!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Improving the Dapol Manor?  (Read 845 times)

Offline PaulM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24099
    • Awards
Improving the Dapol Manor?
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:46:18 AM »
I have 3 Dapol Hall's and 3 Manors. The Hall's all run reasonably smoothly and quietly, but the Manors all "grind" along in a VERY noisy fashion, so I never run them.

It's time I did something about it, including even selling them as a last resort. I'm not at all confident pulling them apart, so does anyone know of a repairer who can work wonders with this type of loco? I live in NZ but being able to mail 3 locos together minimizes any postage costs.

Thanks
PaulM

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Re: Improving the Dapol Manor?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:08:45 AM »
All Dapol tender drive locos tend to be noisy but the Granges and Manors seem to be noisier by design. Strangely mine are considerably quieter on a rolling road. I suspect it is something to do with the tender design, which appears to be prone to vibration.

As to repairs I have asked around but failed to find anyone in Oz or indeed in the UK who will fettle N Gauge locos professionally. Dapol's warranty agent DCC Supplies do only simple repairs.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 04:27:47 AM »
The manor was originally produced by the Anglo-Australian company Ixion (Phil Badger being the Aussie connection).

Dr Al of this forum may be able to offer advice, and Ozymandias also of this forum, does loco repairs. He is currently working on a Peco Jubilee of mine which I sent to the UK.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
I've rebuilt a number of Manors - specifically the Dapol production ones. The Ixion production ones are better - they can still be a little noisy, but this isn't uncommon with this motor and the tender body acting as a sounding box.

The Dapol production is significantly poorer - they changed the tender to that used behind the 28xx, and it has much poorer pickup. This combined with poor QC on the loco pickups meaning they don't touch the wheel backs on the loco correctly can result in very intermittent running - I've seen this repeatedly on several recent production manors (e.g. Draycott Manor).

They generally can run nicely when all this is addressed, though there is always a bit of motor noise.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here