poppingham had been so eager to do things properly!  After parking his 'SS' behind 'The Crown' and in a hurry to catch his train, he left the station gate open which provided an opportunity not to be missed...

The station flower bed was newly-planted, courtesy of the splendid people at Harburn Hobbies; now look what's happening.  It'll take Lord Pandaford's easy charm and a few pints of Mable's finest to sort this one out.

And just look at Poppingham Pond today - so still that it could be a piece of glass!

Many thanks for looking at this nonsense.

All good wishes.

Tickety-tonk.

John
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:46:03 PM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2735 on: May 23, 2020, 09:33:26 PM »
Great to see my little train made it as far as Poppingham, and hauled by such a wonderful locomotive, too!  :thumbsup:

The good people of Poppingham are indeed lucky to have such a speedy international service!  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2736 on: Yesterday at 08:54:05 PM »
A 'Cauliflower' on a Down Freight

Hello Chums

I've been sticking down pavements and suchlike, and thinking about how I'm going the fill that bare bit in the centre of the baseboard where, in '00' gauge' there would be a space for the operator.  There will be a little alley down the side of 'Mable's'; the Metcalfe cottage is temporary, but helps show the effect I'm after.  The idea is for this to be some sort of commercial premises, but with a different roofline for variety.  Further along the High Street will be a couple of shops from a Kestrel kit.  There will, hopefully, eventually be some more buildings on the station side of the High Street, to the right of the AA BSA 'M20' motor-bicycle combination.

In the foreground, ex-LNWR 'Cauliflower' 0-6-0 No. 8589 passes with a short down freight train.

Thank you for looking and best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2737 on: Yesterday at 09:00:40 PM »
Where did the cow come from, or have I blinked and missed something?  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #2738 on: Yesterday at 09:02:53 PM »
That's a skinny cow!

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #2739 on: Yesterday at 09:43:53 PM »
Where did the cow come from, or have I blinked and missed something
Its just mooved  in

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2740 on: Yesterday at 09:50:57 PM »
Where did the cow come from, or have I blinked and missed something?  ???

Hello David

:whistle:

The horses came from Peco's 'Modelscene' range.

Best wishes.

John

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2741 on: Yesterday at 10:16:32 PM »
My apologies to 'Trigger' , I think my glasses need a clean.  :-[
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2742 on: Yesterday at 10:19:22 PM »
My apologies to 'Trigger' , I think my glasses need a clean.  :-[

:beers:

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #2743 on: Yesterday at 11:05:51 PM »
Haha, David  :P (Sound of upside down laughter)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal