!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bonkle  (Read 2092 times)

Offline violets49

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9715
    • Awards
Bonkle
« on: April 07, 2017, 12:17:25 AM »

Been working on this for a while. Small terminus which is basically an N scale version of a 4mm layout set in North Wales. Bonkle, though is set in darkest Lanarkshire. Bonkle really exists although there's not much to it. It never had a railway although there were plenty in the area. Closest station was at Bonkle Road Newmains but it closed in the thirties. The station building is based on that at Wilsontown. The Signalbox and Water tower are the ones that used to stand at Upper Greenock. The WT was built after much conversation on the CRA forum and drawings supplied by Jim Watt and Jim Pairman. and later published in 'The True Line' The CRA magazine. North Lanarkshire may not have been the prettiest place in Scotland but it was where the money was made for the Railways, the Caley in particular,!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Bonkle
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 05:45:24 AM »
Thanks for the info re Bonkle. Any chance of seeing a track plan please?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:47:58 AM »
nice looking station, like the touch of the grounded van body
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline violets49

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
I'll try to post a trackplan later but its based on a combination of the REAL station at Holywell Town in North Wales and 'Pen-Y-Garn' station on the Rev P.D.Heath's 'Llanfair Valley' layout which appeared in the June 1965 Railway Modeller. In fact, my 4mm layout 'Nebo' is almost a copy of Holywell as the buildings on that layout are based on those at Holywell

Offline violets49

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »

Here is an 'ariel' photo of the layout. sorry its a bit messy as its still under construction.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:04:04 PM »
Thanks for that. I like the way you have slanted and curved the track across the baseboard.

Offline violets49

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
Thank you. I've used that 'diagonal alignment' for the platform ever since seeing it in Rev Heath's article in the June 1965 Modeller. Indeed Nebo was originally intended as direct copy of Pen Y Garn. but in standard gauge, useing Airfix buildings but it didn' quite come out like that. Bonkle is still at the early stages but all of the structures will be scratch built based on buildings in the real Bonkle and from around Wishaw in General. :)

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »
Hi

Good to see another Scottish layout on here and one that's a bit unusual I see coal staithes and bogie bolster wagons will coal iron and steel represnted on your layout as they were essential to Lanarkshire railways

Dave

Offline violets49

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »
Hi Dave.
No coal or steel actually IN Bonkle. The REAL bonkle was a rural oasis in the middle of an industrial wasteland being an estate village for Murdostoun Castle. The coal was deeper around Bonkle than elsewhere in Lanarkshire. As the layout is set in the late fifties -Early sixties, theres not a lot of freight other than a couple of wagons of domestic coal a week so its supposed that Motherwell control will send up empty steel wagons when the yards are full around the steelworks and that the goods agent at Bonkle will seek to get rid of them ASAP! :laugh: Such antics were common on the old, pre-tops railway.

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 08:02:51 PM »
Hi

Having looked at Bonkle it is very rural there was an iron works at Coltness and the concrete works at Newmains so a few wagons from there could turn up also noticed a Minitrix 27 will you run diesels as well?

Have to say i prefer diesel to steam

Dave

Offline violets49

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 12:38:44 AM »
I always run Class 27's  :) No doubt some Class 20's (More correctly for the period, EE Type 1's) as Polmadie used to substitute them for the Fairburn/Riddles 2-6-4Tanks but only during summer as the had no steam heat. I hear tell that there's a class 17 coming from somebody so that may find its way up to Bonkle.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 09:42:34 AM »
I hear tell that there's a class 17 coming from somebody so that may find its way up to Bonkle.

It's the first N gauge model to come from D.J.Models and painted samples should be available to see at the Perth show end June.

Offline violets49

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
Thank you. If its affordable, I may buy one. I may even make it to Perth this year.  :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 10:16:42 AM »
Thank you. If its affordable, I may buy one. I may even make it to Perth this year.  :)

Rails of Sheffield are showing a pre order price of 97.50 but that might have risen by the time bulk supplies arrive in country.

Offline violets49

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
Thank you 97:50 is a bit steep but reasonable by today's standards. I'll check out my friends (Formerly) in Penny Lane. I think one may appear eventually. :)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal