!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Exclusive - IT'S TWINS FOR REVOLUTION TRAINS!  (Read 15209 times)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
Re: Exclusive - IT'S TWINS FOR REVOLUTION TRAINS!
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »

Hello all,

We have been sent some draft CADs so I thought I would share them.

There is plenty of detail on the underside - which can be made out through the four chassis side holes so is important - and the centre coupler will be a solid bar in NEM pockets but we are investigating whether it can be moulded to look a little more like the prototype.

There are a few issues that have been fed back - a missing handrail at the end, spurious extra brakewheel on the B-car and missing document clip at the far left end.  But they're not looking too bad.

See our website for more images and information.

Sign ups are going well and once CADs are approved we think we should be able to get tooling underway reasonably quickly, with the possibility of first samples by Warley.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »
hi Ben,
Look lovely from these CADS, good to notice coupler back face is just behind buffers - end of the 10 foot gap syndrome of so many and recent models.

Put out  IZA leaflets in Warley Club last night.   

Robert 

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »
Hi ,placed  order no problems  for a triple and the tail lamp fitted single.

looking forward to speedlink fun !

Robert

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
Hello all,

We have received revised CADs with some amendments made, plus provision now added for flashing tail lamp.

The lamp will be a small moulding (highlighted in blue) fed by a light guide from inside the model where the PCB and battery holder are located.

The amendments include corrections such as adding the holes to the angled frames at each end, and making sure the parking brake wheels are on the A-wagon only:

We also wanted them to improve the look of the bar coupler within the pair, and this looks much more like the prototype, though I have asked the designer to confirm that this part will be robust enough in use.

For more images etc see our website.

Cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:36:53 PM by Ben A »

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
Looking good.

Would the dummy Screw-link link coupling be of a length that could work with other wagons from Farish, Dapol and the NGS? It could add a little something extra to fixed rakes if the length was OK and it was available as a spare part.

Steven B.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2017, 12:16:03 PM »
Looking good.

Would the dummy Screw-link link coupling be of a length that could work with other wagons from Farish, Dapol and the NGS? It could add a little something extra to fixed rakes if the length was OK and it was available as a spare part.

Steven B.

Would be an interesting accessory, but I fear that the set up of the Twins would work against it. Without conventional side buffers between the two halves of the wagon, the vehicles share one buffer and one buffing plate each much closer than normal. I have some bar couplers from NME which have couplings and air pipes and will close couple the TEAs, but they appear much longer than the twins inter-wagon coupler.

On the inter-wagon close up CAD on the website there is a stray NEM pocket on the wagon the right.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:23:26 PM by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »
Hi Steven,

As Mike says, the gap between the twins is designed to be scale.  The inner single buffers (sprung of course, on the prototype) may need to be slightly truncated to allow the wagon to cope with our tighter curves.

Once clipped together we are expecting most people to keep their twins coupled up but of course they will still have standard Rapido couplers on the outer ends so as a pair can easily be removed - like a steam loco permanently coupled to its tender. 

Unless you are able to leave long rakes of wagons on your layout then coupling a whole rake with fixed couplers may be impractical, so even if appropriate I am not sure how much demand there would be.

Also, while the idea of accessories can be appealing, Mike and I are really not geared up to sending out lots of small items.

I have some bar couplers from NME which have couplers and air pipes and will close couple the TEAs, but they appear much longer than the twins inter-wagon coupler.

On the inter-wagon close up CAD on the website there is a stray NEM pocket on the wagon the right.

Hi Mike,

I would be interested in seeing the NME couplers, but the chances are you're right and they're longer than that being designed for the twins.

The displaced coupler pocket was left there as I was looking at clearances and deflection angles but as it may be confusing I have removed it and replaced the image - thanks for spotting.

Cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:37:53 PM by Ben A »

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
 Ben @Ben A  &/or Mike @red_death 

Why can't I select a Flashing Tail Lamp for the Original Cargowaggon livery??

I am trying to order 2 singles 1 with and 1 without.

Cheers

Neal.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »

Hi Neal,

Right now the flashing tail lamp version is only available in revised livery. This is partly as a result of the lesson we learned from the 321 - offer too many choices and everyone gets paralysed by indecision.

However, if we can we will extend it to cover the original variants.

If for any reason the numbers don't stack up you could always order the revised flashing lamp version further down the line then swap the bodies and flog your superfluous revised one as a non-flashing light variant!

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »
Would it not make more sense to do the tail lamp on the earlier livery rather than the revised one? I don't know when the revised livery came into being but surely the early livery ran along side the revised for some time?

It's a lot easier to justify an older livery on a current layout than a current livery on an older layout....

Steven B.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »

Hi Steven,

We took the decision based on length of service, and also on our own experience that those modelling the present significantly outnumber those modelling the late 80s and early 90s.

The revised livery is just yellow on the axleboxes and lashing loops, and a "don't catch your fingers in the doors" warning on the sides of the, err, doors.

It came in from the early 90s, so broadly speaking the original livery lasted for around 5 years while the revised livery has been around 25 years.

As I said, I am hoping we can offer both, but there is a relatively simple solution of buying the modern tail lamp version and swapping the bodies.  I doubt you'll have too much trouble selling the left over model on Ebay if the tankers are anything to go by.

Cheers

Ben A.

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2017, 03:42:29 PM »
As Ben said the flashing tail lamp is a bit of a shot in the dark for us - we had no idea if it would be popular so we wanted to experiment to see if there was demand.

Cheers, Mike

Offline LeftToMyOwnDevices

• N Gauge Society Number: 25806
  • …and left to my own devices... I probably would...
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2017, 07:12:01 PM »
As Ben said the flashing tail lamp is a bit of a shot in the dark for us...
Cheers, Mike

...and for me, as well. :D

Have just placed a 'double', triple order (a triple of each), plus the Perrier wagon (ahhh...) and the tail-light one. :wave:

I'm guessing that the wagon numbers in the Triple packs will be different from each other?  ???

Would they also be different from the Single pack ones...? :worried:
Or, would it be worth my while ordering the single ones, to get all unique numbers...? :goggleeyes:

Either way, I'll still have more Dapol bogie versions... :help:

Thank you for doing them; it was nice to pick up the flier at the DEMU Showcase - and thinking "Yes...! I want those...". Having not been enticed by anything else since the KFAs.

Ironically, when I left the DEMU Showcase and went to get my train home, from Burton-upon-Trent, the first thing to thunder through the station was a Class 66 and dozen or so TEAs... ...as if to mock me for not ordering any TEAs...! :D

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2017, 10:31:44 PM »

Hello Charles,

All the triple packs will feature wagons with different numbers, and these will be different to the singles.

Only three pairs were every painted into Perrier livery, and for this reason we are only doing a single in these colours (and only if it reaches the minimum threshold.)

Cheers

Ben A.

Online Nighthawk

• N Gauge Society Number: 21103
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 12:18:40 PM »
Have just noticed on the latest Projects Summary update of 31st October (Revolution website) that this item is now in tooling.

Also noticed that this item is still not included in the drop-down projects list although there has been plenty of information in the News section.

John

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £337.00
Above Goal: £282.00
Site Currency: GBP
613% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything