!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 84788 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #1725 on: August 09, 2019, 11:21:01 PM »
The two detectives finished their third coffees as the ferry kiosk opened and they watched Elworthy and Bell go inside.

"So" said DI Rule, "they'll have no luck, we pretend to be touts, show them our tickets, money exchanges hands and we arrest them for trying to enter Sonmel illegally. On the way back to West Porthsea we grill them as to why they wanted to go to Sonmel in the first place and then inform them that Alan Poldory and Alec Heather had been arrested in Cornwall and had spilled the beans about 'The Moor', game over lads, and they'll soon crack."

At the same time the waiter came over to DCI Snapper and passed him an envelope saying "You 'av a telegram Monsieur." As he opened it, DI Rule stood up ready to put their plan into action. DCI Snapper read the telegram and immediately said "Sit down" to his colleague.

"What's wrong" said Rule.

"It's from London" replied Snapper, "apparently the French Authorities have a bit of a 'strange' relationship with Sonmel and have told us that although there is a ferry between here and there at undisclosed times, the French Government and Police Department do not want to get involved in anything untoward other than things involving France and Sonmel. Therefore, we have no jurisdiction here and can only act while on the ferry, or in Sonmel, with their permission, or back on the UK Mainland. They are trying to get hold of the Sonmel Authorities to sort something out so either we go to Sonmel and hope Elworthy and Bell get tickets, which is very unlikely, or we all return to West Porthsea empty handed".

"Pssst, monsieurs" said a quiet voice. The two detectives were both rather annoyed with themselves for not noticing the small teenage boy sitting at a nearby table. "I'm sorry for over'earing but I 'erd you mention Sonmel and tickets. My farther work for SNCF, he can get you or your friends on board for a fee."

"Out you" said the waiter in French. The boy quickly got on his bike and rode off, then circled, rode back past and said to the two detectives "The ferry leave Sunday, I find you before, yes?".

The detectives both nodded......

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:58:06 PM by weave »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1726 on: August 09, 2019, 11:45:06 PM »
 :hellosign:
 Many thanks Martin & Chris, am enjoying the twists and turns in this tale.
        regards Derek

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1727 on: August 10, 2019, 08:21:10 AM »

The two detectives decided that they would indeed catch the ferry to Sonmel on Sunday which would leave them with a full day in Port Regleun to make their plans.
On the Saturday morning Rule and Snapper decided to return to Les Boucanniers for coffee in the hope that the small French boy would try to find them.
“I think”, said Snapper, “That we should try to get tickets from the young lad, sell them, hopefully, to Elworthy and Bell. We can then follow the pair on the island of Sonmel. My hunch is that they will attempt to find the horse. If they try to interfere with it, perhaps to injure it or to incapacitate it in some way, we can intercept them”.
With that the French boy appeared from around the corner and beckoned the two detectives over to a small hut at the quayside.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1728 on: August 10, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »
We return briefly to Tregonning where Alan Poldory was sitting with a pint of Summer Lightning when PC Cracker Jacobs walked in, off duty and with his girlfriend on his arm.
Recognising Poldory immediately, Cracker whispered to his girlfriend, “I know I’m off duty but I must keep an eye on that chap sitting in the corner of the room. He’s the notorious Alan Poldory whose involved in the plot to do something to the champion race horse, The Moor”.
Cracker nodded an acknowledgement  to Poldory as he walked to the bar to buy drinks. Almost at the same time Alec Heather came in, making his way to Poldory’s table.
“This could be interesting”, thought Cracker.
Alan Poldory made his way to the bar to buy Heather a drink. As he returned to the table Cracker saw him put the drink on the table but as he did so, he slipped a small bag down beside it containing a small quantity of white powder which Heather slipped into his pocket.
“Interesting”, thought Cracker, “Very interesting”.

Over at Trevelver Castle, in the field adjoining the stables, the various horses were being exercised as usual. Today, however, they were being watched by someone half a mile away using powerul binoculars.

Over at Trevelver Castle, in the field adjoining the stables, the various horses were being exercised as usual. Today, however, they were being watched by someone half a mile away using powerul binoculars.

….
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:18:05 AM by port perran »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1729 on: August 10, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »

Snapper and DI Rule finished their coffees then made their way over to the harbourside hut where the young French lad was waiting.
“What’s your name?” enquired DI Rule.
“It’s Pierre”, replied the young lad whose English was excellent, “I think you want ticket for the ferry to Sonmel. I can get for 10.00 france per ticket. It is for deck only, no cabin. You must not tell anyone where you get ticket. You say, bought at ferry terminal but I don’t expect anyone to ask”.
Snapper paid the lad twenty france and with that Pierre cycled quickly away I to the distance.

As expected, Elworthy and Bell had drawn a complete blank in trying to purchase ferry tickets to Sonmel, despite offering bribes to various people.
“It’s no good Tommy” said Harry Bell, “We are not going to get tickets. Our only hope is to try to sneak aboard but I don’t fancy our chances. It’s vital we get to the island. The horse there must be The Moor. No one in their right mind would transport a horse that far and at that expense if it wasn’t the real one. I suggest we keep trying”.

Bell and Elworthy continued to enquire in local bars and restaurants but to no avail. They began to believe that obtaining a ticket was impossible. Finally, the pair returned to Les Buccaniers where they ordered two cognacs which they were enjoying in the afternoon sun.
Soon, a rather tall man came to their table, “You are English yes?”
“Who’s asking”, snapped a rather suspicious Harry Bell.
“Never you mind who I am”, said the stranger with an assured tone, “It has come to my notice that you require tickets to the island of Sonmel”
“What’s it to you?” came the rather terse reply.
Snapper was speaking in his very best, very slight cockney accent, “I have many good friends here. You have been asking around for tickets. Now, do you wish to purchase a pair?”
Bell and Elworthy exchanged glances, “Can we trust you?”.
“That’s for you to decide”, replied Snapper, “Two tickets will be twenty francs. Take it or leave it”.
“I don’t know”, said Elworthy, playing for time.
Snapper got up , making to walk away.
“Wait”, said Elworthy, “Yes, yes, here’s twenty francs”.
Snapper took the money and handed over the tickets.

That evening Snapper and Rule enjoyed a fine meal before settling down for the evening.it would be an early start in the morning. The ferry would sail at 8.30.
It was a less comfortable evening and night for Elworthy and Bell who grabbed some steak and onions at a rather downtrodden bar then spent the night, rather uncomfortably, on two station benches.

Next morning, the two detectives boarded the ferry early so were able to watch the two villains walk aboard without question from anyone in authority.

Once the ferry was underway, Elworthy and Bell settled down on a seat near the stern. “Now, Harry, can you just check, do you have the drugs?” Asked Elworthy.
Harry Bell produced a small bag from his pocket.”Here it is. If we can just add a little of this to the horse’s feed we’ll be done. Just an ounce of this stuff will do the trick. The horse will appear to be in fine fettle  outwardly but the drug will slow him down just enough to affect his performance. No one will know and the effect lasts up to three months”
“Excellent” replied Elworthy, “Our bosses will be delighted. The Moor is a huge favourite for his next two races including the St Ledger. All the betting will be on him to win. With luck he’ll still do well but only come in second. We’ll be quids in”.

On the deck above, Snapper and Rule kept a watchful eye on the two villains below. “It’s all going well”, said DI Rule.
“Yes”, replied Snapper, “Once we dock we’ll trail the pair of them. I’ve arranged with the Sonmelian authorities to meet us. The police commander will be at the port and will greet us, in his civilian clothes, as old friends. We’ll recognise him as he’ll be waiting beside his wife’s rather battered yellow citroen. We can point out Elworthy and Bell and the Commander will inform his colleagues. Apparently, the local police have a cunning plan to lead the pair to the horse. Elworthy and Bell are convinced it is The Moor but, of course, we know better”.
“Good stuff”, said DI Rule, “This ferry is due to dock at 2 o’clock. I don’t know where Sonmel is but it certainly feels as if the skipper has taken a somewhat circuitous route”.

At precisely 1-30 Sonmel came into view. “Here we come”, said Snapper, sipping the remains of his third coffee.
On the deck below, the two detectives could see the criminal pair making their way towards the exit gate. No doubt they wanted to be first off.

At exactly 2 o’clock the ferry came alongside the dock.

Meanwhile, back in Cornwall at the Trevelver Castle stables. The policeman keeping watch on the horse in the fields began to make his way towards the stables. He didn’t like the look of the two men approaching from the opposite direction.

Also in Cornwall, Alan Poldory was making his way towards the stables at Tregonning, completely unaware that he was being watched.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1730 on: August 10, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
Excellent, Martin. The policeman at Trevelver Castle is from Wadebridge Police station but the castle is part of his extensive beat commencing at Cant Cove. In view of the distances, he has been issued with a motorcycle, a radio-telephone equipped Velocette LE, nicknamed a Noddy Bike. Normally, his is the quietest beat at Wadebridge station with the only excitement being arresting any foolhardy poacher who the very efficient Castle gamekeepers, all local ex-Army men known to Lord Trevelver, have caught in the grounds.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1731 on: August 10, 2019, 10:50:41 PM »
 :hellosign: Thanks Martin, my word lots of crooked characters around
      regards Derek.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1732 on: August 19, 2019, 08:53:34 AM »

At 2.05pm the gangway was slid into position by  Sonmelian harbour workers as the ferry was made secure alongside the harbour wall.
Tommy Elworthy and Harry Bell were amongst the first few passengers to disembark, totally unaware that they were being watched from both the deck above and from several pairs of eyes located around the harbour.
“Well, here we are” said Elworthy to Bell, “All we have to do now is find that wretched horse. I can just see that wad of crisp, new tenners being handed over when we get home. It’ll be a job well done”.
“Yep, money for old rope”, replied Harry Bell as the two of them stepped onto Sonmelian soil for the first time.

At Trevelver Castle, the dark horse, easily visible amongst it’s lighter compatriots was gazing, apparently contentedly, into the distance. The horse’s ears pricked up as he sensed a rustling sound near to the gate.

A little further South at Tregonning in mid Cornwall, another horse was also whiling the hours away at the edge of the field as Alan Poldory approached the stables. His colleague, Alec Heather was standing idly outside the local post office keeping a sharp watch on everyone and everything passing by.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1733 on: August 19, 2019, 09:05:53 AM »
You seem to be spinning this yarn out in an excellent manner.  Absolutely galloping along.  I think you are a bit of a dark horse!
 :sorrysign:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1734 on: August 19, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »
Thanks Laurence.
We’ve had so many visitors here since early July that I’m having to write the story in little chunks on the days between guests.
The last lot arrive on Friday for a week so I’m hoping to start drawing the story to a conclusion this week.
Martin.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1735 on: August 19, 2019, 04:40:11 PM »
It was 10-00 in the morning at Trepol Bay station as the local stopping train from Truro, via Chacewater and Port Perran, pulled into platform one headed as usual by one of Truro depot’s stud of prarie tanks,
Two very well dressed men stepped onto the platform from the first carriage. They had travelled down from London the previous evening spending the night in Truro.
“Well, we’re here now”, said Brian “Bet Slip” Parker to his colleague, Alan “Shiner” Partridge, “This place is in the middle of nowhere. What time are we meeting your lad Poldory?”
“Two o’clock in the Station Hotel. He’d better be there or he’ll wonder what’s ‘appened to ‘im. And, he’d better have done the job. Now, let’s get some breakfast in this god forsaken place”.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:27:12 PM by port perran »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1736 on: August 19, 2019, 07:23:24 PM »
The two men who had arrived at Trepol Bay were the leaders of the notorious betting syndicate based in London. The phenomenal rise to fame of Sir Henry Widgeon’s Horse The Moor had not, of course, gone un-noticed. The syndicate, recognising the huge following that The  Moor was earning amongst the horse racing fraternity had come up with a plan, a cunning plan that would earn them money. The syndicate had established control over a great number of independent betting shops throughout the country as well as a large proportion of on course bookies. Realising that, even at very short odds, The Moor was likely to be backed by thousands of punters, particularly at the upcoming St Ledger at Doncaster, they stood to lose a lot of money with people backing the favourite.
If only they could slightly incapacitate the horse, just enough so that it would come in second or third, they would make a huge some of money.
Brian Parker, with his huge network of contacts within the criminal underworld throughout London, had managed to source a new drug, used only by licensed vets to calm out of control animals. If it could be administered to The Moor, the drug would slow the horse down very slightly in time for the big race but, because it would be slow to take effect, The Moor, would be unaffected for its warm up race. In effect the punters would be certain that they would be backing the winner at the St Ledger.
Parker had arranged for two of his trusted associates, Tommy Elworthy and Harry Bell, to administer the drug, with help from Alan Poldory, due to his known interest in horse racing. Parker had been uncertain whether to involve Poldory but had been persuaded by his partner Alan  Partridge.
It was in a London pub one evening that DCI Snapper had, by complete good fortune, overheard the trio, who made the mistake of having a few too many drinks, discussing their plans. As a result, Snapper began to devise his own ides to nail the notorious gang whom he’d been tailing for over two years.
Snapper sensed a golden opportunity and he wasn’t going to let his chance slip.
That very evening, Snapper had warned Sir Henry Widgeon, owner of The Moor, who immediately put into place his own master plan to despatch Moor lookalikes to various stables in Britain and abroad.

It was Sir Henry’s actions that had thrown the London syndicate’s master plan into disarray. Confused and panicked they had acted without sufficient care.  Indeed, Elworthy and Bell had been lured to the island of Sonmel where DCI Snapper and DI Rule hoped to make an arrest. Meanwhile, unsure which was the real racehorse, Alan Poldory and a couple of local friends were left to deal with the various horses seen in Cornwall. The gang had no real idea which horse really was The Moor.

Bet Slip Parker and Shiner Partridge had decided to travel to Cornwall to try to ensure that their cunning plan was still on track, not really sure that they could rely on Poldory. The pair were feeling very uneasy as they finished their breakfast at the local greasy spoon diner. They decided to get to know the local area a little in the time before their scheduled meeting with Alan Poldory.

Meanwhile, at The Trevelver Estate near to Cant Cove in North Cornwall, PC Tim Parr, of Wadebridge police station, was speeding downhill towards the stables on his Velocette LE motorcycle. He had to reach the stable gates ahead of the shady looking character that he’d been watching through his binoculars.

At Tregonning, PC Cracker Jacobs decided it was time he made his move…..

And on the Island of Sonmel the following brief statement was released by the authorities :
“The  ferry is on schedule and will dock at 1400. We have confirmation that there are at least 2 suspicious characters on board, together with police officers Snapper and Rule. It’s time to implement operation horseshoe!”

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:26:47 PM by port perran »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1737 on: August 20, 2019, 02:25:04 AM »
As an aside from the activities surrounding The Moor, production of the new bottled cocktail called Les Obus Francaise was continuing at a good pace. Louis Delacroix, aided by the promotional expertise of Sylvia and Eli, was attracting great interest.
All was set fair for a grand launch at the St Ledger race meeting.

Larry Poldory, brother of the infamous Alan Poldory, was making the most of his role as delivery driver for the new company. He was relishing the opportunity to hold down a responsible opportunity and resolved to put his previous life of petty crime well and truly behind him. Indeed, Larry had not had any communication with his brother Alan since the day he started work and he intended to keep things that way.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:23:33 AM by port perran »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1738 on: August 20, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »
Trouble on Sonmel

A larger than usual crowd had gathered at the dockside for the arrival of the ferry. As a small isolated community there was always an interest in what was “incoming”.

The size of the crowd was directly as a result of operation horseshoe, masterminded by Nicholas Mee, head of security and policing. By international standards operation horseshoe was very simplistic. For Sonmel it was a big deal. The plan was to engage Tommy Elworthy and Harry Bell in conversation as soon as they came off the ferry. With a normal security force of one (Nick) ‘special agents’ had been recruited for the day. Once engaged in conversation the pair could be led away from the crowds. When separated, Snapper and Rule would make their arrests. Simples, nothing could possibly go wrong!

Once the mooring ropes were secured and the gangways deployed passengers began to come ashore. ‘Special agent’ Rosemary approached the pair with some trepidation. These sort of people just did not exist on Sonmel. However, she had been well briefed and was fully confident that operation horseshoe would be successful.

“Good morning gentlemen and welcome to our beautiful island of Sonmel. I’m sure that you will have a lovely time here.”

“What ho, luv. Bit quiet init?” was the response from Elworthy.

“Oh yes, it’s a very peaceful island, but a lovely place to visit. Although at the moment there is a certain amount of excitement around.”

“What’s that then, got a missing dog, or maybe somebody’s dropped some litter.” Bell laughed at his mate’s humour. The gal was quite attractive, maybe he would get a chance for a diversion during their visit. Elworthy was enjoying the encounter, especially the chance to impress his mate at his way with the women.

“Actually there are rumours that a famous racehorse has been seen. There have been several sightings of a rather ornate horse box, which is definitely not local.”

Both villains grew more interested in this woman. Could it be that they had struck lucky as soon as they got ashore? Easy money came into their thoughts. Elworthy looked at Bell and nodded.

“Really, where will be finding it then?” Elworthy gave a grin and moved closer to Rosemary.

‘It’s working’ she thought. Now to reel them in a bit more.

“Oh they are just rumours, you know what it’s like in a small community. Everything can get exaggerated ever so quickly.”

“No need to get all shy with me luv. You can tell me, honest as the day is long is me. There might be summit in it for you.” He grinned at her again.

Rosemary confidence started to ebb, she was beginning to get nervous. These two were certainly very dubious characters. “Well, there have been several sightings of the horse box on the line from the quarry.”

“Where’s that then? Can you take us there now?” Elworthy’s excitement was palpable, this could be the easiest big earner ever.

“Access is restricted, I’m afraid.”

“No need to get all coy with us luv. We’re ‘armless enough, just interested in ‘orses. Spill the beans.”

“Well, it’s not that easy. And they are just rumours.” Rosemary was getting even more nervous. These two were getting more aggressive with every passing minute. Maybe operation horseshoe was a bit too simple?

Elworthy spoke with some menace, “Look luv. I’ll make it clearer for you. Just take us there now.”
Rosemary suddenly felt completely out of her depth. “I don’t think that will be possible...”

Elworthy nodded to Bell and in a single swift movement he drew a flick knife, grabbed Rosemary roughly from behind and held the knife to her throat. Bell moved to his side, closely watching the crowd. “I’ll say it just one more time lady. Take us there now an no one will get hurt.” The crowd gasped.

“Nick, he’s got a knife.” The view through the sniper scope was very clear. “Elworthy has your wife with a knife at her throat. Do you want me to take him now?”

To be continued...

Also posted on Sonmel

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1739 on: August 20, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
Excellent Keith. Thank you.
I do hope that Rosemary will be ok  :(

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything