!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Helix Gradients  (Read 2691 times)

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
Re: Helix Gradients
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »
I got one of those (same size) when I was first redesigning Ivebridge and it's a pretty nice piece of kit. It fits R1 & R2 tracks quite happily (I used Kato Unitrack) and it's really easy to build and adjust. I'd recommend fixing it to some sort of baseboard.

That's cool, they do look good, I'm not hugely worried about the construction side, but material costs do get quite big quite quickly.
??? Has the cat been chasing the mouse over the keyboard? :smiley-laughing:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
Ha! Don't you remember saying that?! I quoted the whole post, then deleted your bit, but clearly not the quote tag!

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 12:35:42 PM »
Remember with a helix that the gradient on the outside track is lesser than the inside track - so it pays to arrange it with the 'upwards'  line on the outside. Also if you have a rectangular space nothing requires you use circles!

The biggest problem I found when I built a small one was cleaning the track.

I'd hesitate before doing it again. If I had to build two levels now I think I'd put one fiddle below the other and run a hidden or maybe even scenic rising line a full loop around the room from one into the other.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »
Mmm, it was causing me far too much difficulty trying to work out the planning to get the 'downhill' route on the inside. Interesting thought on cleaning.

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »
Njee. my longest train is a class 91 with a full rake, I have a couple which are 180 cm long but the majority is around 140 cm.

seem the space you have I think its duable to run full rakes, especially of you use straights aswell.

i have used 6 mm ply, have fun building :)
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »
Mmm yes, I'm running up to 18 bogie wagons, which I think would struggle behind all but the hardiest locos! Many thanks for your input Maurits. Something else to mull over and not do for years probably!

Offline GPHolmes

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »
Hi All
A quick question what height do you use between layers, using Peco I was looking at 41mm does that sound to tight, I was also going for 3mm ply which would give a 44mm pitch, 12" inner radii. 1.5 turns so 540 degrees.  Hoping to run a big boy with 100 wagons.

Offline DCCDave

• N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 06:22:26 PM »
Mmm, it was causing me far too much difficulty trying to work out the planning to get the 'downhill' route on the inside. Interesting thought on cleaning.

Diamond crossing

Cheers
Dave

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 09:53:44 PM »
Crikey, that's a 3 year old comment. Diamond crossings aren't ideal in that circumstance, as they significantly limit moves. But yes, of course that's the obvious way to do it.

Having moved house I'm now designing a new layout, but I've ruled out helices, I just think they're too compromised with long rakes. Plus having the fiddle yard on a lower level introduces a whole host of new issues. Reckon I can get a c30 road fiddle yard in, which will have to do!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal