!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Split N gauge layout  (Read 4757 times)

Offline jamest

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Split N gauge layout
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »
Hi all,

I'm posting on here for the first time at the invitation of Tank - who saw it on another forum.

This layout is my first foray into N gauge - The layout was primarily my son's present for Xmas and we plan to build it together for however long it takes. It also gives me a good excuse to dip my toe in the N gauge water after concentrating on OO up to now.

The track is code 80 and the points are medium and long insulfrogs. I've used set-track curves (4th, 3rd & 2nd) at the ends so save time playing with flexi-track. But at lot of the scenic straights and sweeping yard stuff is flexi.

I won't bore you with the indecision that was rife in my planning stage but the layout eventually evolved into a double track run with a goods facility on one side and the end of a 'large' station on the other. In theory we want to make the two separate - maybe even in era too (my son likes pretty much everything!). The first target era is BR blue as that was the subject of the Graham Farish set Santa chose (class 47 with rail-freight wagons)! We also have 5 mk 2 coaches and a class 50

Here are the photo's of the build so far. The layout is 66" x 30" and is constructed on a door (16 quid from wicks). I have added 6mm ply on the ends, and down through the middle, and painted it light blue. This weekend I have added the raised sections in the corners to hide the 'loop'. One thing I already love about N gauge is that you can fit in a lovely straight run in a relatively small space.

At the moment the plan is to keep it simple and operate the points manually but there is a small problem in that the goods exit point is on the opposite side from the goods yard and conversely the entry to the station loop point is also on the opposite side from the station. I might run some 'wire' from those points to the opposing side so that we can concentrate on running from one side only - and then again I might not!!

I was unsure whether to make the raised sections removable or add access from the ends via 'letterboxes'. Because the layout is designed to be man-handled around by me, and stored vertically, I opted for securing everything down and added letterbox access to clean the tracks and fix any derailment problems.

I've progressed further than this but here are the initial photo's:

Station side:

Goods Side:

Cut-outs for access:

Stored away in bedroom:

thanks for looking,
James

Offline Dock Shunter

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Split N gauge layout
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »
Hey welcome to the forum Jamest.....the 100th member :thumbsup: :beers: :thumbsup:
Looks like a nice start to your build.Great to hear your lad is helping you.
Look forward to seeing your layout progress :thumbsup:

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
Ooooh, very pro wiring, I feel some "How To's" coming along  :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard James, looks like Tank haste taste in his choice of amigos  ;D

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
Hey welcome to the forum Jamest.....the 100th member :thumbsup: :beers: :thumbsup:

You beat me to it, as I was going to say that!   ;D

Welcome to the forum mate, and your wonderful split layout.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose for scenery, and your rolling stock on the tracks.  :thumbsup:

Offline Dock Shunter

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:41:34 PM »

You beat me to it, as I was going to say that!   ;D

Welcome to the forum mate, and your wonderful split layout.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose for scenery, and your rolling stock on the tracks.  :thumbsup:

Sorry for stealing your thunder Tank :-X
I was looking to see who was on the forum and noticed it was 100 members.
Congrats to you and admin also for getting it all up and running :thumbsup: :NGF:

Offline cupoftea

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:38:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

That is a very nice layout.

Offline REFaust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
Very neat idea there, to split the layout into two sections with the curves hidden. What size baseboard are you working with?

R E Faust

Offline jamest

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome. To answer the question above the layout is 66"x30". I also forgot to tell you it is DC - I have enough trouble with installing chips in some of my OO stuff - I didn't fancy trying it in 'N'. The 'base' set I bought was DC too. It gives me a chance to have a play with the principles of DC (isolation, etc).

The wiring might look neat but it isn't very complicated - I had planned to use cab control with the common return principle but it all went the way of the pear just before Santa was due to deliver it! So it was one controller for the outside (section/connection 1 & 2 and one for the inside + goods yard 3, 4 & 5). I might go back to the cab control idea later but for now we only have two locos anyway.

I got my Christmas present out (airbrush) and coloured the track with sleeper grime. I've also made a start to the ballasting - which I wasn't looking forward to but so far I've found it a lot easier than OO. I've used code 80 track and fine ballast and as long as I am careful when I sprinkle it on I don't have to brush too much off the sleepers. In OO I was chasing bits of ballast all over - don't know if the relative depth of sleeper (which looks more pronounced) actually helps?

I think the track looks much better painted - especially if you go for the 'chunkier' track like me. The airbrush's accuracy enables you to be braver around the points but I've still got to go around the sensitive area with a brush.

Here are the piccy's - I've started on the station side:

Cheers,
James

Offline jamest

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
Hi all,

Here are some pictures of our running session. shows off our entire range of stock (for now :thumbsup:):

Cheers,
James

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »
Good to see some stock on there mate.  :) :NGaugersRule:

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Any reason for the wrong-line running?
("It's my layout and I'll decide what's right and wrong" is a perfectly acceptable answer  :))
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline jamest

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
Any reason for the wrong-line running?
("It's my layout and I'll decide what's right and wrong" is a perfectly acceptable answer  :))

It is my layout and I'm probably wrong!

Here is the track plan:

Originally the layout was to be run and viewed as a whole - now it is more likely to be 'either half'. I have added the inner siding to the plan since I sought advice while planning on another forum.
It was meant to be anti-clockwise on the outer loop with the ability to come inside on the bottom - right into the goods area if desired. That meant the upper crossing was not 'facing' and was practically only for going out into the outer loop from the goods yard.
Now it is 'separate halves' I think it could be run the other way with the 'goods line' actually a branch line on the station side and the goods side run as I desired.
I am quite willing to take advice for the proper running scheme - but don't ask me to change anything now! If it is wholly unrealistic I'll have to live with it.

Cheers,
James

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
British practice is usually to drive on the left, the same as on the roads. The US mostly, but not exclusively, drive on the right.

Offline jamest

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »
British practice is usually to drive on the left, the same as on the roads. The US mostly, but not exclusively, drive on the right.

You learn something everyday - pretty straightforward when you think of it like that.

I think it'll work either way - I'll certainly bear it in mind when I post pictures in the future.

Thanks for the advice,
James

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything