!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: SR Leader Class  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Re: SR Leader Class
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 02:51:58 PM »
If you've not already found it there are some photos and a line drawing with dimensions on the SEMG pages,

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/leader_01.html
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »
It does have a class 66 charm about it  :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees a certain resemblance between them! ...

Always reminded me of London Underground Standard Stock, pimped with bigger wheels. :D
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »
Hello all,

I have been working on the bogie frames today. There is some areas I need to change and the bogies are very much the basic shapes ready to be worked on!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »
I am aiming to re-wheel a Class 40 or 55 with 9-11mm wheels which will provide a passable, if not 100% accurate, basis for the 3D printed body and bogie sides.

Can you tell me a bit about the chassis idea here? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a (presumably Farish) Class 40 chassis would be a 1-Co-Co-1 chassis, whereas the Farish 55 is a Co-Co chassis. Different number of wheels, though the length of the bogies does indeed seem more 'Leader'-like.

The 'Leader' was some sort of 0-6-6-0, so the 55 sounds right. I do have a Farish Class 50 chassis, which I think is similar to the Poole-era 52s and 55s. It sometimes sits under a resin 'Falcon' but I'm definitely open to a 'Leader' kit, and will be watching this thread with interest.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 07:54:15 PM »
Hello all,

Can you tell me a bit about the chassis idea here? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a (presumably Farish) Class 40 chassis would be a 1-Co-Co-1 chassis, whereas the Farish 55 is a Co-Co chassis. Different number of wheels, though the length of the bogies does indeed seem more 'Leader'-like.

The 'Leader' was some sort of 0-6-6-0, so the 55 sounds right. I do have a Farish Class 50 chassis, which I think is similar to the Poole-era 52s and 55s. It sometimes sits under a resin 'Falcon' but I'm definitely open to a 'Leader' kit, and will be watching this thread with interest.

Cheers, NeMo

I am using a Class 40 as a basis mainly because the Co-Co wheel spacing is almost correct and the extra length on the bogies that house the idling wheels (which will be removed) should help to support the rather long bogies on the 'Leader. Also, the chassis are fairly easy to get hold of and a member of the forum has already kindly offered me one at a very generous price!

This is a very crude, though hopefully explanatory, scale diagram showing how the Class 40 chassis fits into the outline of the 'Leader' with the blue dots being markers for the wheel locations:

Hope this helps explain the plan a little!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
Hello all,

Thanks for all the links and advice, I really appreciate it!  :thumbsup:

The Class 40 chassis arrived this morning and I have been working on fitting the 'Leader' around it and working on the bogies. The body fits well and the length is about right. The bogies I am designing will clip onto the chassis in the same way that the current Class 40 ones do.

I do this by modelling a 3D version of the chassis so I can fit the design around it. This is coloured in green and blue (some of it can be seen in the renders).

The following renders are not of the best quality because I was in a bit of a rush but they give and good idea as to what the overall look of the model will be!

I am planning to have spare plastic buffers but get hold of some turned brass ones as I think they look far more refined (and are less prone to breaking!).

There are some inaccuracies with the design, some because of the donor chassis shape and some due to ease of designing. As this is a personal model I am not too worried and as long as it is recognisable and has the feel of the prototype, I am happy :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Alex

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 10:27:01 PM »
A steam Shed - personally I like the look of it.  Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »
[5" gauge Leader]

Jeez - he's hammering along with that lot - I hope Heath 'n' Safety weren't watching!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 11:14:45 PM »
I would be very happy with a basic shape body with decent sideframes  and some representation of the pipework and gubbins on the front , I wouldnt bother about the inside of the body as long as I could fit a 47 chassis in it with some tacky wax or blue tack .I will ask Adam Warr if he could do some vynals for this based on the card kit I have or just photo copy the card and stick it on the kit and then varnish it or  spray photo cote or whatever its called.
I love all the unusual locos ,and cant wait for Alex to produce this for sale to us.
BobTidbury
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:16:22 PM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 02:57:06 AM »
Fascinating thread. Can't help thinking that it looks like an early 20th century underground train jacked up on a boy racer suspension, but what do I know!

Good luck to @AR with the 3D model, it's already looking good. And many thanks to @Snowwolflair for posting a truly fascinating video.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 03:21:01 AM »
Looks like model performs better than the prototype!!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal