!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: FXD vs FUD ?  (Read 580 times)

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
FXD vs FUD ?
« on: April 08, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
I'm about to buy my first 3D print model - well second, but this will be delivered first - from Shapeways. It is a Motorail - FGW Conversion kit. There are two material options, FXD or FUD.

My question, is FXD worth paying 40% more than FUD? There's not a lot of raised detail on the prototype, so obtaining a smooth finish shouldn't be too difficult which suggests I should save money and go FUD. But is FXD a more durable/robust material? Does FXD offer any benefit over FUD other than finer detail?
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline 3rdboxcar

• N Gauge Society Number: 25643
    • Awards
Re: FXD vs FUD ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »
FUD and FXD are exactly the same material and produced on the same machines so if there is not much detail i.e. grills then FUD is ok.

Alexander

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:06:21 PM »
Like DCC and electrickery, 3D printing is a black art to me i.e. the Devils' Work, so I might actually gain some nollidge from this thread.
 :thankyousign:

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »
FUD for sure, not worth it for FXD.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:12:41 AM »
Thanks @3rdboxcar , @njee20 , order submitted for FUD using the 10% discount code posted on the Derby Light Weight thread yesterday by @Only Me . :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal