!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 70267 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #1725 on: August 09, 2019, 11:21:01 PM »
The two detectives finished their third coffees as the ferry kiosk opened and they watched Elworthy and Bell go inside.

"So" said DI Rule, "they'll have no luck, we pretend to be touts, show them our tickets, money exchanges hands and we arrest them for trying to enter Sonmel illegally. On the way back to West Porthsea we grill them as to why they wanted to go to Sonmel in the first place and then inform them that Alan Poldory and Alec Heather had been arrested in Cornwall and had spilled the beans about 'The Moor', game over lads, and they'll soon crack."

At the same time the waiter came over to DCI Snapper and passed him an envelope saying "You 'av a telegram Monsieur." As he opened it, DI Rule stood up ready to put their plan into action. DCI Snapper read the telegram and immediately said "Sit down" to his colleague.

"What's wrong" said Rule.

"It's from London" replied Snapper, "apparently the French Authorities have a bit of a 'strange' relationship with Sonmel and have told us that although there is a ferry between here and there at undisclosed times, the French Government and Police Department do not want to get involved in anything untoward other than things involving France and Sonmel. Therefore, we have no jurisdiction here and can only act while on the ferry, or in Sonmel, with their permission, or back on the UK Mainland. They are trying to get hold of the Sonmel Authorities to sort something out so either we go to Sonmel and hope Elworthy and Bell get tickets, which is very unlikely, or we all return to West Porthsea empty handed".

"Pssst, monsieurs" said a quiet voice. The two detectives were both rather annoyed with themselves for not noticing the small teenage boy sitting at a nearby table. "I'm sorry for over'earing but I 'erd you mention Sonmel and tickets. My farther work for SNCF, he can get you or your friends on board for a fee."

"Out you" said the waiter in French. The boy quickly got on his bike and rode off, then circled, rode back past and said to the two detectives "The ferry leave Sunday, I find you before, yes?".

The detectives both nodded......

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:58:06 PM by weave »

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1726 on: August 09, 2019, 11:45:06 PM »
 :hellosign:
 Many thanks Martin & Chris, am enjoying the twists and turns in this tale.
        regards Derek

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1727 on: August 10, 2019, 08:21:10 AM »

The two detectives decided that they would indeed catch the ferry to Sonmel on Sunday which would leave them with a full day in Port Regleun to make their plans.
On the Saturday morning Rule and Snapper decided to return to Les Boucanniers for coffee in the hope that the small French boy would try to find them.
“I think”, said Snapper, “That we should try to get tickets from the young lad, sell them, hopefully, to Elworthy and Bell. We can then follow the pair on the island of Sonmel. My hunch is that they will attempt to find the horse. If they try to interfere with it, perhaps to injure it or to incapacitate it in some way, we can intercept them”.
With that the French boy appeared from around the corner and beckoned the two detectives over to a small hut at the quayside.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1728 on: August 10, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »
We return briefly to Tregonning where Alan Poldory was sitting with a pint of Summer Lightning when PC Cracker Jacobs walked in, off duty and with his girlfriend on his arm.
Recognising Poldory immediately, Cracker whispered to his girlfriend, “I know I’m off duty but I must keep an eye on that chap sitting in the corner of the room. He’s the notorious Alan Poldory whose involved in the plot to do something to the champion race horse, The Moor”.
Cracker nodded an acknowledgement  to Poldory as he walked to the bar to buy drinks. Almost at the same time Alec Heather came in, making his way to Poldory’s table.
“This could be interesting”, thought Cracker.
Alan Poldory made his way to the bar to buy Heather a drink. As he returned to the table Cracker saw him put the drink on the table but as he did so, he slipped a small bag down beside it containing a small quantity of white powder which Heather slipped into his pocket.
“Interesting”, thought Cracker, “Very interesting”.

Over at Trevelver Castle, in the field adjoining the stables, the various horses were being exercised as usual. Today, however, they were being watched by someone half a mile away using powerul binoculars.

Over at Trevelver Castle, in the field adjoining the stables, the various horses were being exercised as usual. Today, however, they were being watched by someone half a mile away using powerul binoculars.

….
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:18:05 AM by port perran »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1729 on: August 10, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »

Snapper and DI Rule finished their coffees then made their way over to the harbourside hut where the young French lad was waiting.
“What’s your name?” enquired DI Rule.
“It’s Pierre”, replied the young lad whose English was excellent, “I think you want ticket for the ferry to Sonmel. I can get for 10.00 france per ticket. It is for deck only, no cabin. You must not tell anyone where you get ticket. You say, bought at ferry terminal but I don’t expect anyone to ask”.
Snapper paid the lad twenty france and with that Pierre cycled quickly away I to the distance.

As expected, Elworthy and Bell had drawn a complete blank in trying to purchase ferry tickets to Sonmel, despite offering bribes to various people.
“It’s no good Tommy” said Harry Bell, “We are not going to get tickets. Our only hope is to try to sneak aboard but I don’t fancy our chances. It’s vital we get to the island. The horse there must be The Moor. No one in their right mind would transport a horse that far and at that expense if it wasn’t the real one. I suggest we keep trying”.

Bell and Elworthy continued to enquire in local bars and restaurants but to no avail. They began to believe that obtaining a ticket was impossible. Finally, the pair returned to Les Buccaniers where they ordered two cognacs which they were enjoying in the afternoon sun.
Soon, a rather tall man came to their table, “You are English yes?”
“Who’s asking”, snapped a rather suspicious Harry Bell.
“Never you mind who I am”, said the stranger with an assured tone, “It has come to my notice that you require tickets to the island of Sonmel”
“What’s it to you?” came the rather terse reply.
Snapper was speaking in his very best, very slight cockney accent, “I have many good friends here. You have been asking around for tickets. Now, do you wish to purchase a pair?”
Bell and Elworthy exchanged glances, “Can we trust you?”.
“That’s for you to decide”, replied Snapper, “Two tickets will be twenty francs. Take it or leave it”.
“I don’t know”, said Elworthy, playing for time.
Snapper got up , making to walk away.
“Wait”, said Elworthy, “Yes, yes, here’s twenty francs”.
Snapper took the money and handed over the tickets.

That evening Snapper and Rule enjoyed a fine meal before settling down for the evening.it would be an early start in the morning. The ferry would sail at 8.30.
It was a less comfortable evening and night for Elworthy and Bell who grabbed some steak and onions at a rather downtrodden bar then spent the night, rather uncomfortably, on two station benches.

Next morning, the two detectives boarded the ferry early so were able to watch the two villains walk aboard without question from anyone in authority.

Once the ferry was underway, Elworthy and Bell settled down on a seat near the stern. “Now, Harry, can you just check, do you have the drugs?” Asked Elworthy.
Harry Bell produced a small bag from his pocket.”Here it is. If we can just add a little of this to the horse’s feed we’ll be done. Just an ounce of this stuff will do the trick. The horse will appear to be in fine fettle  outwardly but the drug will slow him down just enough to affect his performance. No one will know and the effect lasts up to three months”
“Excellent” replied Elworthy, “Our bosses will be delighted. The Moor is a huge favourite for his next two races including the St Ledger. All the betting will be on him to win. With luck he’ll still do well but only come in second. We’ll be quids in”.

On the deck above, Snapper and Rule kept a watchful eye on the two villains below. “It’s all going well”, said DI Rule.
“Yes”, replied Snapper, “Once we dock we’ll trail the pair of them. I’ve arranged with the Sonmelian authorities to meet us. The police commander will be at the port and will greet us, in his civilian clothes, as old friends. We’ll recognise him as he’ll be waiting beside his wife’s rather battered yellow citroen. We can point out Elworthy and Bell and the Commander will inform his colleagues. Apparently, the local police have a cunning plan to lead the pair to the horse. Elworthy and Bell are convinced it is The Moor but, of course, we know better”.
“Good stuff”, said DI Rule, “This ferry is due to dock at 2 o’clock. I don’t know where Sonmel is but it certainly feels as if the skipper has taken a somewhat circuitous route”.

At precisely 1-30 Sonmel came into view. “Here we come”, said Snapper, sipping the remains of his third coffee.
On the deck below, the two detectives could see the criminal pair making their way towards the exit gate. No doubt they wanted to be first off.

At exactly 2 o’clock the ferry came alongside the dock.

Meanwhile, back in Cornwall at the Trevelver Castle stables. The policeman keeping watch on the horse in the fields began to make his way towards the stables. He didn’t like the look of the two men approaching from the opposite direction.

Also in Cornwall, Alan Poldory was making his way towards the stables at Tregonning, completely unaware that he was being watched.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1730 on: August 10, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
Excellent, Martin. The policeman at Trevelver Castle is from Wadebridge Police station but the castle is part of his extensive beat commencing at Cant Cove. In view of the distances, he has been issued with a motorcycle, a radio-telephone equipped Velocette LE, nicknamed a Noddy Bike. Normally, his is the quietest beat at Wadebridge station with the only excitement being arresting any foolhardy poacher who the very efficient Castle gamekeepers, all local ex-Army men known to Lord Trevelver, have caught in the grounds.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1731 on: August 10, 2019, 10:50:41 PM »
 :hellosign: Thanks Martin, my word lots of crooked characters around
      regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00