!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Frankland: Southern Railway | London Suburban | 1920s/30s  (Read 67207 times)

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
Re: Frankland: Southern Railway | London Suburban | 1920s/30s
« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2017, 09:49:29 PM »
Special Announcement

Well thereís no putting the news off any longer, it seems apart from some paperwork, Iím moving home within the next four to eight weeks.

The new house will have itís own, proper, dedicated railway room, with enough space for a slightly larger layout than I have now.

Iím very excited, although as you can imagine, also a little sentimental at saying goodbye to Frankland in its current guise.

No promises - but I expect the next rendition of Frankland will include working trams, underground trains, and A/C electrics, alongside third rail.

The house Iím moving to is Edwardian, and completely unmodernised, so much work needs to be done.
This means it may be a year or so before I can start on a new layout.

But that doesnít stop me planning though :)

Iíll be sharing thoughts on the new layout in due course :)

Does "A/C electrics" mean the former LBSCR overhead system discontinued by 1929 - it's been very rarely modelled, if at all
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline Southernboy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: January 07, 2017, 10:15:52 PM »
Yes indeed :)

I kicked myself almost from the start of Frankland for not having included LBSCR overhead electrics in the plan.

The 'Milk Van' units will feature on the new layout :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
Your plans sound very exciting indeed judging by the excellent model making of your current layout. However, you will, of necessity, be scratchbuilding a lot of stock, not to mention the distinctive LBSCR overhead electrification infrastructure, which will be a long process, I would think.

I hope you'll be able to get your new home into the condition you wish relatively quickly so that you can start work on what, I'm sure, will be a superb and highly distinctive layout.

I'm sure that lady Trevelver's mother will approve highly having been a young 'gal' about Town in the 1920s. 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »
What a delightful story Chris, and the clock is something so many of us have kept an eye on so many times as we await a departing train :)

Next time I am at Waterloo your tale will be in my head :)

Many thanks for your nice comments. I'm glad that you appreciated it and thank you for providing some of the inspiration.

Offline Southernboy

• Awards
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2017, 12:02:13 PM »
Can Frankland Mk2 be Mk1 with some extension so as to save as much as possible of your excellent work?

Much as I'd love to take Frankland as it is, and feel quite sentimental about it - I have the opportunity to start again, and that is quite exciting. For one example finescale track is now available, and for another, I hope to have working trams. So lots of good reasons for starting afresh :) 

I'll keep all the buildings in case I can use them again :)

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
Hi Good luck with the move and I hope the new works keep you busy - I guess the new model room will take a while but imagination knows no boundaries so in your head a fine scheme will Gel.

I guess no chance of layout finding a new home ? ... hint... !!

I suspect the last shots will be a fast forward to a wW11 1940s image... as Frankland suffers a direct hit in the street, as it will be abit late for a zep raid?

As many have said the work has been inspirational and the format of updates revolutionary.
Many on here will be "with bated breath"..
all the best
Robert   

Offline Southernboy

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2017, 12:15:55 PM »
can Frankland mk2 be portable so we can see it on the exhibition circuit?

I'm afraid not. Frankland is strictly 1924 Ė 1937.

My understanding is that, sadly, Frankland was badly hit in 1940 and nothing much of the original survived, so exhibition wouldn't be possible today.

I believe the area ultimately ended up being rebuilt as some ghastly 1970s shopping centre. Sorry!  I really don't like to think about it!

EDIT: Mr Shrives, you perfectly preempted my post as I was writing it :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:22:14 PM by Southernboy »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: January 08, 2017, 12:26:24 PM »
Ah, yes, very sad. I believe the (then) future Lord Trevelver remembers pre-war Frankland well as the Castle Estates dealt with a firm of accountants who had their offices there near the SR Electric station. His future wife used to enjoy shopping in the many high class emporia nearby.

Many years later, the sadly widowed grandmother used to recall Frankland by leafing through two books in the Castle library:

"London's Elevated Electric Railway: The LBSCR Suburban Overhead Electrification 1909-1929" Paperback Ė 1 Jul 2002
by Geoff Goslin

"The LBSCR Elevated Electrification: A Pictorial View of Construction" Paperback Ė 15 Sep 2011
by Stephen Grant

How elegant those electric trains were she remembers. Happy Days!

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #263 on: January 08, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »
Nooooo  :sorrysign: to see Frankland go, I guess if you're set on starting over then taking the current version and continuing building it is not really viable as it would be a distraction.

Hopefully it survives the move for you to run trains in-between work on the house and planning the new.

Looking forwards to it, hope your amazing shops will find their new home on the planned layout.

Offline Southernboy

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: January 08, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »
Thank you gents,

Chris, I have those books, and in fact was re-reading one only yesterday, they are both informative and inspiring :)

Blacksheep, I'm not sure if the layout will move or not - if it does, it will be more ornamental than operational - something to look at whilst I plan the next version :)

Offline chorleysteve

• Awards
« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »
good luck mate - you've been inspirational with Frankland mk 1, I'm sure you will be with Frankland mk 2.  The Brighton electrics, especially, could be a frustrating but very rewarding challenge!

Offline Southernboy

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: January 08, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »
I think the most challnging aspects of the Brighton electrics will be the pantographs and housing on the roof, and the overhead itself. The overhead infrastructure was very different back then. By the same token, it will be an interesting project, and one I hope that will ultimately bring satisfaction and something different to Frankland.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: January 08, 2017, 10:23:05 PM »
 :hellosign: A big  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: for your talent, good luck with the move & looking forward to mark 2 presently
   regards Derek.

Steamie+

« Reply #268 on: January 09, 2017, 06:32:21 AM »
Special Announcement

Well thereís no putting the news off any longer, it seems apart from some paperwork, Iím moving home within the next four to eight weeks.

The new house will have itís own, proper, dedicated railway room, with enough space for a slightly larger layout than I have now.

Iím very excited, although as you can imagine, also a little sentimental at saying goodbye to Frankland in its current guise.

No promises - but I expect the next rendition of Frankland will include working trams, underground trains, and A/C electrics, alongside third rail.

The house Iím moving to is Edwardian, and completely unmodernised, so much work needs to be done.
This means it may be a year or so before I can start on a new layout.

But that doesnít stop me planning though :)

Iíll be sharing thoughts on the new layout in due course :)

Firstly I hope all goes well with your move and i agree with the other members on an extension of your brilliant work.    :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #269 on: January 09, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »
Thank you gents,

Chris, I have those books, and in fact was re-reading one only yesterday, they are both informative and inspiring :)

Blacksheep, I'm not sure if the layout will move or not - if it does, it will be more ornamental than operational - something to look at whilst I plan the next version :)

I was pretty sure that you'd have these books and really look forward to seeing you build and run LBSCR overhead electric suburban units on your future layout. I'm very glad that you'll be saving all those superb buildings for possible reuse. I wish your house move and Frankland II all success.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal