!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 70436 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #1665 on: July 17, 2019, 08:26:02 AM »
Louis Delacroix had grown up in Chartres just outside Paris. Whilst not having  excelled academically, he had developed a keen sense of awareness where commercial opportunities could be exploited. This led to him becoming increasingly involved in the import and export of alcoholic beverages, particularly between France and the United Kingdom and the United States.
Joining Remy Martin as an apprentice salesman on leaving school and realising he had a talent for this kind of work he determined to learn as much as he could as quickly as he could.
Within 5 years he had left the company to start his own import/export operation based just outside of Le Havre. After five years of hard work the company employed around 75 workers and was starting to earn an international reputation. Louis Delacroix was becoming used to the lifestyle that accompanied his success and was ever hungry for more. So much so that he was not averse to cutting a few corners and pulling strings and calling in favours. He had also developed a keen eye for spotting new opportunities that he could exploit to his and his company’s best advantage.
It was one such business opportunity that led him to Trepol Bay in the Summer of 1963.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:48:04 AM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1666 on: July 17, 2019, 05:08:20 PM »
Louis Delacroix had a sharp mind. He was innovative and he was ever open to new opportunities. It was during a visit to New York in November 62 that the seed of an idea was sown. The Jet Set was starting to develop. Young people with money were open to novel ideas, sitting in the Waldorf’s Astoria Lounge sipping his straight bourbon he was taken by the drinks menu which included a range of colourful, inventive cocktails. He tried a Classic Manhattan and fell in love with the colour and the flavour. “Could I introduce cocktails to the mass market in Britain and France? Could I offer cocktails in a bottle?”
Back in his office a few days later he placed a call to Anton Bartelot, Head Chef at the Paris Ritz, “I need someone to work for me creating cocktail recipes”. The deal was done and a few weeks later Bartelot started work.
After several weeks his greatest creation, which had won the approval of Delacroix was Les Obus Francaise. It was unleashed to drinkers in Delacroix’s bar in Paris becoming an instant success,  consisting of a combination of malt whisky, fine cognac, vermouth and a dash of lemon juice, served over ice.
The only drawback was the price, it was beyond the means of all but the classier drinkers. What was needed was a cheap source of whisky and cognac. Once again, the seeds of an idea were forming in the ever alert mind of Louis Delacroix.
More telephone calls were made over the next few weeks.
In mid July of ’63 he boarded a flight from Paris to London Heathrow followed by a train from Waterloo to North Cornwall.
Finally, at 8.00 on 16th July he walked into that bar at the hotel in Trepol Bay.
Had he made the right decision?
“Good evening gentlemen”, he said in almost perfect English. “What a lovely evening it is and may I say how perfectly charming it is to be here. May I take a seat?”
“Never mind that”, blurted one of the two men sitting at the corner table, “‘Ave ‘e got the money. Tha’s all we be int’rest’d in”……….

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:58:36 PM by port perran »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1667 on: July 18, 2019, 04:10:03 PM »
“Gentlemen, please, let’s not be in a rush. I need to be absolutely sure that you have everything in place before we go any further. Now, you two were recommended to me by Miss Danielle Parks, she is the advertising and marketing manager at the Headland Brewery. It was Bob Orr, Head  Brewer and a good friend of mine who suggested I contact you two. Danielle gave me the contact name. Now, which one of you two is Walter Daysmith of The West Cornwall Business consultancy?”
The two men sitting opposite exchanged a quick glance, something not missed by Louis Delacroix who also noticed that they were shifting uncomfortably in their seats.
“We’ve done everythin’ asked”, stuttered the slightly taller and older of the pair, “Tis all set up an’ arrang’d. What you asked is done and ‘tis all ready to go. Just give us the money and you’ll get the keys””.
“I will not be handing over any money young man until I am absolutely certain that you have arranged everything to my complete and absolute satisfaction”, replied Delacroix as he sipped assuredly on his brandy and ice, his mind absent mindedly wandering towards thoughts of the new range of cocktails that his company intended to launch. Louis Delacroix had a sharp brain though and realised the two men opposite him were struggling. “So, I’ll ask again”, he continued, “which one is Daysmith?”
“That be me”, replied the older man regaining his composure, “We’ve ‘rranged the ware ‘ouse, we’ve got you 7 staff like you asked. They be ready to start work tomorrow. We’ve arranged for the bottles to be delivered. We ‘ad ta pay fer they up front. Won’t be ‘ere fer three day tho’. Sorry ‘bout that. Couldn’t be ‘elped. Now pay up, we’ll give e the keys an’ we’ll be off”.
With that Delacroix rose slowly from his seat and walked towards the bar, careful to carry his brief case with him. He ordered another brandy whilst having a quiet word with the barmaid before returning to his seat. “So, gentlemen, before I call the police, please explain exactly how the notorious Poldory brothers  managed to obtain a confidential letter which I sent to Danielle Parks?”
The two brothers, Alan and Larry Poldory made to get up. “Stay exactly where you are”, said Delacroix in a calm assured voice, “I suggest that we start again………”

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1668 on: July 18, 2019, 05:50:41 PM »
Thank you, Martin, for another very interesting story, with a very unexpected twist. The last time they were heard of, the younger Poldory had gone 'straight' with the love of his life, the former barmaid of the "Tramway Inn", Cant Cove, and had left the area to make a new life together, after his brother had knocked him out and tried to frame him for theft; whilst the elder, hardened criminal, Poldory, had escaped police custody, in Bodmin, after conviction, and stowed away on the special passenger train to Paddington where, unknowingly, Susan had discovered him and rendered him unconscious. More recently, in Scotland Yard, DCI Snapper had come accross a report of a man seen leaving a stabled empty passenger train, that same day as the special, outside Paddington station, and suspected that it was indeed Alan Poldory. (Snapper is to receive a message, via Rule, from his London team that Alan Poldory has been very recently reported associating with very serious East London criminals.)

D.I. Rule had informed D.C.I. Snapper that two very menacing Londoners had been reported touring the North and West Cornwall area, in a car hired in Exeter, asking after a certain Sir John Bream, accompanied by a nameless young blonde woman, as well as a local ne'er-do-well, Alan Poldory. However, before he could investigate further, Snapper had been summoned to a meeting with Admiral Tregowan and Sir George Widgeon III at the Army and Navy Club, before being sent off, under an alias, on the 1.25am Newspaper and Passenger train from Waterloo (along with Susan), changing at Wadebridge, arrival 09.19am, where D.I. Rule will meet Snapper, for a local service to Tregonning where Lord Oliver and Lady Emily Trevarnon, will send a car to take him to Tregonning House. Snapper intends to discuss both cases with his respected local colleague. Rule also strongly suspects a link between the arrested Exeter 'sticks man' and the two very menacing Londoners with the attack on the whisky van at Wadebridge goods yard. However, the same East Londoners, with a new local accomplice, have also been reported asking about a certain horsebox and racehorse belonging to Sir George Widgeon III. It all seems very complicated, which pleases Snapper no end. Rule, however, wishes that Londoners and others from outside his beloved Cornwall would stay well away. The likes of the Poldorys are quite enough for him and his local colleagues.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1669 on: July 18, 2019, 06:55:56 PM »
The Poldory brothers had, in fact, chanced upon the letter sent to the Headland Brewery by Louis Delacroix .
Larry Poldory had indeed “gone straight”, well, fairly straight and was living a contented life with his wife.  However, with his first baby on the way and not being able to hold down a job in Guildford, the couple had moved back to Cornwall, Larry managing to obtain a part time temporary post as a cleaner in the offices of the Headland Brewery.
He had noticed the letter, in the in-tray of Bob Orr. Realising an opportunity, he had taken some headed note paper home so that his wife could type a reply in the name of Walter Daysmith.
Realising that he had lost many of his local contacts in Cornwall, Larry had got in touch with his brother Alan  who would be able to arrange things.
Alan, sensing an opportunity, was only too glad to Have an opportunity to make a bit of money. He was , after all, in the area having taken a train down from London. He had other “important” business to attend to but this opportunity was too good to miss.
Alan Poldory was convinced that it would be easy to pull the wool over the eyes of that “stupid” frenchman Delacroix, or whatever his name was. He might even be able to do him a good turn. After all, there were a good few cases of Scotch whisky stowed in a garage just outside of Wadebridge that might be very useful to the French businessman.
The Poldorys, of course, vastly under rated Louis Delacroix. He is a very perceptive man. Being good friends with Lord and Lady Trevarnon, of Tregonning House, he is well aware of the mysterious events with the Tullibardine Whisky van in Wadebridge goods yard. DI Snapper and his local colleagues might be very interested to know that the Poldory brothers were back at work in the South West.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1670 on: July 18, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »
Excellent, Martin. Very well-played! 8-) A very nice addition to the Summer of 1963's events.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1671 on: July 18, 2019, 09:30:36 PM »
A nice twist Martin. I hadn’t spotted that coming.  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1672 on: July 18, 2019, 10:02:21 PM »
 :hellosign: Excellent story, Martin (& Chris), so the Poldory brothers are up to no good again oh heck
     regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1673 on: July 19, 2019, 08:04:12 AM »
The sad truth is that the younger Poldory brother, Larry, is still too easily influenced by his more ruthless, assertive and highly persuasive brother, Alan, and, despite his loving wife's best efforts, Larry is unable to resist him and his 'get rich' schemes. Larry felt very bad about tricking his wife into typing the letter as a 'test piece' for a job interview but, money was tight and Larry wanted to give his son a much better childhood than he had had being brought up by his divorced alcoholic mother. The brothers' father, a merchant navy seaman, had emigrated to the USA, soon after Larry's birth. D.I. Rule was well aware of the family circumstances but had no time at all for Alan and only fast diminishing sympathy for his brother. Alan had tried to trick, swindle and cheat far too many people on Rule's 'patch'. On top of all that, Alan's seemingly miraculous escape at Bodmin still rankled. And, now, it seemed that Alan was back in the area just when Rule had enough on his plate with the East London gangsters, the attack on the whisky van, and now Snapper was coming with something to do with a prize racehorse!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1674 on: July 19, 2019, 05:32:20 PM »
Returning to the Station Hotel at Trepol Bay, the two Poldory brothers, unused to someone taking command of a situation, meekly resumed their seats.
“Now, can I get you two a drink?”, enquired Louis Delacroix, “I might suggest a brandy and ice, I have a feeling that it could be the next big thing.”
“Two pints of Summer Lightning ‘ould go down well”, replied Alan Poldory, “Tis brewed by th’ ‘eadland brewery round ‘ere. Best pint you can get”
As Delacroix made his way to the bar, Alan whispered to Larry, “I dunt know what ‘e de want with we, but best leave any talkin’ to I”.
With that, the Frenchman returned with two bottles of Summer Lightning .
01AA9079-E52F-4A15-ACF8-E7DB0D4ED096 by martin scane, on Flickr
“Wass with the bottles Sir”, exclaimed Larry,”We’m used ta stuff outs the pump down yer”.
“Ah”, replied Delacroix, “It is a project of mine, I aim to change the way that the world sees and consumes drink. Alcoholic drinks are my business, I want to make drinks more accessible to everyone and give them more choice. Getting people used to drinks from a bottle will encourage them to buy and drink at home. There’s profit to be made from that approach”
The Poldorys exchanged glances and shrugged their shoulders.
“Now gentlemen, explain to me exactly what you have arranged for me”, continued the Frenchman.
“We’ve got e a ware’ouse down on th’arbour. Plenty big enough. Tis secure an’ safe. We got 5 folk willin’ ta work for e fer a month or so. We order’d the bottles but they b’aint ready till Thursd’y. We’ve ordrer’d twen’y gallons of lemonade which’ll be ‘ere t’morrow”, said Alan Poldory.
“Right”, replied Louis Delacroix, “So, firstly, I don’t in any way condone what you have done in hijacking a confidential letter. In fact, I am quite upset by your actions. But, you have shown initiative and you have acted quickly. Now, tell me, can either of you drive a lorry?”
“I can”, replied Larry. “Good, now I’ll arrange a truck if you can drive to Bristol this evening to pick up the bottles then I’ll pay each one of you one hundred pounds once the bottles are delivered, the staff are in place. Plus, you mentioned having access to several crates of Tullibardine whisky. Get those crates to the warehouse by tomorrow lunchtime and the deal is done. What do you say?”
“We’ll do it for two hundred each”, piped up Alan Poldory.
Louis Delacroix stood up and made to walk away. “One hundred and fifty”, called out Poldory as the Frenchman continued walking.
“OK, we’l do it”, Poldory conceded.
“Good men, I’ll have the money for you tomorrow once everything is in place”
“No, no, cash up front were the deal”, protested Alan Poldory as Delacroix continued to walk, whispering over his shoulder, “my man, there was no deal. It is entirely my call. I shall see you tomorrow”.
With that Delacroix opened the door and walked out. He had preparations to make.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1675 on: July 19, 2019, 07:28:15 PM »

Thursday 18th July 1963

Louis Delacroix had a busy time ahead of him if he was to make a success of his ambitious scheme to introduce a new cocktail to the British people. If he could make things work here then who knows, the worldwide market may well be laying in wait. He was only too aware of the power of advertising and had some very good friends in that industry.
As he left the Station Hotel, strolling towards the warehouse which had been arranged for him by the Poldorys , he began to think, “Should I trust those two brothers? Have I made a mistake?”. However, he placed enormous trust in his own judgement. Yes, they were criminals, Alan more so than Larry, but they had shown initiative, even if badly misguided, and they were cheap. He was paying the Poldorys a fraction of what it would have cost if he had, as planned, used the West Cornwall Business Consultancy. Yes, he had made his decision and would stick with it, maybe, just maybe he would be able to employ the two brothers longer term and get them on the straight and narrow. However, that could all wait. In the meantime, still sauntering towards the harbourside warehouse, he summarised the plan to himself. He was, as ever, meticulous in his preparation so he needed to be sure that nothing was forgotten.
Tomorrow would be Friday, an ideal day on which to start. First, the barrels of armagnac were due to be delivered to the warehouse by train this very evening. Secondly, the van load of Tullibardine whisky was also die to be delivered by train at the same time.
The Tullibardine distillery, having been mothballed for some years had resumed production in 1958. Anxious to sell some spirit as soon as possible they soon began distributing young whisky to blenders. Delacroix, keen to get his hands on some cheap whisky, negotiated a very good deal on 40 barrels of three year old spirit.
Larry Poldory was setting off for Bristol early to tomorrow. He should return by late afternoon with 5000 empty bottles, secured at a very favourable price by Delacroix from a failed soft drinks manufacturer.
First thing tomorrow, a bottling machine, purchased second hand from London, would arrive by road.
In addition, he also had several crates of good quality whisky to look forward to courtesy of Alan Poldory.
The five workers, arranged by the Poldorys would arrive at the warehouse at ten in the morning.
“Yes”, he thought to himself, “If all goes to plan, we could be in full production by by Monday morning.
As he turned the corner towards the warehouse, Delacroix allowed himself a brief smile. There, outside of the warehouse were the two railway wagons, one from the Tullibardine distillery and the other carrying the barrels of Armagnac.
93350198-D8CB-43AA-A4D9-49F62D166D67 by martin scane, on Flickr
So, the very first stage of the plan was working out.
Louis Delacroix took a look around the warehouse. Everything appeared to be perfect for his needs.
He gave a tip to the two railwaymen who were unloading the vans then walked back to the station where he arranged a taxi to take him to Tregonning House where he was to have dinner with Lord and Lady Trevarnon.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1676 on: July 20, 2019, 04:07:27 PM »

Louis Delacroix had been friends with Lord and Lady Trevarnon for some years having first met them at the Chateau de la Messardiere, St Tropez in 1960 where Delacroix had been hosting a lavish banquet and wine tasting event. The Trevarnon’s impressed with his vast knowledge plus his attention to detail, had invited Delacroix to organise a similar event at Tregonning House the following year.
This evening, Louis Delacroix was very pleasantly surprised that Lord and Lady Trevelver were also present, he having met the Trevelvers at a royal event at Windsor the previous year.
Delacroix arrived with a bottle of Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou St Julien which Lord Trevarnon eyed with delight, “Louis, you spoil us, I have been waiting to try that wine all year, it will compliment our main course beautifully”.
The five of them settled down to a very agreeable meal consisting of Wild Red Grouse Pate as a first course followed by grilled red mullet with cornish new potatoes, fresh greens and wild samphire and concluding with a wild cherry tartlette accompanied by cornish clotted cream.
Over dinner the conversation was largely concerned with catching up but Lord Trevelver in particular was greatly interested in Delacroix’s new venture into the cocktail market. Delacroix was particularly intrigued to learn of Lord Trevelver’s connection with a top London advertising agency, something that would be of tremendous help to him.
Eventually, the conversation turned to horse racing. Both the Trevelvers and the Trevarnons being huge advocates of the sport were delighted to discover the Louis Delacroix shared their interest.
“Louis, we’d be delighted if you would accompany us toNewmarket in August. We have great hopes of a horse running there. If he does well, and he is certainly expected to do well, he will be entered for the St Ledger at Doncaster in September. He is owned by a great friend of ours from up country and shows enormous promise”, enthused Lord Trevarnon.
“I’d be delighted to accompany you” replied an enthusiatic Delacroix.
“Great news, great news”, replied Trevarnon, “Now, if we can retire to the drawing room for brandy, we can fill you in a bit more. We have some top secret information about the horse and also a concern about some suspected illicit activity from a London betting syndicate”.
The three men made their way from the dining room, leaving the two ladies to plan a trip to Scotland later in the year.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1677 on: July 20, 2019, 06:24:14 PM »
If the Poldory brothers have anything to do with it, it'll all end in tears.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1678 on: July 22, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »
Louis Delacroix, Lord Trevarnon and Lord Trevelver made their way to the Drawing Room at Tregonning House.
On the way, Lord Trevelver was extolling the virtues of the advertising agency, Trevelver and Guillou  based on the expertise of his daughter, Sylvia and her friend Eli. With offices in both London and Wadebridge, Delacroix was keen to sound them out. He was, after all, looking for a well connected advertising agency to promote his new products.
On settling down, with brandy and cigars, Lord Trevarnon filled the others in with some important information concerning the horse racing. The horse, a three year old stallion named very simply The Moor, was owned by a great friend from West Yorkshire and was expected to do well in the St Ledger as long as it was placed in the August meeting at Newmarket. The Moor, having won all of his first four races, at Sedgefield, Bath, Lingfield and Ayr was attracting a huge amount of interest which included, unfortunately, certain members of the criminal fraternity.
Trevarnon confided in the other two that the situation was so serious that DCI Snapper, of Scotland Yard was due in Cornwall tomorrow for a meeting with members of the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary who themselves were becoming increasingly concerned about the actions of a certain Alec Heather who had been asking questions in the Tregonning area.
In fact, such was the concern over the safety of The Moor that it was considered important to keep his actual location a secret. To that end, he had been despatched to a secret location by rail in order to deter any kidnap plot. In order to confuse the potential kidnappers, five other horses had also been despatched to different venues in separate horse boxes.
“The thing is”, whispered Lord Trevarnon, taking a sip of his brandy, “The  Moor is here, in Tregonning. The local stables are looking after him. I know the owners and they can be trusted implicitly. We have arranged for a local security firm to keep a twenty four hour guard on the stables as a precaution but we are very confident that the horse will be safe”.
Delacroix and Lord Trevelver listened with interest. “So, this Heather fellow”, enquired Trevelver, “What do we know about him?”
“Very little”, replied Trevarnon, “Apart from the fact that he is a local poacher. Worryingly though, rumour has it that he has connections with a notorious local vagabond called Alan Poldory who has just, it seems, returned to Cornwall from London”.
With that news, Louis Delacroix gave a slight gasp, “Poldory you say, hmmmm, can you tell me a little more about him please”…………..

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1679 on: July 22, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »
“It seems”, continued Lord Trevarnon that this Alan Poldory chappie  has been spotted in the Railway Inn at Tregonning talking to Alec Heather. I don’t know much about Heather but I did have my gamekeeper chase him off our land earlier this year. Seems he was poaching pheasants . Poldory on the other hand is a much bigger story who has been mingling with an East London gang of late, so I hear from my friend DCI Snapper. Snapper is on to him but hey, why not pop back over here tomorrow lunchtime. Snapper is popping in for luncheon at 12.30 with a couple of colleagues from the local nick. Wants to talk to me about his concerns for The Moor. If you’re interested then please do join us”.
“Indeed I will, indeed I will”, replied Delacroix with a wry smile, “I must be off now though. I have a busy morning tomorrow, establishing my new warehouse at Trepol Bay”.
That very evening, just as the get together at Tregonning House was coming to an end, two shadowy figures were spotted by Mrs Baggs loitering at the side of Tregonning Post Office in the lane leading down to the stables. Mrs Baggs, not recognising the two figures immediately strolled to the telephone box to call 999………

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations