!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 97483 times)

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1965 on: October 29, 2019, 01:08:33 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Many thanks John, yes totally agree there are lots of flat parts of the UK, I used to live in the Vale of York. (Selby)
      regards Derek.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1966 on: October 29, 2019, 07:52:44 PM »
Bert Goes About His Duties

Hello Chums

Earlier today, Martin posted a splendid picture of a 'B12/3' with a train of teak carriages on his fabulous Trepol Bay layout.  I replied that I had seen the same train at Poppingham and here's the proof.  Dick Trevithick is in charge of the 4-6-0 as she crosses the level crossing.  Meanwhile, Bert and his 'mechanical horse' wait patiently with an important delivery for the Crown in Station Square.

The load of barrels of fine, foaming ale is from the spectacularly spiffing 'Harburn Hamlet' range.  I simply take a 'Lothian' motor omnibus down the Leith Walk to Harburn Hobbies' shop.  Forum Friends less conveniently located can order from the shop's website.

The new owner has not moved in to the semi-detached villa, so I parked my Brough Superior motor bicycle there and walked down to the lineside take the photograph.

Many thanks for looking (and to Martin for the inspiration).

Best wishes and tickety-tonk.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1967 on: October 29, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
A splendid photograph John.
The B12/3 made excellent progress down to Cornwall today, a testiment to her reliability.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1968 on: October 29, 2019, 08:24:58 PM »
The B12/3 made excellent progress down to Cornwall today, a testiment to her reliability.

Hmm... somehow one of her sisters took a wrong turn and arrived in Germany  :doh:

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1969 on: October 30, 2019, 07:41:54 PM »
Thank you for these three photos. of what is, undoubtedly, a very attractive loco.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1970 on: October 31, 2019, 12:12:24 PM »
The Art of (Very) Course Modelling

Hello Chums

Phew - my eyes are relieved to get this done.

It's the inn sign for 'The Crown' and it's tiny.

The 'Trackside Signs' self-adhesive signs are actually pre-cut, which I hadn't realised.  This made things easier.  A tiny bit of 'Plasticard' and a strip of paper make up the body of the inn sign.  The printed signs were stuck on to that and any white bits showing were then roughly attacked with a big, black marker pen!

Very coarse modelling indeed!

The plan, such as there is ever a plan, is to orientate the building to make the inn sign visible from the normal layout viewing angles.

Many thanks for looking and for putting up with this hamfisted effort.

Best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1971 on: October 31, 2019, 12:28:36 PM »
Nice bit of work John - I think, (my eyes are a bit like yours  :)). I would be interested to see how you 'hang' the sign.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1972 on: October 31, 2019, 12:44:13 PM »
Is that a groat on the left? :goggleeyes:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1973 on: October 31, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »
Is that a groat on the left? :goggleeyes:

Very worn United States penny (1 cent) by the look of it.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1974 on: October 31, 2019, 01:10:46 PM »
That's right, Nick.  Thank you for the picture showing a vastly better example than my one.

I was conscious that not everyone reading the Forum might be completely sure of the size of a United Kingdom penny, so I put a US one in the picture as well.

Mick, I think a groat was a silver coin.  Worth fourpence, I think; in proper money!

John

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1975 on: October 31, 2019, 01:52:47 PM »
Nice bit of work John - I think, (my eyes are a bit like yours  :)). I would be interested to see how you 'hang' the sign.

Thank you, David.

This is the plan... a pin through the front wall!

I have copied the general idea from an article in a recent Railway Modeller by Craig Tiley.  He made a very nice inn from a couple of Peco stationmaster's houses.  The conversion required clever work to get the roofs right.  My (very) course modelling effort is simply a Kestrel farmhouse.

I'm aware that the reference is appallingly poor and will post a proper one when I have had a rummage through the magazine pile.

By the way, on my screen, the model is about twice full-size.  In its place, in the middle of the layout, the paint job doesn't look quite that bad.  (Very) course modelling indeed!

Best wishes.

Pip-pip.

John

Reference: Railway Modeller, August 2019, pages 684-685.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:54:30 PM by Train Waiting, Reason: Reference added »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1976 on: October 31, 2019, 04:51:04 PM »
That’s a fearsome looking pole for the pub sign John  :D.
Nice work though....my eyes are very much like yours and find tiny detailing work somewhat challenging.
I look forward to The Crown serving fine pints of foaming, frothy ale. No doubt supplied by the Headland or Castle breweries.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1977 on: October 31, 2019, 06:47:15 PM »
One of the blessings of being short-sighted is that my eyes (without glasses) are very good for close-up, detailed work. Fortunately, my hands are still fine for delicate work, too, and I enjoy it but I can well imagine the problems others experience in 2mm Scale. Often advancing age and the inability to cope with fine, detail work is cited by eBay sellers selling off their collections.

But, on a far more positive note, I'm sure that "The Crown" will be a genuine 'Free House' and will serve fine pints of foaming, frothy ale from a variety of West Country breweries as enjoyed by the locals on their summer holidays? Both the LMSR and LNER provide through trains on Summer Saturdays to Devon and Cornwall. The Alliance of West Country Breweries will be sending their best salesman around before the inn opens! The Alliance comprises: the "Castle Brewery", Cant Cove and the "Headland Brewery", Port Perran, in Cornwall; in Somerset, there is the "Creech Brewery" and "Sam's Cider" plus, in Dorset, "Gunnings Brewery", Britminster.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1978 on: November 01, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
The sign is looking very good (I sound like a soothsayer).  :thumbsup:

It seems that whilst the crown will be serving traditional fine foaming ales it is fully embracing the modern trend of “al fresco”.  :D

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1979 on: November 01, 2019, 08:30:09 AM »
The sign is looking very good (I sound like a soothsayer).  :thumbsup:

It seems that whilst the crown will be serving traditional fine foaming ales it is fully embracing the modern trend of “al fresco”.  :D

Very many thanks, Keith.

I'm off for a day with one of my non-employers but I still couldn't resist test-fitting the roof (part of!) now that the first coat of paint has dried.

Modern trends are strictly off-limits here at Poppingham.

'The Crown' has turned 90o for the photograph.  A supply from the Headland Brewery has been delivered by Bert and Bertie Poppingham has arrived to check on matters.

And, as it is now November, Flossie has had her hair specially done and is waiting for Herdy to turn up.  Unfortunately, I don't have a sheep wagon (the Highland had some very interesting double-deck ones) so Herdy will arrive from one of Mrs Heelis' farms in a cattle truck.  This traffic will originate in Coniston. [ @chrism !]

Thank you, Keith and other Friends of Poppingham for all your very kind comments.

I hope to see you in 'The Crown' when it's finished!

Best wishes and cheerie-bye.

John

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here