New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: complete loco and chassis kits  (Read 2280 times)

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
complete loco and chassis kits
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:26:54 PM »
Following on from some off topic posts on another thread I would dearly like to know if there any complete loco kits (including chassis, tender, wheels) with pointers towards suitable motor ad gearbox.
I use to build 4mm gauge kits that were complete in this way.
Sorry if there are other posts answering this, but I couldn't find any.
 :thankyousign: :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: complete loco and chassis kits
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 02:34:50 PM »
I do believe the N-train EMU kits are "all in one" kits.

https://n-train.net/

They aren't motorised kits though, but I think they are designed to be easily motorised using off-the-shelf motor bogies. @captainelectra might know more; I think they're his kits.

Cheers, NeMo

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
Thanks Nemo. My interest is in steam and earlier diesels - sorry, should have put that in my first post. Thanks again.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 03:53:55 PM »
In the 70's and 80's when there were no British outline locos of any consequence there were five or six kit makers that relied on Minitrix, early Farish, Trix and Arnold chassis.

Unfortunately Foxhunter, Graham Hughes and the like are no longer with us and Langley and the other survivors are only now getting remastering, there being a long period when the castings were rubbish.

If you like GWR there are some new 3D printed GRW Railcars from BH Enterprises that run on Tomix chassis.  There are also a number of "Green era" diesel resin casts available through ebay and other routes but they need work.

This forum has become a fantastic source of new models and Shapeways are producing some of these, and also many other locos designed to run on available chassis.  Seach for my Adelante build thread.

I'm currently building a fleet of 2BIL and Tadpoles for our new club Layout of Wokingham c 1960.  I will be posting a thread, however to go with the brass sides and chassis from Worsley Works i'm getting @Alex to draw in CAD the roof sections and bogie frames for printing by shapeways, so in combination with Brass from Worsley and mechanisms from Tomix they are a kit of sorts.

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
Thanks David.
That's very useful, I'll have to do some more research. Still disappointed there don't seem to be any chassis/wheel kits. Is it just a cost of production issue do you think?

Bob Austin

Online PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »
Thanks David.
That's very useful, I'll have to do some more research. Still disappointed there don't seem to be any chassis/wheel kits. Is it just a cost of production issue do you think?

Hi

There used to be years ago wheels made by a company called beaver but they went a long time ago. The only wheels I am aware of now are from the 2mm Scale Association which won't be any use on N gauge track.

Cheers

Paul

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 05:04:35 PM »
Thanks Paul - that's what I thought.
Nevermind.

Bob Austin

Online Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 05:15:38 PM »
Thanks David.

Hi

There used to be years ago wheels made by a company called beaver but they went a long time ago. The only wheels I am aware of now are from the 2mm Scale Association which won't be any use on N gauge track.

Cheers

Paul

They have been used but they need a bit of work with a lathe.

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »
The reason for the demise of ABS/Beaver wheels was severe lack of sales, I used to get some direct from Adrian (he lived about 3 or 4 miles away) he said it took well over 5 years to sell the production run IIRC they made 4' through 6'6"  in 6" (1mm) increments.

Some early ones had squared axle ends which made quartering simple, however most did not have the squared axle ends and quartering was a right PITA which may have had something to do with the poor sales.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
 Snowwolflair mentioned the B H Enterprises Railcars The streamlined one uses a Tomytech TM 12 or TM 13 the parcels car and the twin units use the old Farish Poole built chassis allthough you can use a Tomytech  TM 17  if my memory serves me corectly.and for the dummy end of the twin sets you can use a Minitrix coach chassis suitably thined down  and thined down bogie side frames with just the Farish railcar bogie side frames again thined down and glued on to the coach bogies .
I have tried to get Ray to have a dummy chassis with the bogies resin cast but he wont listen .Im sure we would sell a lot more kits if they where complete.
I agree there is nothing worse than buying a kit then having to search for wheels or transfers or some other component to finish the model off,allthough I dont mind finding my own chassis.
Full marks go to AR and his Sentinal kit for giving people the option to buy with all the add on bits to detail it if your capable ,to be honest the handrail knobs and handrails are way beyond me I cant even pick them up there so minute.
Still I do have a go at some modeling and Im proud of my achievements even though some might think they are rubbish .
Bob Tidbury

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 07:42:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Bob. Really wish I could buy a complete N gauge kit but looks like its not gonna happen. So time to do a bit more research and crack on with what is possible.
 :thankyousign: :thankyousign:

Bob Austin

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 09:25:21 PM »
N-Drive do a complete kit for a GER tram - http://www.n-driveproductions.com/locomotivekits.htm - about half way down the page.

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 11:21:12 PM »
Really wish I could buy a complete N gauge kit but looks like its not gonna happen. So time to do a bit more research and crack on with what is possible.

I hate to be a spoilsport but I think you are being unrealistic.
Many 3D modellers don't have an interest in supplying chassis. Many Resin modellers ditto. But many design their models to fit proprietary chassis.
Some of the best kits I have made are Parkwood resin kits on Farish chassis. The early LMS/LNER/GWR/SR pre WW2 shunters on the 08 chassis are fantastic models on current high quality chassis. But why should Mr Parkwood (Steven Sears) have to buy a load of 08 chassis just in case?

Some of the best 3D printed kits are designed for current high quality chassis (Derby lightweight DMU, class 128 Parcels Railcar, Flying Banana). Ditto regarding chassis supply.

Why should anyone spend their hard earned making a complete kit for you when 99% of people out there are resourceful and source their own chassis?

I recently had someone write to me (via the NGS Helpline) asking if I knew what had happened to a certain kit manufacturer who stopped coach kit production in 1987? Reason was he had researched the model then, wanted one, but did not buy. 30 years later he went back to his original plans and tried to source the model with no luck.  I had to explain politely that such kits are ephemeral. They come and go, and if you miss them then it really is tough luck.  You cannot expect a kit manufacturer to make enough kits to last a 30 year plus supply chain. It was not good economics then and is definitely not good economics now.

HTH (but I suspect it won't)
Bob

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »
I'm not being unrealistic Bob, I was just asking the questions to confirm what I already suspected.

Well, as I said Bob, I'll have to do a bit more research and see what is available in terms of kits and RTR chassis.
The main reason I was asking about chassis/wheel kits was that I used to build them in OO and O and enjoyed doing so. If I have to stick with RTR chassis then so be it, but I don't relish the idea of using a 2nd hand chassis on my nice new kit built loco body. Also I suspect that some of the chassis recommendations for body kits are compromises in terms of accuracy.

Maybe I'll just stick to wagon kits.

Thanks for your response.

Bob Austin

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
Complete kits including wheels and transfers are available from the NGS; Any from the last 5-10 years include everything apart from tools, paint and glue and they're slowly bringing the older kits up to the same standard.

The biggest problem with locos is that most N Gauge modellers aren't interested in building their own chassis (or in many cases kit built bodies). Those that are switch to 2mm Fine Scale where there's plenty of support and choice of wheels from the 2mm Scale Association.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £200.00
Above Goal: £145.00
Site Currency: GBP
364% 
December Donations

Advertise Here