!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 114138 times)

Bealman, Biggy, CliveB, Nighthawk, Chris in Prague and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #2325 on: February 10, 2020, 02:14:59 PM »
Stop knocking us Yorkshiremen!  ;). I chose to live in Ireland just so I can have the pleasure of returning home 2 or 3 times a year.  ;). And as for having short arms and deep pockets - don't know what you are talking about. But my printer is printing black and white in white and white now, so I suppose I will have to break out the new ink cartridge.  :).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2326 on: February 10, 2020, 09:23:01 PM »
A Little More Progress

Hello Chums

Firstly, thank you so much, Craig, for that helpful information about the stable.  You are indeed fortunate to have 37 beautiful horses.  And Splash is a lovely name for that fine fellow.  @exmouthcraig

I gave the layout a birl round today to do some work at the station side.  I fitted the last piece of fencing, for the slope at the platform ramp...

which sort of fitted - incredible!  Here it is again with John Farmer's signal box back in place:

Moving further along, here is a view over The Square:

'7F' 'Austin Seven' 0-8-0 No. 9578 drifts through Poppingham with a down freight train.  The rear of the new retail premises, across The Square from 'The Crown', can be seen.  The last time you saw this building, it was a basic shell and in beige undercoat.  It's now fully painted in a vivid colour scheme typical of the Table-Top Railway. 

I have a couple of closer views of the shop, but I have imposed myself enough on your patience for one post. 

Many thanks for looking and all good wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Paddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2327 on: February 10, 2020, 10:01:05 PM »
Lovely signal cabin, John.  Very realistically painted for you though?

You are not going all Pendon on us are you?

;)

Kind regards

Paddy
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:16:24 PM by Paddy »
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBWZv78QooTejcYi5afQBg/videos

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #2328 on: February 10, 2020, 10:10:43 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
     Many thanks John, all looking totally spiffing tha nos
         regards Derek (Yorkshire born & bred & proud of it)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2329 on: February 12, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
Shopping

Hello Chums

The Poppinghamonians now have their own provisions merchant.  Unfortunately, the proprietor, a pukka, trained grocer no less, doesn't have a name yet, because Mr Arkwright keeps superimposing himself, his till and Nurse Gladys Emmanuel on my imagination each time I try to think of a name.

That's the rear of the retail premises.  By the way, with a bit of abuse to another nice, unsuspecting Kestrel kit, that elevation could be the front of a rather fine house, rather than the back door of a shop.  Now round to the front door...

I'm ashamed to say that I quite like that picture.  It's tiny a little bit like a 'Thirties scene that looks like it might have been modelled in the 'Thirties.  Which is, of course, what Poppingham is all about.  The shop window displays are cut up from a tiny picture out of one of these 'River Cruise' brochures that fall out of so many publications nowadays.  They are mounted on a 'Plastikard' Kontraption that holds them a little bit back from the windows.

And I admit it!  That's my Brough Superior 'SS100' in front of the shop; I had just popped in for a bottle of dry sherry and a quarter of 'Quality Street' as Janey Poppingham is coming round this evening.

This is meant to be a model railway forum, so I had better mention the train.  It's a down freight (LMS, so a freight) hauled by '7F' 0-8-0 No. 9578.  These 'Austin Sevens' ought to have been good engines, but the LMS insisted on using inadequate axle boxes.  Mr Hedley at Bobbington Shed is taking no chances and rostered Old Bill Dean and Passed Fireman Neville Hill to this working.  Bill could be relied upon to take good care of the locomotive's axle boxes.  I bumped into Neville down at 'Mable's' a few minutes ago (I was having a swift 'alf as a sharpener before Janey arrives) and he told me that Bill worked the engine so gently that the fire was licking back and burning his hands.  Now, Neville is a big lad and has hands like Belfast hams, so I thought it only right to treat his mild discomfort with some of Mable's fine, foaming ale.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must dash as Janey is due in a minute and Mrs Hall will have our dinner ready - sea bream followed by Spotted Dick.  Lovely!

Lovely signal cabin, John.  Very realistically painted for you though?

You are not going all Pendon on us are you?

;)

Kind regards

Paddy

Yes, Paddy, you have me bang to rights.  The signal box in (hopefully) BR(S) colours was for my abandoned British 'N' gauge layout back in 2007/2008.  I'm using it on Poppingham until I can get around to building the two kits I have in stock.  When John Saxby at the Sidings has it, poor John Farmer at the station has to stand outside.  And vice versa.  The proper signalboxes for the layout will have an appropriate simplified paint finish.

Incidentally, I've been to Pendon a couple of times.  By train to Appleford Halt and then a jolly nice walk.  Pendon's beyond excellent.  Now for the admission!  I think that I spent more time with the late John Ahern's Madder Valley than I did with the 'Vale Scene'.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Tickety-tonk.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2330 on: February 12, 2020, 08:23:49 PM »
Unfortunately, the proprietor, a pukka grocer no less, doesn't have a name yet

But I think I may have experience of his pies :laugh:

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2331 on: February 12, 2020, 08:41:29 PM »
Hi John ( @Train Waiting )

My wife and daughter took me to Pendon for my birthday last year.  I have to agree, there is something magical about Madder Valley.  The Vale Scene is stunning but I also love the wooden viaduct.

Well worth a visit.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBWZv78QooTejcYi5afQBg/videos

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #2332 on: February 12, 2020, 09:02:30 PM »
Shopping

The Poppinghamonians now have their own provisions merchant.  Unfortunately, the proprietor, a pukka, trained grocer no less, doesn't have a name yet, because Mr Arkwright keeps superimposing himself, his till and Nurse Gladys Emmanuel on my imagination each time I try to think of a name.

That's the rear of the retail premises.  By the way, with a bit of abuse to another nice, unsuspecting Kestrel kit, that elevation could be the front of a rather fine house, rather than the back door of a shop.  Now round to the front door...

I'm ashamed to say that I quite like that picture.  It's tiny a little bit like a 'Thirties scene that looks like it might have been modelled in the 'Thirties.  Which is, of course, what Poppingham is all about.

Don't be ashamed, it sounds like you feel like you've achieved what you set out to do, and we're all enjoying the updates.

Shop names, just think of traditional English names such as Smith, Thompson etc
Round where I grew up all the grocers, bakers and butches were Birkshaw, all cousins of each other.

or you could give in and get a Morris minor...

Mind if I join you in the pub?
Black Ewe has retrieved me from the Old Cobblers...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:03:56 PM by Black Sheep »

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #2333 on: February 12, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »
I always liked "Robin Snest"! (Remember the Liver Birds?)

These days the Tin`ter Net can help <https://biznamewiz.com/food-grocery-store-names/>

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2334 on: February 15, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »
A 'Bulldog' on the Up Goods

Hello Chums

This morning's up goods was entirely formed of vans and was worked by a S&DJR locomotive - '3F' 0-6-0 No. 66.  The S&DJR had ten of these locomotives, receiving five in 1896 and another five in 1902.  No. 66 was the last of the 1896 batch and was built for the S&D by the Midland Railway at its Derby Works.  She was originally one of the Midland's Class 'M' goods engines and was later reboilered with a 'G7' boiler and Belpaire firebox, becoming Class '3F'.  It's in this form that we see her, probably sometime in the late 'Twenties, as she was absorbed into LMS stock in 1930 and renumbered to No. 3211.  These were popular locomotives on the S&DJR and were called 'Bulldogs' by the enginemen.

Incidentally, the S&D wasn't the only joint line to have this useful class; the M&GNJR had 16 of them.  These became part of LNER stock in 1936 and the four which had received 'G7' boilers became Class 'J41'.

Some SuperScary semi-scenic work can be seen in progress at the bottom left of the photograph.  The big black thing holding messy stuff in place is a paperweight which is inscribed 'Midland Rly Co'.  Another Derby Works product, I assume.

Pip-pip.

John

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2335 on: February 15, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »
To be honest, I never noticed the black intruder bottom left.

I was too busy counting how many beer wagons were in the train  ;) :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2336 on: February 15, 2020, 03:33:42 PM »
John, I like the house!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2337 on: February 17, 2020, 07:05:36 PM »
Up Platform

Hello Chums

Now that the shop is ready; the stone setts have been laid and the pavement has been put in place.  This has had the agreeable consequence of defining the back edge of the up platform.  We were discussing platform widths on Derek's excellent West Porthsea layout thread and I mentioned that the finished platform widths on Poppingham would be narrower than the underlying platform.  This is what I had in mind.  The balsa platform that I put in is 2 1/4" wide, but the end of the up platform seen in this photograph is only 1 3/8" wide.  The rest of it is hidden by SuperScary semi-scenic stuff.

I then made a jolly fine mess with lightweight 'Polyfilla', paint, PVA and vivid flock to create a totally unconvincing representation of a gentle, grassed slope behind the platform ramp.

Here's a view along the platform:-

The over-wide down platform will also receive narrowing treatment in due course.  In the meantime, fencing for this end of the up platform is a priority... well in as much as anything is ever a priority on Poppingham.

By the way, the up passenger train is headed by ex-LNWR 'Prince of Wales' 4-6-0 No. 5604 Enchantress.

Pip-pip.

John

@cornish yorkie

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #2338 on: February 18, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   Looking good John, very effective scenic modelling  :thumbsup:
      regards Derek

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2339 on: February 18, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
Great work, as ever, John.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal