!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Brizzle Project  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: The Brizzle Project
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »
The main part of the project is stalling for lack of inspiration however I am planning a second, smaller box file layout.  It will basically be very simple and a diorama.  It is to represent a short section of the branch to my canal wharf (see Box File layouts - Canal Wharf).  The aim is to get some more scenery practice and improve my ballasting skills.

It may be so simple that it is just a length of track or it may have a single point to a small siding.  The canal will run alongside the railway as will a country road and inspiration has been drawn from models or plans for Wisbech and Upwell Tramway layouts.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 01:44:14 PM »
No progress on planning as we have been building something else.  Not N Gauge, something like 00 and predates railways by some 1300+ years.  My daughter Charlotte's holiday homework to build a model of an Anglo Saxon hus or house in modern English.  We've been practising modelling skills and using imagination.  Back to school shortly so hopefully the Brizzle Project will re-start.

How are you going to thatch the roof?

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 01:46:21 PM »
The roof was balsa wood brushed with a wire brush to try to represent the sort of thatching used at the time and then painted dark brown.  It really needed to be coarser from photos of modern reproductions.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 02:49:17 PM »
Smaller box file diorama about to get under way.  Having found some old Railway Modeller magazines I now have some ideas about the next stage of the project however follow "Branch to Elizabeth Wharf" in Box File layouts.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 03:42:44 PM »
The project has moved on a little in that I have now complete three separate box file layouts (Elizabeth Wharf, branchlike to Elizabeth Wharf and Charlotte Street) all detailed in the Box File Layout sub-section of Layout Construction.  Plans to build a continuous run layout in the spare room are currently on hold for a variety of reasons but I am looking towards building a12 foot by 1foot 6 inch portable layout on top quality plywood baseboards.  This could just be erected in my living room for running sessions and definitely erected on the patio when the weather is fine.  It would also be available for exhibition use.

The layout would comprise of a passenger terminus with up to 5 platform faces plus parcels facilities, carriage sidings etc. and this would lead into a fiddle yard/storage area.  There would be two 4 foot long scenic boards and using the modular construction system an additional board could be added for exhibition use to incorporate either freight or loco facilities.  As a member of three model railway clubs, each with a continuous run N gauge layout, I don't need that facility at present hence moving to this part of the project now.

The plan is to upgrade the operation a few steps using point motors and switched point blades; I am not yet sure of the poInt control method to be used as I am starting to be drawn to Megapoints. I am considering two alternative control panels, one for frontal operation and one for rear operation.  As a lot of my loco fleet is quite old and has 'pizza cutter' wheels I am going to opt for Code 80 track which also rules out slip points and as a consequence keeps the wiring simpler.  Scenic development should be of a higher standard as I hope to be able to concentrate on plastic as my main construction medium for buildings and I am developing my skills with scatter and static grass.

Charlotte Street was built as a small ex Midland Railway terminus based on the concept of Bristol St. phillips (without the enormous goods yard) and is run with BR Midland Region stock in the main.  This layout will be called New Street and will be a Western Region terminus that Midland Region trains run into as well.

Inspiration initially came from a layout called Vine Street that I saw in Railway Modeller.  Further encouragement came from reading Hornby Magazine Yearbook 9 where they built 'Grosvenor Square' and finally searching through BRM layout plans number 2 gave me a further design inspiration.

Construction so going to be slow as finance is the main issue.  To construct something as complex as this will require more expenditure than I can afford quickly on things like track work and in particular the baseboards.  Watch layout Construction for progress.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »
Sounds interesting - a bit like an expanded 'Minories' terminus plan from dear old Cyril J. Freezer

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »

The next stage of the project is now in outline planning stages.  I've been putting pencil to paper.

Initially I am planning to build a 12 foot long layout 18 inches wide on three 4 foot boards.  My preference is for storage sidings to be on the right.  The left hand two boards will be the scenic area made up of a 5 platform terminus station with up to 3 carriage sidings to display my collection of coaches.  There will be a single storage line within the station which may end up being used (as at Birmingham New Street) for the station pilot loco.  Initially there will be no freight facilities.  Operation will be analogue as most of my locomotives are old Graham Farish and DCC conversion would be tricky however I am considering Megapoints as my preferred point and signal control system.  The aim is to scratch build as many of the buildings as possible, preferably in plastic rather than card to gi=ve texture.

Stage 2 would then introduce some freight capability.  To achieve this a 3 foot long board would be inserted between the station and storage.  The storage sidings for the station would be towards the rear of the non-scenic board which would permit a second and totally separate set at the front for the freight facility.  Length would need to be limited to 15 feet in total as that is as much as I can set up to test indoors.

The plan is to use Peco Code 80 track as it would help with my aged locomotives and is easier to use.  It does restrict  points to simple left, right or Y points but that would ease the strain on the electrical side of things.  I plan to use a Gaugemaster twin track controller which will give one controller for the passenger station and once stage 2 is set up a separate controller for the freight facility.

Having earned from experience at Warley MRC with both Broadwater Junction and Hawes Junction, I am planning to make all electrical and electronic features easily accessible by using the back scene to mount components and connections.  The only wiring under the board will be track and point motor connections.

Once I start on this project I will post on the Layout Construction thread under the name "New Street".

All advice and comments will be grateful received including any that suggest that I am mad to attempt this.

Thanks for you indulgence.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the Minories plan.

Gawd, I'm a poet and didn't know it  ;)

However, I have no idea what Megapoints are. Education required!  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
https://megapointscontrollers.co.uk/

Having seen this system at shows I'm impressed with it..

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 01:30:08 PM »
We run Megapoints on two of our current layouts at Trent Valley Model Railway Society.  It seems tone quite flexible and saves on loads of wires running under the boards and has a lot of flexibility.  There are several systems available including one from Heathcote electronics, MERGS and the Peco system,

The probable track plan is based around a layout called Vine Street which was in the October 2013 issue of Railway Modeller and is on the exhibition circuit rather than the Minors plan.  The point work is a little different as it uses facing and trailing crossovers on the approach.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
I have started a new thread in Layout Construction which will document progress on the new layout.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2019, 10:06:01 PM »
https://megapointscontrollers.co.uk/

Having seen this system at shows I'm impressed with it..

Thanks for the link!  :thumbsup:

Looks like a good bit of kit!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here