!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 109461 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #2025 on: April 05, 2020, 03:38:43 PM »
Back in London, George Soames looked up from his large, beautifully polished, mahogany desk towards his long suffering secretary, Miss Lovechild. It was Soames who had taken that early morning call which had precipitated the big change to the meticulously arranged and well rehearsed plans. “They won’t like it, they will not like it one little bit Miss Lovechild. They are just going to have to alter their plans. I know they don’t like change but we have no choice this time. Put in a call to Leadbitter will you. Tell him that the cars will be waiting at 8-00pm precisely this evening. Drivers Bryant and May know about the revised plans so we have no need to worry about that but could you also get hold of Sir Felix Rumpold at Scotland Yard. He’ll no doubt need to put something into place.
Oh and finally, put in a call to Paddington. I’ve set everything in place with BR Western Region control but it would be good just to tell the stationmaster that the plan is going ahead”.
“Very good”, replied Miss Lovechild looking over the top of her reading glasses, “Don’t worry Sir George, it will all work out. These minor problems cannot be helped. By the way, I’ve put in a call to the curator at the abbey on Tresco just to keep him in the loop. I’m just waiting for him to return my call”.

Further North, Jubilee 45603 was just moving off heading across London to Royal Oak carriage sidings whilst at Old Oak depot, Camarthen Castle was being readied for the road, gleaming and resplendent after the most thorough attention from the cleaners.

Back in Cornwall Sid and Tommy were well on their way back to Trepol Bay. “We’ll be ‘ome by 5.30 I reckon”, said Tommy, “Maybe then we’ll learn what this ‘as all been about”.
“I wouldn’t bank on that”, replied Sid. “As long as I get my twenty five quid I don’t really care any more”.
With that Sid eased the prarie, with its two brake vans, over the junction at Penweathers towards Truro where they would reverse for the run up to Chacewater and back to Trepol Bay.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 09:43:33 AM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2026 on: April 05, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »
 :hellosign:
     Many thanks Martin, just waiting patiently  :angel:
         stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #2027 on: April 06, 2020, 08:49:21 AM »
This tale is ruining the edge of my seat. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2028 on: April 06, 2020, 04:34:45 PM »
So....after sleeping on it and a lot of thought, I have decided ,as per the suggestion of @Chris in Prague, to lower the height of the pitched roof.
I had already decided that it was rather dominating things so Chris’ suggestion was confirmation.
 I’ve taken a good 1.25 inches off the height and feel it looks much better even if it was a delicate operation to remove the original version.

At Paddy’s suggestion @Paddy, I have added some ironwork to the glass dome. Unfortunately, the picture doesn’t show it.
The clock is just blutacked on. Not sure about it and in reality, no one can see it!  Maybe a LSWR crest instead?
Finally, I’ve started on the parcels office (behind the main building). It’ll be low relief with a pitched roof.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:57:15 PM by port perran »

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2029 on: April 06, 2020, 05:21:03 PM »
So....after sleeping on it and a lot of thought, I have decided ,as per the suggestion of @Chris in Prague, to lower the height of the pitched roof.
I had already decided that it was rather dominating things so Chris’ suggestion was confirmation.
 I’ve taken a good 1.25 inches off the height and feel it looks much better even if it was a delicate operation to remove the original version.

The clock is just blutacked on. Not sure about it and in reality, no one can see it!  Maybe a LSWR crest instead?

That roof looks a lot better now.

I very much doubt that the railway would have put a clock there, above the glazed roof, so probably better off without it. I doubt that the wall would have been adorned with the company logo either - that would have more likely been on the opposite end wall, to be seen as passengers approach the station.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2030 on: April 06, 2020, 05:21:15 PM »
To continue the storyline

At 17.01 Sid Trevaskis eased the prarie tank gently alongside platform 1 at Trepol Bay.
“Well, we’re home”, he called across the cab to fireman Tommy Bray who was tidying up.
“We are indeed and now we’ll find out what this was all about”, replied the younger man.
George Thomas was awaiting  their arrival, “Welcome back chaps. You can climb down now . I’ve arranged for young Barry here to take the loco back to the shed.”
“Thanks George”, called out Tommy Bray, “Now, what was this all about?”
“Ah”, replied George, “Hmmm.....I’m afraid you’ll have to wait till tomorrow. Sorry to be so vague but this really is top secret. In view of what you’ve done today, your bosses have agreed to you both having tomorrow off. However, there is one stipulation. Can you be down here, at the station, on platform one at 12.00 mid day please. You’ll learn everything then plus you’ll receive your payment and a couple of other little gifts”.
Sid and Tommy didn’t really know what to make of what George had to say but they were too tired to question him further.
They simply wanted to get home to a roast dinner and a couple of pints.
“No worries”, said Sid as the two engine men walked off the station, “We’ll see you tomorrow”.

Up in London at exactly 8-00pm two Daimlers rolled up outside the ornate gates which were opened, with salutes from the two gatekeepers.
Over at Paddington, some rather unusual yet ornate carriages stood at Platform 1. The station master was about to change into his finest suit and top hat.
Camarthen Castle was simmering gently and receiving some final attention at Renalgh Bridge servicing centre. She was looking immaculate with shining paintwork, gleaming brass and burnished buffers.

Meanwhile, in Falmouth Docks there was some frenetic activity involving the ship which had docked that morning.

George Soames, still at his desk in Central London allowed himself a tot of finest single malt as he relaxed. Everything was going to plan. He need not have worried, Miss Lovechild was an expert at arranging things down to the finest detail. She had gone hone now but had left a note for Soames saying that the curator of  Tresco Abbey had returned her call. Apparently the change to the schedule would pose no problems and everything would still go ahead a day early.

Soames decided to make one more call, just to be sure.
He dialled the number for the Met Office......

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:22:26 PM by port perran »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2031 on: April 06, 2020, 05:55:31 PM »
Excellent, Martin.  I love your characters' names.

And I suspect a 'Grove' or, maybe a 'Deepdene' working.  I have made a guess at what was in the van!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2032 on: April 06, 2020, 07:03:51 PM »
Excellent, Martin.  I love your characters' names.

And I suspect a 'Grove' or, maybe a 'Deepdene' working.  I have made a guess at what was in the van!

Best wishes.

John

Thank you John but I have to ask, what is a Grove or Deepdene working?

As for what’s in the van......if you have correctly guessed the contents well.......I’ll eat my hat!

Martin
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:18:12 PM by port perran »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2033 on: April 06, 2020, 08:37:59 PM »
Whilst I know what a 'Grove' or a 'Deepdene' working are code for, I do not know what is in the van.

I think the new rear station roof looks much better. Instead of the clock, I'd put an LSWR crest. We can assume that the glass roof was a much later addition after gale damage (?) destroyed the original station platform canopies? I'd even consider extending it to the rear of the flat section.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2034 on: April 06, 2020, 09:02:13 PM »
Ah....that was the clue I needed Chris.
I now know what Grove and Deepdene workings are (thanks to Google).

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2035 on: April 06, 2020, 09:19:03 PM »
My late father in law told me.  He was an engineman at Inverness.  He never worked a Grove, but, I think, he was on a Deepdene.  On a personal note, my interview for a job as a BR management trainee was at The Grove, just outside Watford.  This was the LMS wartime headquarters.  The SR's one was at Deepdene, near Dorking.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2036 on: April 06, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »
Thanks John
The storyline will start to make sense tomorrow I think.
Hopefully it will be concluded by Friday.
The big question is of course..........what was in that van and why was it at Trepol Bay initially?

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #2037 on: April 06, 2020, 09:35:59 PM »
The big question is of course..........what was in that van and why was it at Trepol Bay initially?

Oh my! :o

It seems even the author doesn’t know what’s going on! :goggleeyes:

:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2038 on: April 06, 2020, 09:39:10 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
    Thanks Martin the changes to the station canopy looking good.
      Have no idea what was in the van, hopefully all will be revealed presently.
    Thank you gentlemen Dorking Deepdeen station on the Reading to Gatwick journey now makes sense
      stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2039 on: April 06, 2020, 10:12:31 PM »
From 'The History of the Southern Railway' by Michael R Bonavia (which is where I must have read it, an interesting short book) which adds to John's previous post:

'The Southern's wartime headquarters was arranged in Deepdene House near Dorking.'

'Deepdene gave its name to a set of signalling and other regulations which were applied to special or ordinary trains conveying royalty and VIPs, other than the King and heads of state. The 'Deepdene' regulations were less restrictive than the full Royal Train regulations, which required, for example, double block working to be instituted and tunnels inspected. The Royal Train regulations were coded 'Grove', derived from The Grove, the LMS wartime headquarters near Watford.'

I take it the Deeplus regulations were intermediate between Deepdene and Grove?

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal