!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 59303 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #1380 on: February 11, 2019, 12:19:34 PM »
Cant Cove's official photographer is waiting for his latest colour photos. to be developed and printed; however, he also caught a ďSausage, Egg and Chips SpecialĒ for the special meal served at Trevelver Castle to thank everyone for their hard work during the terrible winter conditions. He also caught the Bullied BB Pacific and the WR Grange 4-6-0 passing through Cant Cove on their respective special trains which they had taken over at Wadebridge.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1381 on: February 11, 2019, 04:21:44 PM »
Thank you very much for these super photographs, Martin.  I'm glad that you had an agreeable operating session.  That's the appeal of model railways; one gets the fun of making the model and then the fun of playing with it.  Fun2!

The GWR goods train looks splendid.  I can almost replicate it passing Poppingham 30 or so years earlier.  I can't post a photograph of it, though, as I'm getting a message saying that I've used my data limit (or somesuch computer-related phrase).  Presumably something to do with the development work on the Forum.

As for the omnibus on the overbridge...excellent! 

Thanks again and all the very best.

John
Ah.....there is a limt on the number of photos one can place on the forum. It happened to me a while back.
A simple personal message to tank asking for a bigger limit will slve the problem.
Regards
Martin

Many thanks, Martin.

I sent a message to @Tank and received a lovely reply.  Thank you very much.  The capacity situation has been very kindly resolved.  Here is the GWR goods train passing the Down sidings.  Old Bill Dean believes on running to time, but he has managed to be almost thirty years early with this train!  One cattle wagon was shunted out of the train at Exeter.  The cattle in the other wagon have been regularly fed and watered.  It's important that livestock is well cared for on a journey by rail.

We are still on 'Southern and Friends' Rules at Poppingham.  Of course, the Southern and GWR are normally on friendly terms, even to the extent of keeping train crews' route knowledge of the 'other' line up-to-date in South Devon.

Pip-pip.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1382 on: February 11, 2019, 04:54:50 PM »
Iím glad that normal service has been resumed John.
Due to the success of the preserved GWR goods train, a similar SR version is planned.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #1383 on: February 11, 2019, 06:42:36 PM »
Just can't get enough of your layout, so much to see and so well presented.   :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1384 on: February 11, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
Thanks Caz.
Now......
Another interesting day at Trepol Bay witnessed several interesting trains. First, a 45xx tank at the head of a fine selection of wagons advertising the wares of various local and national breweries wends its way towards Wadebridge :
8BFCE82E-967F-4730-A557-794B63A06A42 by martin scane, on Flickr

And following on from the success of yesterdayís ex GW demonstration freight, today it was the turn of the SR demonstration train seen heading towards Trepol Bay heading in the direction of Truro.
Unfortunately, the restored T9 which was rostered to this working was failed earlier this morning and was replaced by34066 Spitfire.
555DBC1C-4903-41C0-B0E1-E79B0B15C156 by martin scane, on Flickr
On seeing these two photographs, I have realised that on setting up the layout again yesterday (after our guests had departed) I forgot to fit the little tunnel extensions at either end. Hence, it is possible to see into the tunnels, a situation now rectified.

Next a most unusual working as we see a Standard Class 5 heading towards Wadebridge with a train formed entirely of restaurant cars and buffet cars. The train originated at Penzance (Sloperís Siding) but the destination is, at this stage, unknown.
Note the ex GW railcar at Platform two waiting to form the 15.35 to Wadebridge and Penmayne.
CF201EC9-41BF-42E3-A916-5029C7D93C59 by martin scane, on Flickr

The GW railcar seen again, some 40 minutes later passing Wadebridge depot.
ACC032AE-0675-41A6-ADF5-F6BEF2822475 by martin scane, on Flickr
The strange light effect on the side of the railcar is caused by the hole on the side of the boxfile which used to house the box locking mechanism.
I must fill that in.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:30:36 PM by port perran »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1385 on: February 12, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
Many thanks for these super-duper photographs, Martin.

I'm wondering if there is a time tunnel between Trepol Bay and Poppingham, as the SR goods train was photographed here over quarter of a century earlier.  Clearly, with Mr OVS Bulleid still being on the LNER with Mr HN Gresley, the time warp had to do something about the 'Light Pacific'.  By the way, the 'Locospotter' in me, whilst not wishing to contradict you, thinks it is Hurricane, rather than Spitfire'.  I think the substitution of venerable 'Adams' '0395' 0-6-0 No. 3441 for the 4-6-2 on this light goods train is fair enough.   

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1386 on: February 12, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »
Thank you John and for that lovely photograph.
Indeed, I do believe that the time tinnel does indeed exist.
And yes, I have both Hurricane and Spitfire and simply got my two renowned fighters muddled.
I see that Flossie has assumed a somewhat safer position on the grassy bank next to the track.
A beautifully clear, crisp photograph which shows those trees to pleasing effect.
Martin

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1387 on: February 12, 2019, 09:30:14 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   Many thanks Martin (& John) absolutely superb, thanks for posting
       regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1388 on: February 15, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »
Iím frequently tempted to run long trains and jolly nice it is to see them rumble past Trepol Bay station.
However, Trepol Bay is on a quiet single line twixt Newquay and Wadebridge. Typically it sees two carriage locals and short pick up goods trains so this evening I set about replicating a couple of typical examples.
0AD77F3E-8945-48A2-AF85-2732B6081DD7 by martin scane, on Flickr
First an 08 shunter wanders past the signal box from the Wadebridge direction with a hopper of spent ballast.  It appears that the local shop is receiving its daily delivery of Motherís Pride.

70F9B156-07E5-40AD-8CCA-047E8DD5FFF2 by martin scane, on Flickr
Just a trifle later an Ivatt 2-6-2T is photographed passing the little shed building with the afternoon pick up goods. Double decker omnibuses are rare in the area but the top deck does afford the passengers an excellent view of the harbour.

Finally, a little ďbehind the scenesĒ peep at the Trepol Bay fiddle yard with various trains chomping at the bit for a run around the layout.
The seed tray contains onion seeds just germinating. We have a little storage heater just behind which keeps the seeds at an ideal temperature to aid germination.
A6083696-592A-4FEC-8C44-F2CB8BB27792 by martin scane, on Flickr

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1389 on: February 16, 2019, 09:36:14 PM »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Martin superb photos as always
      regards Derek

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1390 on: March 03, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »
Itís about time I put up a photo of Port Perran again.
85B78B87-7563-40A5-9CC6-AE68B82BEE2E by martin scane, on Flickr
An Ivatt 2-6-2T threads its way towards the station and on to Truro with a freight from the Port Perran Timber Merchantís yard.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1391 on: March 03, 2019, 07:12:24 PM »
Itís always good to see interesting and rare locomotive types making an appearance away from their usual haunts and this is a fine example from those splendid folk at Union Mills on the Isle of Man.
FE0E9C0D-DC6E-4799-A64B-FD08F1F505A8 by martin scane, on Flickr
A special train wends its way towards Trepol Bay station past the tiny locomotive depot which is home to more familiar locomotive power in the form of a 45xx prarie tank.
What a splendid sight this NE interloper makes.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:22:41 PM by port perran »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1392 on: March 03, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »
That's an excellent photograph of a lovely engine, Martin.

The 'B12/3' is in absolutely super, sparking condition and a credit to those who are looking after her 'down country'*.  I should think that the workings of that Westinghouse pump will have them scratching their heads a bit, though!

* Is 'down country' permissible as the counterparty to 'up country'?

John

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1393 on: March 03, 2019, 07:51:36 PM »
Very good to see some new photos. of Port Perran, Martin. I particularly like the first one of the train in the landscape. The LNER loco. is always an attractive visitor.

I plan to add a late model 57xx (not with the round cab windows) in BR Black Late Crest livery, like yours, in the future.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1394 on: March 03, 2019, 08:15:21 PM »
Itís about time I put up a photo of Port Perran again.

Good time for me, Martin. There's so much to learn from such a photograph. I'm printing it for a ready reference as I work on my scenery.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations

Advertise Here