New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH  (Read 18803 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
Well its Sunday, there is nothing planned for me to do, so I may try and do some modelling  ::)

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2017, 07:25:38 PM »
Something has gone seriously wrong  :'( :'( :'(

I have actually made some progress with some of my outstanding projects, the 3 bolster wagons have had a littlr touch up with the paintbrush and holes drilled for the stanchions to be added.

My representation of a self weighing tender has received a coat of undercoat, and I think the Stanier mogul could do with a grey coat too.

I don't like progress it scares me  :'( :'( :'(

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »

I have actually made some progress with some of my outstanding projects, the 3 bolster wagons have had a littlr touch up with the paintbrush and holes drilled for the stanchions to be added.

My representation of a self weighing tender has received a coat of undercoat, and I think the Stanier mogul could do with a grey coat too.

In times of stress I find a little retail therapy works wonders.

I've often thought you're a little short on Black 5's.

:whistle:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2017, 08:39:44 PM »

I don't need to buy anything new, I have enough already.

IM A GOOD BOY STOP TRYING TO TURN ME NAUGHTY  :angel: :angel: :angel:

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »

I don't need to buy anything new, I have enough already.

IM A GOOD BOY STOP TRYING TO TURN ME NAUGHTY  :angel: :angel: :angel:

Mwah - ha - haaa

>:D
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »
I have enough Black 5s already, though the ones on reduction in various retailers are very very tempting.

I think I may have accidently acquired another Duchess, but I have not got a model of a Princess so this could be an option, maybe, but then again can a LMS secondary line ever have too many Duchess's?

What I do need is a 3F 0-6-0 and more freight engines, like G2s

Oh so much temptation, its a good job I'm a good boy

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2017, 08:35:54 PM »
Despite Emjaybee trying to get me to but more locomotives (how evil is that?) I have been making very slow progress on my attempts to produce a Stanier Mogul.

Progress has been slow on this, but I managed to fabricate the dome and top feed, I had thought it was passable but the photo shows I can do a little more work on it. Its not up to the standards of the models produced by Dr Al but for a ham fisted modeller like me it will do for now.

What has progressed a little quicker than I thought it would is the Black 5 with the self weighing tender, this started off as a really old (nearly old as me) Farish model, with brass gears and the firebox flush with the cab roof

Still its getting there, and maybe will get a coat of black soon ???
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:44:21 PM by paulprice »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »
Well there is some good news from the WORKBENCH OF DOOM

The majority of the Black 5 with its self weighing tender is nearly complete, all I have to do is straighten a miss aligned "L" on one tender side, as I missed this yesterday. Then give it a coat of satin varnish and then I can give it a little light weathering (I promise it will only be light)  :angel:

Then I will coal the tender, allocate her crew and add her to the fleet, I get the feeling this will not be  a quick process.

My Stanier mogul and black Jubilee are slowly and I mean slowly being lined, but my shaking hands are making this very slow and difficult, but even if progress is slow its still progress.

You never know I may even take a couple of pictures so you can have a laugh, after this though I mean it, plain black loco's all the way.  :D :D :D :D

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
The self weighing tender looks great but the mogul is in a class of its own!  :D

Shame they're LMS stuff but I guess nobody's perfect!  :P :P :P :P

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »
The self weighing tender looks great but the mogul is in a class of its own!  :D

Shame they're LMS stuff but I guess nobody's perfect!  :P :P :P :P
Steve

Are you sure your commenting on my engines? perhaps I should send you in my place at my eye test this week.  :goggleeyes:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »
Are you sure your commenting on my engines? perhaps I should send you in my place at my eye test this week.  :goggleeyes:

I'm quite sure and there is nothing wrong with my eye, thank you very much! I'll not comment if that'll make you feel better!!!!  :P :P :P

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2017, 08:29:57 PM »

I'm quite sure and there is nothing wrong with my eye, thank you very much! I'll not comment if that'll make you feel better!!!!  :P :P :P

Not only do I apparently according to the Domestic Overlord have Columbo's dress sense but I also have the use of one eye. Perhaps I should get 50% off on my test?

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »
Not only do I apparently according to the Domestic Overlord have Columbo's dress sense but I also have the use of one eye. Perhaps I should get 50% off on my test?

I think that would only be fair.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »
I'm not sure how it happened but I seem to have made a little more progress on the locomotives clogging up the workbench of DOOM.

The Class 5 with the Self weighing tender has been given a coat of satin varnish to seal her transfers, all she needs now is a bit of coal in her tender, a crew and maybe, just maybe a spot of weathering.

As for locomotives that need lining despite my problems with my hands progress is being made on these also. The Jube in 46 black has the loco lining finished, and one side of the tender nearly complete, then she will be ready for LMS branding and her number applying, though I'm not sure which one she will end up as.

My Stanier Mogul is slowly being lined, for these in LMS livery there is a deceptively large amount of lining needed, I have managed a few of the straight lines, well straight-ish but I will soon have to tackle the curves.

One thing is perhaps I should have scratch built the tender as the old white metal one is not only quite heavy but is not quite as sharp as I would like it.

I think once the above are completed I may avoid anything that needs lining for a while, a very long while. The bad news is that when I was looking for my varnish in the spare room, I found a parallel Scot (one of the two I started building a while back) and a 2P conversion that need finishing off.. :help: :help: :help:

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
When you say 2P conversion, do you mean hacking a Farish 4P? or are you detailing a Union Mills one? or maybe hacking a UM one into summat else? The public has a right to know!!!!!!
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything