!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 87449 times)

Offline joe cassidy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1650 on: June 12, 2019, 06:31:42 PM »
Yes - we do, get glass bottles delivered to the door old style, it's a few more pence per pint but it saves on the plastic and glass is so much better for the environment, as glass can be 100% recycled back but plastic not all of it. Glass bottles are making a comeback now - save the planet!

So when I drink beer, or wine, or anything else in a glass bottle, I'm saving the planet  :beers:

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #1651 on: June 12, 2019, 06:48:50 PM »
Yes - we do, get glass bottles delivered to the door old style, it's a few more pence per pint but it saves on the plastic and glass is so much better for the environment, as glass can be 100% recycled back but plastic not all of it. Glass bottles are making a comeback now - save the planet!

So when I drink beer, or wine, or anything else in a glass bottle, I'm saving the planet  :beers:

Beer or wine is also one of your "Five a Day" - both barley and grapes are vegetables  :laugh:

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #1652 on: June 12, 2019, 08:17:22 PM »
If I drink whiskey and beer the same day can I count barley twice ?

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1653 on: June 13, 2019, 07:59:42 PM »
An Everyday Scene

Hello Chums

I had to collect a small item from the railway's goods shed today so I drove down in the Jaguar.  The level crossing gates were closed which gave me an excuse to dilly-dally and take a photograph of a passing Up passenger train hauled by '2P' 4-4-0 No. 700.

Nothing special; just an everyday scene.  As he opened the gates, Signalman John Saxby said that he would get the kettle on so that I could join him for tea and cake once I had collected the box from the shed.  Mrs Saxby's walnut cake - absolutely spiffing!

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John

[Locomotive by Union Mills and an absolute beauty, coaches by Graham Farish, Jaguar by Oxford Diecast, and level crossing, signalbox and Flossie by PECO.]

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1654 on: June 13, 2019, 08:04:40 PM »
Thank you John for a lovely, simple photograph.

An everyday scene indeed. And what a pleasant way to idle a few minutes away watching the train pass by. It transports us back to a more relaxed, unhurried age which, somehow, has been overtaken by modern day stress and rush.

Oh well.....thatís progress, apparently.

By the way, Iím sure everyone is curious, what was in the box?

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1655 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:31 PM »
Temporarily Nationalized

Hello Chums

The clock at the Table-Top Railway normally stops at Hogmanay 1938, but today it has run on to 1957.

The last 'Dean Goods' in BR service, No. 2538 of 89A (Oswestry) is seen here passing the Sidings on the Down line on an enthusiasts' special.  And, yes, the crimson and cream carriages have the 'W' prefix!

The goods shed has acquired rainwater goods and some superscary semi-scenic work has overtaken the loading bank.  This gives Flossie (we knew her great-great grandmother!) an opportunity for some luncheon.

Thank you for looking and best wishes.

Goodbye.

John

PS She's actually No. 2516 but, I'm given to understand, will shortly become No. 2538 and will appear on Cant Cove later this year once she has been converted to run on that new-fangled Digital Command Coal.  She's another fabulous locomotive from Union Mills.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1656 on: June 15, 2019, 07:18:22 AM »
Excellent super scary work. Flossieís luncheon looks very lush, must be all that rain youíve been having. Good job that you completed the rainwater goods in time, I canít see any puddles!   ;)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1657 on: June 15, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
Ordeal by Home Movie

Hello Chums

One advantage of my temporary 'timeshift' to the nineteen fifties is the availability of colour home movie film.  Apologies for the quality of this film; I think it might be 8mm film that I was using.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/leryqyedmqc1dtx/BR%20Dean%20Goods.MOV?dl=0

The Union Mills 'Dean Goods' passing the Sidings on the Down line with an enthusiasts' special.  Looks like she's steaming well on the old-fashioned Direct Coal that is used at Poppingham!  Once she has completed her run, she'll start the long journey to Cant Cove.  I look forward to seeing photographs of her there in due course.

Excellent super scary work. Flossie’s luncheon looks very lush, must be all that rain you’ve been having. Good job that you completed the rainwater goods in time, I can’t see any puddles!   ;)

Many thanks, Keith.  Four coats of Javis No. 10 'Light Meadow Green' has done the trick!  The recent rain has made our lawns here look just like this.  I could do with borrowing a 1:1 scale Flossie.

Hopefully, the next time you hear from me I'll have returned to the 'twenties and 'thirties where I feel much more at home.  I have visited 1957 Poppingham in disguise, as I don't want to be recognised and to find out about my friends.  I'm worried that some of them are not with us in 1957.

Many thanks for looking and best wishes.

Bye-bye.

John

[ @Chris in Prague If you are happy with your engine, please advise and I'll do the necessary. J]

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #1658 on: June 15, 2019, 12:30:59 PM »
Great photos John and I especially like the film.  Ivo Peters would be proud of both.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1659 on: June 15, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
Many thanks, John, for this movie from late Spring 1957 and facilitating the purchase and test running of what will be 2538 (of 89A, Oswestry) the very last 'Dean Goods' in BR service (withdrawn that May after completion of her enthusiast railtour duties). The loco. has been specially cleaned and polished for her final weeks and is, indeed, running very well with her trainload of fortunate railway enthusiasts, including her new owner, Lord Trevelver, enjoying the comforts of BR WR's latest BR Standard coaches in their new Crimson & Cream livery. It was a long journey from North Wales to Poppingham but the passengers were very well looked after before the return journey to Swindon Works where No. 2538 will have a heavy general overhaul paid for by Lord Trevelver before the "Dean Goods" departs for working preservation in North Cornwall, based at Bodmin General shed. After catching a train to Bristol Temple Meads, Lord Trevelver will take a taxi to the splendid hotel where Lady Penelope will be waiting for him. After a weekend in Bristol, the couple will be returning to North Cornwall.

[Yes, please, John, when convenient, post the model off to Wickness Models where Douglas especially enjoys converting the wonderful Union Mills locos. to DCC. The model will then await her new 'plates set from Narrow Planet and basic detailing, e.g. vacuum brake pipes and lamps. I will order her loco. crew, maybe, also fall plates?]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:18:02 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1660 on: June 16, 2019, 04:10:10 PM »
Nice video John, although for a moment I thought that my eye had gone again... :worried:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1661 on: June 23, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »
Love Me Tender

Hello Chums

Over on Laurence's fabulous 'Train Shed Project' thread there has been a mention of cleaning the tender wheels on Union Mills locomotives.  I don't know why, but I find these require less frequent cleaning than the locomotive's wheels.  For a thorough cleaning of the tender's wheels, axles and axleboxes, I remove the wheelsets.  An easy job. 

However, the wheels can be cleaned in situ by making them revolve under power.  Poppy and I have made a little gadget for this.  Rather than rambling on attempting to describe this gadget, here's a couple of photographs which, hopefully, make things clear:

To clean the wheels on the pick-up side, I use a coffee stirrer sanded to a chisel shape, the Lakeland brush-thingy and a little cloth soaked in WD-40 'Contact Cleaner'.  For the traction tyres on the insulated side, a quick brushing does the trick.

'J26' 0-6-0 No. 1773 will soon have a tender behind and be back in service.  She's a powerful engine, later rated '5F' by BR (although here at Poppingham we normally stop at Hogmanay, 1938, so know little of BR and its doings).  She's RA4*, so can reach places that the 'J27', RA5, can't.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John

*'RA' means 'Route Availability'.  This was the LNER's system of classifying its locomotives and routes.  The lower the number, the more routes that the locomotive was permitted to use.  A 'J15' 0-6-0 was RA1 and was allowed on such delights as the Mid Suffolk Light Railway.  An 'A4' 4-6-2 was RA9 and restricted to much more heavily-engineered lines.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1662 on: June 23, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »
Excellent! - but that's rather more than "a little gadget". No patents pending to infringe, one hopes?  :beers:

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1663 on: June 23, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
    Very clever John, simple but very clever thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:
         regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1664 on: June 24, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »
A Postcard from Sunny Poppingham

Hello Chums.

Unlike here between the Forth and the Tweed, at Poppingham the sun is shining.  Here's a couple of photographs of the level crossing area, where I have been indulging myself with some superscary semi-scenic work.  This was done at a glacial pace: all that cutting and gluing and sanding and painting and flocking and cleaning up takes me absolutely ages.  But there is now a lane from the charming little town of Poppingham* to somewhere...  The lane crosses the level crossing next to John Saxby's signal box and, annoyingly for motorists, narrows beside the buffer stops of the Up Sidings.  I have some ideas for the other side of the lane which might come to fruition this century.

The up passenger train is hauled by 'D11/2' 4-4-0 No. 6397 The Lady of the Lake.

* At present represented by a sheet of grey card!

Many thanks for looking.

All best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here