!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Magnets for Dapol Easy Shunts  (Read 2164 times)

Offline doug22150

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Magnets for Dapol Easy Shunts
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
There's a similar post from a couple of years ago but I'd like to raise this again.  I've tried using rare earth magnets as suggested by Karlhedron but have found that, with Dapol Maunsells they are too strong.  The problem is that, because of the free play in the close coupling mechanism, the whole coupling is pulled down by the magnets and the actuating bar fouls the sleepers.  Because of the strength of the magnets, unintended uncoupling also occurs when a train passes over the magnets.  It looks as if I'm going to have to resort to cutting sleepers/removing ballast to install the Dapol magnets.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Magnets for Dapol Easy Shunts
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:20:01 PM »
Some folks have successfully sawn the Dapol magnets in half and still get good operation.
Might be worth a try :hmmm:

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:59:32 PM »
Thank you. Yes, I think that seems like the way ahead. A bit frustrating as I could have made life easier for myself when I laid the track but liked the sound of using rare earth magnets and omitted some ballasting to allow for them!

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:24:28 PM »
I think I have read that you can get different strengths of rare earth magnets. It might be that some weaker ones might help you to avoid a lot of hacking  :hmmm:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline BobB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27926
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »
A pair of side cutters can cut the Dapol magnets easily. They can be mounted on the sleepers for Peco code 80 track and modern wheel standards. This requires them to be exactly central otherwise wheels will catch them. If they are on top of the sleepers, the Dapol magnets can operate the American buck-eye couplings as well as "easi-shunts". Light wagons can tip up as they go over the magnets on top of the sleepers and need weight added to stop this.

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »
If you use a new scalpel blade and cut the sleepers out for your chosen magnet, you can bury the magnet, (if more than one try and get them all the same depth) and then trim the sleepers so you have a slither of the top surface. This can be glued back on top of the magnet, lining up with the outside sleeper ends. A little ballast in between and you won't know the magnet is there. You will of course now need some discreet marker to remind you where it is!

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 03:09:29 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful comments.  I've now removed the rare earth magnets and ordered (hopefully) some weaker ones to try.  If the same problem recurs I'll knuckle down and start cutting out sleepers and ballast! Can I take it that there isn't them same coupling droop problem with the Dapol magnets?

Offline Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 03:34:56 PM »
Doug,

The only problem I still have is any bogie wagons with long coupling arms. These seem prone to coupling droop and more likely to be grabbed still. Two things help obviate this. Getting the magnets all at the same depth so there is no difference in magnetic pull. The other is putting small plastic shims on the underside of the coupling arm to help hold it up in the pocket.

Here are a couple of pictures I posted on my layout thread when I gave up on neodymium magnets and installed Dapol ones.

And somewhere on the left hand road there is a magnet in there after hiding.

Offline B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »
Is that magnet below the track or cut and slotted in between the sleepers. Im planning to use easy shunts on my stock so i dont have to handle any stock.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »
Cooper

Thanks very much for that advice, really helpful. Your Dapol magnets look very unobtrusive with sleeper shims on top. I'll try you suggestion for preventing coupling droop. I imagine that using short Dapol easy-shunts might help as well.

Offline Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
Is that magnet below the track or cut and slotted in between the sleepers. Im planning to use easy shunts on my stock so i dont have to handle any stock.

Richard
It was cut and slotted as described above in the earlier post, but I had to create a slot in the board too to get them just below sleeper height.

Cooper

Thanks very much for that advice, really helpful. Your Dapol magnets look very unobtrusive with sleeper shims on top. I'll try you suggestion for preventing coupling droop. I imagine that using short Dapol easy-shunts might help as well.

Yes, short and medium couplings which the overwhelming majority of mine are present no real problem. It is just the long ones that sometimes create the problem, especially when combined with a light kit built Wagon like an NGS Salmon bogie rail carrier with the bogie and coupling pocket set well back from the wagon end.

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 08:48:59 PM »
Yes, the cutting-in-half method really does work. I used a disc cutter to remove the sleepers, then fixed the magnet with Araldite. The first layer of ballast was Evo-Stuk to the magnet, then topped-up and surrounded with ballast (Woodland Scenics fine in both cases). You get quite a discreet appearance with this method and there are quite a few instances on the prototype where ballast covers the sleepers.

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »
Having tried the lowest power rare earth magnets available, I've now abandoned them.  Halving the Dapol uncoupling magnets, they were easy to install, after having cut-out the rare earth magnets.  Cutting through the Code 55 sleepers with a Stanley knife was easy and I then used a sharpened screwdriver to chisel out ballast and sleepers. With the halved Dapol magnets uncoupling is far more reliable and the problem of drooping couplings doesn't seem to exist.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 02:43:58 PM »
Sounds like you have it sorted :claphappy:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00