!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 72522 times)

CliveB and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1560 on: May 13, 2019, 07:44:35 PM »
Belated birthday greetings John. It is always a bit of a disappointment when one does not get the socks one would like for ones birthday. Still, there's always next year.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1561 on: May 13, 2019, 08:40:05 PM »
I hope you had a great birthday, John, but suggest a stiff wigging to the relatives who have caused you a lack of suitable footwear to go in your brogues :unimpressed:

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1562 on: May 14, 2019, 12:40:05 AM »
A belated Happy Birthday, John.  :beers:

Did you leave your Poppingham abode and take a walk over the tunnel after photographing number 700?

Glad it was a nice day, 'cos it must have been a heck of a climb!   :D

I too am a fan of fictious liveries, by the way. Triang used to do some corkers!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1563 on: May 14, 2019, 06:57:22 AM »
Happy birthday for Sunday John. Indeed an auspicious day, it is also my brothers’ birthday  :beers:

Sad news on the sock front, but you must just be grateful for a very neat looking “700”. Maybe you will be lucky at Christmas.  :D

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1564 on: May 14, 2019, 08:29:51 AM »
A lovely loco and belated happy birthday.  It's also my birthday.  Celia's is on the 10th so we have a joint birthday on the 11th, which means we get a three-day birthday every year.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1565 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
A lovely loco and belated happy birthday.  It's also my birthday.  Celia's is on the 10th so we have a joint birthday on the 11th, which means we get a three-day birthday every year.
Belated birthday wishes to you and Celia.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1566 on: May 14, 2019, 05:48:12 PM »
 :hellosign: A belated happy birthday John hope all went well, not forgetting Laurence & Celia, a good month is May (mine was 10th)
  regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1567 on: May 14, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »
:hellosign: A belated happy birthday John hope all went well, not forgetting Laurence & Celia, a good month is May (mine was 10th)
  regards Derek.
Happy belated birthday Derek.

Apologies John.....this is becoming the birthday thread.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1568 on: May 14, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »
The Midland Way

Hello Chums

Many thanks for the birthday felicitations.  Having received a Union Mills '2P' rather than the hoped-for socks, I thought that I had better put her to good use.  The Midland was a small engine, and light and frequent train line.  If a train exceeded the load for the locomotive, another was added.  Over on the LNWR, a heavier train simply meant the engine was thrashed.  Different railways; different ways.  No wonder the LMS struggled at the start.

Well, our new No. 700 found herself diagrammed for a heavier-than-normal train today.  When oiling round No. 700 at Bobbington shed, Driver Trevithick was called over by Inspector Japp.  "You're getting Geoff Duke and No. 443 as pilot today, Dick," said the avuncular Mr Japp.  "Very good, Inspector," replied Driver Trevithick and, a few minutes later, No. 443 backed on to No. 700 and away they went to take over the train at Bobbington station to run Down to the Junction.  Once they got to the Junction, they took water, had their sandwiches and then tied on to the Up working that they were taking as far as Bobbington.  Here they are on the Up train, passing the Sidings and slowing for the Poppingham stop:-

Notes:

No. 443 is an interesting engine.  She was one of Mr Johnson's MR 'Class 2' locomotives and was built at Derby in 1894.  However, she was 'Renewed' with a 'G7s' boiler in 1915 and lasted until 1961.  Not all the Midland '2P's received a superheated boiler (and Deeley-style cab).  Those that didn't were mostly withdrawn in the mid-1920s, although some lasted a bit longer.

If you compare this photograph with that of No. 700 taken in the garden, you might notice that the artificial light has made the crimson lake livery look rather different.  Perhaps a hint of Furness Railway Indian red to my eye.

Did you leave your Poppingham abode and take a walk over the tunnel after photographing number 700?

Glad it was a nice day, 'cos it must have been a heck of a climb!   :D

I did, George, and it was.  Today, I had much more sense and took Janey Poppingham for a spin in the motor car.  We stopped by the sidings and had a very agreeable picnic, only slightly disturbed by Flossie the sheep.

Many thanks for looking at this nonsense.

With best wishes.

Tickety-tonk.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #1569 on: May 14, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
Happy Birthday to you John.
It was such a pity that you failed to receive socks yesterday, I can fully understand your disappointment.

If you want perpetual dissapointment with not receiving socks buy some for £1 on Wish.com, been waiting over a month for them to show up, each day's post that comes with no sign of them heightens the suspense!  :D

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #1570 on: May 14, 2019, 09:12:25 PM »

Many thanks for looking at this nonsense.

John

Ah! but 'tis very enjoyable nonsense my old fruit gum. (A bit of Cockney rhyming slang thrown in there). :)

Alec.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:13:53 PM by Invicta Alec »
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1571 on: May 16, 2019, 07:17:44 PM »
A Bit of Self-Reporting

Hello My Old Fruit Gums

It appears to be difficult to escape from learning from the newspaper that some organisation-or-other has 'self-reported' to its regulator.  I think I can just about work out what 'self-reporting' means.  But when Jane Garvie mentioned on Women's Hour the other day that we are 'Woke Folk', I was confused.  Still am.  It sounds a bit Anglo-Saxon to me.  Anyway, just to show that I'm attempting to keep up with whichever century we are in, I'm self-reporting.  For offences against 'N' gauge railway modelling.

If you have infinite patience, you might just remember Poppingham's peculiar point operation arrangements.  Peco Pl-12 adaptor bases with the addition of 'stick in a void' for the Up sidings.  The Down sidings had only the Pl-12s.  But the operation gadget for the points from the Down main line into the Sidings (trailing points, of course, Derby might be watching) was getting in the way of Bert's lorry's access to the goods wharf.  Years ago, PL-12s came with an extension arm-type-thing.  I used them on my '0' gauge Strathpeffer layout (built in an Inverness-shire loft) in 1989, and later dismantled.  But I kept the extension arm-type-things and these were in the garage behind the spare engine for the Nortons.

I fitted one a few weeks ago and assumed all would be tickety-boo.  Sadly no; the actuator was too close to the raised ground behind the goods wharf for my too-large hands.  I tried to ignore this, but Poppy and I are agreed that Poppingham is to last at least 10 years.  This irritation would quickly become totally unputupable in a long-life layout.

Today we took action of the 'stick in a void' disposition.  It now looks like something of which Mr Heath Robinson would be black affronted:-

But there will (hopefully) be scary semi-scenic stuff covering it up a bit:-

The actuator is now easy to operate and, perhaps, a brick privy or similar in the charming little town of Poppingham will eventually cover the balsa handle.

Unless I am mistaken, that's the nice electro-mechanical stuff on the layout done.  Time, now, for lots 'n' lots of super-scary semi-scenic modelling.  Or to take up a new hobby.  There's bound to be great ideas on Women's Hour.

Many thanks for looking.

All best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John and Poppy.

PS Amazingly, the point actuation arrangement works beautifully.  PECO ought to use us in its 'Setrack' advertisements.  'Our track is Poppingham proof!'
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:27:08 PM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #1572 on: May 16, 2019, 08:27:40 PM »
As far as I'm concerned that Heath Robinson fellow is a good egg. Over the years let's face it, he has received rather poor press ratings. In many cases totally unjustified. What!

(All this is being said in my best retired colonel voice by the way).

Anyway the bottom line is, does it bally well work? It does? Well let that be an end to all this nonsense. Cover it up quick, put the brick privy over the top if you must and pour yourself a foaming pint and watch the trains go by.

All the best my old fruit.

Alec. :beers:
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1573 on: May 16, 2019, 08:45:20 PM »
I kept the extension arm-type-things and these were in the garage behind the spare engine for the Nortons.

Whoa there!. You can't just sneak in a line like that in the hope it won't be noticed! :no:
More info about the Nortons and the spare engine please, good sir

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1574 on: May 16, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »
Ah, Heath Robinson wins again.

A more robust system than wire-in-tube methinks (don’t ask me how I know how un-robust wire-in-tube is for me). This could be a technology that I could pilfer (and more importantly even make work). Please don’t tell me that “pat is pending”? Finally, is there any specific training a sheep requires before it can be a point operator?  :beers:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £90.00
Below Goal: £70.00
Site Currency: GBP
56% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything