!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 92557 times)

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2017, 01:15:38 AM »
If you have a running scarm installation: all the better. Since Scarm has gone pay-ware I am looking for an alternative
Yes, from many years back, after all the support, promo and recommends given there will be many who will be looking likewise  ,,  there is so much that I could say about 'all' that, but not here I think !
As I said previously - nice find of the Online one,  :thumbsup: I am charitably putting my difficulties with their website down to a suspected undiagnosed dyslexia problem ! And after much digging I am in correspondence with 'a personage' :)

Has it been mentioned in the Track Planning Software section I wonder ? Your discovery, I dont want to steal your thunder  ;D

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2017, 06:47:49 AM »
something like 1 coach per sec = 60mph
Drat,,,  60ft/s = approx 40mph lol!
Yes, the exact conversion is 60mph = 88 ft/sec
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
Me too, I have an oval on a table just for watching things go round while  playing shunting on an embryo Inglenook.  But it is settrack and a bit slidy-abouty and keeps unjoining itself :), I had to use folded kitchen roll as a track bed to silence it. Might have to try your foam idea.  :thumbsup:

But what I really meant to say was : would a ring of stout paper or thin card spread the loads and offer support at the joins, or risk introducing the noise again ?

Many thanks, Malcolm.

Much as I love Peco products, for what you describe on your table, some Kato 'Unitrack' might be better as it does not unjoin itself.  I understand that its core Japanese market has lots of people who build complicated layouts and then dismantle them after 'playing trains' as they have no space for more permanent layouts.  Therefore, 'Unitrack' is designed to be put down and taken up.  The key to this is the 'Unijoiners'.  You'll probably find that the Peco fishplates get a little bit loose after a few cycles of 'build and dismantle'. 

When I tried 'Setrack' laid on top of the 'filter foam', it appeared to be to be a bit light and flimsy and did not want to stay in place.  Of course, gluing with 'Copydex' would likely cure that, but I am not ready to glue the track down just yet.  'Unitrack', with its integral ballast, is more substantial and the 'Unijoiners' lock together, so it appears to be ideal for the job.

I'd venture to suggest that, if you use 'Unitrack', you might not actually need the 'filter foam' layer unless you want to protect your table top or, like me, like quiet running trains.  But, if you decide you need something, this is probably the stuff.  After experimenting, I found the 6mm version was easier to use than the 12mm (and cheaper!), whilst just as effective.

Thank you for your suggestion about paper or card to support the 'Unitrack' joins.  I actually tried this.  I found that, to be strong enough to prevent the risk of vertical misalignment during track cleaning it had to be quite substantial.  And then, as you mention, the running got noisier!  What I'll do is experiment with double length 'Unitrack' sections; two pieces glued together, to see how I get on.  A bit like the railways did when they made their rail lengths longer.  If this works well, I'll progress to three or four joined together.

Thank you very much for your helpful comments and suggestions.

All the best.

John   
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »
Yes, the exact conversion is 60mph = 88 ft/sec
Thanks for checking Laurence.
I got my braincells crossed, I knew there was a 60 in it somewhere ! what I should have written (for a Mk1 coach) was :
1coach/sec ~= 60ft/s ~= 40mph
all I need now are a few diodes and an arduino to make a speedometer  :laugh:

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2017, 06:01:21 PM »
The key to this is the 'Unijoiners'.  You'll probably find that the Peco fishplates get a little bit loose after a few cycles of 'build and dismantle'. 
Yes, that's the prob. and it has not been mantled very much either ! It came with various Farish sets that I wanted the locos from and was a temporary (hah!) affair till the bird that had flown got round to taking the nest as well, not happened yet so plans for a big baseboard are a bit delayed ! And there are ominous noises being made about knitting machines and sewing rooms  :veryangry:  :help:

Only had one more thought about supporting the joins, I have seen Kato but cannot remember how much space there is inside round the unijoiners, I am thinking some sort of removable longitudinal clip/tube/rod perhaps rolled up cardboard, though it might be difficult getting the last one in. Please excuse if I am teaching eggs :) whilst thinking aloud about what I may soon be doing !
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:08:50 PM by MalcolmAL »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »
Many thanks, Malcolm.

These are very helpful suggestions and much appreciated.

A friend of mine who is less annoyed by noisy running simply pinned the 'Unitrack' firmly down on the baseboard and dressed the joints with a fine file, emery cloth and a Peco track rubber.

This will make many modellers shudder, but it worked for him.

I'm making things difficult for myself with the soft foam track bed.

Prototypical, though!  I recently saw a severely 'pumping' rail joint as a freight train passed over it whilst I was waiting on the 'other side' platform for my train.

Thanks again for your thoughts and good luck with the 'sewing room' hazard.  It's absolutely unput-upable that a sewing room takes precedence over a train set room.  Possibly a joint room, though?

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »
Some Good Progress.

Firstly, with regard to portability, are the size and weight of the Table-Top railway Mk II acceptable?  After rather a lot of indulging myself with the Traditional Scottish Weekend Activity of carrying a layout around the house and garden (and into the car), I can say that both are fine.  This is meant as a truly portable layout, rather than a transportable one, if you get my meaning.  So, it was one person (me) and doors and stairs for the test.  Once some buildings and suchlike are put on the layout, the size and weight questions effectively merge into an 'awkwardness quotient'.  And the wiring needs to be arranged so that it does not catch on that sticking out door handle!  2'6" x 2' is now established as my portable layout maximum size.

Secondly, I have arrived at a technique to glue 'Unitrack' pieces together in such a way that the rail ends can be held in (close to) perfect register.  This avoids the 'stepping joints' which I found to be particularly prevalent when laying 'Unitrack' on soft foam.  Watching, at eye level, a Union Mills 'Prince of Wales' pass over the rails, one can see the very slight deflection of the foam under the weight of the locomotive.  Importantly, at a 'doctored' rail joint, the adjacent track pieces move as one.  The 'doctored' joints appear to be immune from vertical misalignment after track cleaning.  Early days, of course, but encouraging.

I feel that I have now successfully addressed the 'too big, too heavy and too noisy' problems of Mk I.  Perhaps more importantly, I have proved to myself that, on the third attempt, I can have fun with British 'N' gauge.  Maybe that 4 metres x 1 metre space I have in the Train Set Room won't all be for '00' gauge after all...

Thank you very much for looking.

Special thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to send a 'Thank You' to me with regard to my ramblings.  Much appreciated!   :thankyousign:

All best wishes.

John   

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
Glad you are making progress.
All we need now is a few photographs.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »

Yes, indeed.
You just know that 4mtrs x 1mtr space is calling out for full length trains so N gauge it has to be :D

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2017, 08:54:58 PM »

Yes, indeed.
You just know that 4mtrs x 1mtr space is calling out for full length trains so N gauge it has to be :D

Thank you, gentlemen.

NPN, Tempting, I know.  But I have built four large layouts and all of them ran but rarely.  The tiny Table-Top railway Mk II runs almost every day.  There is, maybe, an optimum size for a solo modeller and operator.  I've no idea what it is, though!

My thoughts this evening are 2m x 1m for both British 'N' gauge and '00'.  It would be a shame if my old Wrenn locomotives (and other stuff, assorted) had nowhere to run.  All ideas gratefully received.

All the very best.

John

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2017, 10:30:01 PM »
Can you fit a 'double decker' system in the space like some folks do with a different gauge on each layer?

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2017, 07:32:29 PM »
Many thanks, NPN.

That's certainly worth thinking about.

All the best.

John

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
Tidy Friday on a Tuesday.

Thanks to Port Perran's comments on his thread, I had a major tidy-up today and the Matterhorn of junk has gone.  In its place is the 2m x 1m surface of the baseboard for my next effort.  The general idea is that the little Table-Top Railway will act as a test-bed for techniques which will then be used on this layout.

I could not resist throwing some spare Kato 'Unitrack' (#6 points) on top and playing trains...

Apologies for the '00' gauge intrusion at the left-hand side; the original plan was for a 4m x 1m '00' layout.  Present thinking is for two 2m x 1m layouts: one '00' and one British 'N'.

A 2m length with #6 points allows for loops long enough for a locomotive and four carriages.

It's interesting how much quieter the trains run on this massively-built baseboard compared to the 12mm ply of the Table-Top Railway.  Less 'drumming' I suppose.  Iain Rice wrote about this some years ago; I must look it up.

Thanks to Port Perran for the inspiration to get tidying!

Thank you for reading.

Toodle-pip.

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »
Glad I was able to inspire a tidy up
 Iny own layout is now clutter free and I've nearly finished tidying up my bits and bobs boxes.
By the way.....I do hope that baton behind the layout is level  ;)
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2017, 08:26:58 PM »
Can you come and tidy mine now please? :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything