!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 67095 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #1485 on: April 12, 2019, 09:33:44 AM »
The Wadebridge Yardmaster, Bill Truscott, has been making extensive enquiries about the mysterious horse box belonging to Sir George Widgeon. Doncaster, that arrived at Trepol Bay in a special train, including the CLPG's preserved (in SR livery) ex-LBSCR brake van now used for enthusiasts. Also included in the train was one of a batch of surplus non-vacuum-braked (but fitted with through air piping) BR Grey Ferry Tube wagons sent to help cope with the increasing goods traffic resulting from the activities of the Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways. As long as there is a fitted head of vacuum-braked wagons in the train, these wagons can be usefully placed in service in the area.

From his enquiries, Bill Truscott has discovered that there was a very good reason for the transport of the mysterious horse box via the S&D, the SR mainline to the West and the North Cornwall line to Wadebridge, as far as possible during hours of darkness. It seems that the horsebox contains a very valuable young racehorse that Sir George, who has very good contacts within BR SR, wanted to remove from scrutiny.

I'll leave Martin to take up the story. 8-)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:44:00 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1486 on: April 14, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
Sunday evenings usually offer the opportunity to relax  and what better way to do that than running a few trains and enjoying a glass of wine.
This evening is no exception. I seemed to be in the mood to run some GWR or WR green engines for a change and this was the result :
03E7B4CA-739D-456F-AB23-7D9FEDD7BAB6 by martin scane, on Flickr
I do believe that the Manor and Grange make a perfect combination working together and I have to say that they perform beautifully around my little circuit at the head of a train of vans.
Praries of both large and small varieties complete the scene.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1487 on: April 14, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »
Excellent photo., Martin, and I fully agree with you about the loco. pairings. I can copy that double-header of a GWR livery "Manor" and BR Lined Green "Grange". Maybe, tomorrow, if we have some sun.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1488 on: April 14, 2019, 08:51:34 PM »
Sunday evenings usually offer the opportunity to relax  and what better way to do that than running a few trains and enjoying a glass of wine.
This evening is no exception. I seemed to be in the mood to run some GWR or WR green engines for a change...

Sounds tip-top to me, Martin.  And that's a super photograph; thank you very much.

I have been ironing this evening!  I've finished now and am off to play with trains...

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1489 on: April 17, 2019, 04:02:17 PM »
9B6FAE6A-6B7B-4DD5-8DB4-0C5A718907E8 by martin scane, on Flickr
Wadebridge yardmaster Bill Truscott has bought a brand new Ford Anglia of which he is extremely proud.
Heís taken the opportunity to motor over to Trepol Bay, his excuse being to witness the use of a prarie tank around the harbour.
In reality, however, Bill wanted to show off his new car. Unfortunately, no one appears to be particularly interested at the moment. Maybe the young lad with the pallet will be back to have a look once heís delivered it.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1490 on: April 17, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »
:greatpicturessign: Many thanks for this photo., Martin. A 4575 is a very rare visitor to Trepol Bay Harbour. Perhaps it was on 'gauging trials' as part of the enforced BR SR and BR WR co-operation or even with Easter weekend enthusiast brake van tours in mind and that was the excuse that Bill needed to make a short trip in his brand new car?

Bill suddenly realised that he really needed a car and got a very good deal at the Ford dealership in Penmayne, especially as, thanks to years of savings, he was able to pay by banker's draft.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:10:39 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1491 on: April 18, 2019, 06:47:38 AM »
:greatpicturessign: Many thanks for this photo., Martin. A 4575 is a very rare visitor to Trepol Bay Harbour. Perhaps it was on 'gauging trials' as part of the enforced BR SR and BR WR co-operation or even with Easter weekend enthusiast brake van tours in mind and that was the excuse that Bill needed to make a short trip in his brand new car?

Bill suddenly realised that he really needed a car and got a very good deal at the Ford dealership in Penmayne, especially as, thanks to years of savings, he was able to pay by banker's draft.
Bankerís Draft - now thereís a blast from the past.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1492 on: April 18, 2019, 08:08:15 PM »
Today has been busy, food shopping, a short session at the allotment, a trip to the local dump and then a full wash and polish of our camper - Bertie.
However, relaxing with a foaming ale early this evening (sorry to steal your description John), I was having a chuckle at a post on another online platform about unusual or bizarre locomotive/train formations which might annoy the purists.
As a consequence, I thought it might be fun this evening to see what I could come up with. So.......hereís the result. A somewhat super-powered  branch auto train makes rather heavy work of the approach to  Trepol Bay.
F86C5AEE-082C-4C10-A3D5-8603A83FF7A4 by martin scane, on Flickr

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1493 on: April 18, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »
 :hellosign: & why not Martin, looks good to me  :beers:
      regards Derek.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1494 on: April 18, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
Another diesel failure; thank goodness for steam engines!

Great photograph!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1495 on: April 18, 2019, 08:48:37 PM »
Another excellent photo., Martin. The autocoach is on its way to Swindon Works for overhaul, I think. The "Western" is on its way back to Plymouth (Laira) and to save a path was tucked behind the 14xx., whilst the milk tank wagon had had its hotbox problem fixed by the C&W examiner at Trepol Bay Harbour and is on its way to Tregonning. 8-)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1496 on: April 19, 2019, 08:28:24 PM »
For some reason, and I know not why, I rarely run my my two  ex GW 4-6-0s of Grange and Manor Classes. However, this evening was an exception and Iíve had a most agreeable hour or so running the pair on various trains around my little Trepol Bay layout where they performed admirably.
SoÖ.somewhat unusually, we go back in time to Spring 1939 and witness 7819 Hinton Manor at the head of a short train of mixed vans heading towards Wadebridge on a fine sunny day.
A325BC21-06E9-4DD5-AE6C-2454BBB83F72 by martin scane, on Flickr
What a fine sight Mr. Collettís 4-6-0 makes as she passes slowly by.

A short while later a somewhat work stained pannier shunts a single private owner wagon from the Teign Valley Granite Company along one of the harbour sidings.
A small trawler is awaiting high tide before venturing out into the Atlantic in an hour or so whilst a member  of her crew is taking a well earned  short break on the harbour wall.
677DECEC-9850-43E2-B5EF-47A18C2BDBA7 by martin scane, on Flickr

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1497 on: April 19, 2019, 10:02:49 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:   Thanks Martin   :thumbsup:
      regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1498 on: April 20, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »
Thank you, Martin, for two more excellent photos. I agree with you about not seeing the "Grange" and "Manor" often enough, particularly, the "Manor". "Manors" are frequent visitors to Cant Cove working WR trains via Bodmin Road and Wadebridge to Penmayne. "Granges" far less so, as they are barred west of Cant Cove.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1499 on: April 22, 2019, 08:14:35 PM »
This afternoon, preserved ex LNER number 1565 makes a fine sight passing Trepol Bay with the slightly late running Easter Monday Dining Special which ran from Penzance to Exeter via Port Perran and the North Cornwall line.
8B74438E-6999-41DA-B111-AD45A8DF78E6 by martin scane, on Flickr
The B16 was running well at the head of a very mixed rake of stock. Passengers were treated to luncheon and afternoon tea during their journey as well as fine wines and ales from various Cornish breweries.
Hereís a close up of Mr Holdenís 4-6-0. She is , of course, from the Union Mills stud of locomotives which are renowned for their reliability, durability and sheer pulling power.
2BEB31BE-F715-4BB0-8543-AF5547865294 by martin scane, on Flickr

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here