!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion for RevolutioN Trains: Class 800 and 801 IEPs  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for RevolutioN Trains: Class 800 and 801 IEPs
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 08:55:15 AM »
Hornby has secur d 18m in new funding/ borrowing but canned the Thomas line, which seems foolish.

It depends how profitable the Thomas line is. Even if it sells well, they have to deduct royalties to the rights holders. IIRC those rights are now owned by Mattel so they may have plans for their own model line. Maybe Hornby decided it was not longer worthwhile (pure speculation on my part of course).
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline davidinyork

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 08:57:35 AM »
Is the TP Express Nova 3 not a varient of the hitachi IEP too? This would be a livery closer to my heart as they would run past my local station.

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travelling-with-us/the-nova-fleets/nova-1
Yes, Class 802/2 variant - Electro Diesel with larger fuel tanks for extended range on diesel. As I understand it identical to the 5 units on order for Hull Trains...

It's 'Nova 1' which is the IEP (Hitachi). Nova 3 is a new design of EMU (CAF), and Nova 2 is the loco-hauled stock (also CAF), with the locos being Stadler Class 68s, subleased from DRS.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »
Hornby has secur d 18m in new funding/ borrowing but canned the Thomas line, which seems foolish.

It depends how profitable the Thomas line is. Even if it sells well, they have to deduct royalties to the rights holders. IIRC those rights are now owned by Mattel so they may have plans for their own model line. Maybe Hornby decided it was not longer worthwhile (pure speculation on my part of course).

Of they simply couldn't afford it? The licensing costs are bound to be pretty steep.

Offline NTrains

• N Gauge Society Number: 26546
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 09:35:49 AM »
Apologies, i dont know why i said Nova 3 when I linked Nova 1 and meant Nova 1!  :searchingsign:

Well, I guess well just have to see what happens in N. If Kato do it, i can only see them doing one of a couple of liveries, probably GWR, which will be a shame for me (I know, I know, Im being selfish  :) )

If Hornby has the sole license then I guess we can kiss an N version goodbye.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
If Hornby has the sole license then I guess we can kiss an N version goodbye.

Unless they sub-license to someone else? Given their financial difficulties, it might be something they could consider, if they don't want to do it themselves - would bring in some cash without them needing to do anything.

Offline NTrains

• N Gauge Society Number: 26546
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »
Sub-Licencing is certainly an option. I suspect it would make an N version a little more expensive in this case, due to a license fee going back to Hornby. That said, any option is better than no option.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 09:51:21 AM »
My gut* tells me Hornby will do it. If they don't drag their feet and crack on with it, it is surely bound to be a strong seller for the next decade and more.

* It could just be my IBS playing up. :D
We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here