!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Canal Wharf  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Canal Wharf
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
I'm having issues with building up ground level.  I'm working very much to a budget so I have used Mounting Board sheets from The Works which are cheap but good quality.  I was either going to have ground level far to far below rail level with code 80 or slightly above which means that I have had to trim the card away from the rail slightly leaving a gap otherwise it lifts wheels clear of the track - ok with wagons but with locos it's not on.  I think I'm going to have to feed some filler material into the gap to make it loo more realistic and also do some ballasting where the raised ground level is at some points.  I also found that the steps on one of my locos fouled on the raised ground.

I'm going to do some more fettling but have also built up a pair of Ratio coal staithes which will be fixed down once they have been weathered and I am happy with the wharf surface.

Offline idglover

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
This is looking good.

For inlaid track, I have seen 3D printed inlays available. These ones are for 009, but the site says they can do other Peco track types:

http://www.cwrailways.com/009-ng.html

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
Have consulted with some friends at a show and am going to change things around the inset track by cutting away some of the card from the edge and ballasting instead.  This will ease the issue and should be able to be made fairly realistic.  I'm going to put a couple of vehicle crossings into the sidings too before it is finished.  The canal is a little too orange in colour but I am toning it down with addition of various green scenic scatters to represent weeds as the canal is somewhat run down.  There is more scatter to be applied as the ayers of varnish are built up.

The coal stithies come from the Ratio kit and the woodwork is painted a grey green to represent old, poor wood and has been washed in a mix of brown and black acrylic.  Once the final layout of the wharf is settled they will be fixed down and bedded in with appropriate coal and weedy material.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »
Latest progress with the layout.  I have used mounting board and Peco platform edging to raise the ground in the village/station area and put some cheap emulsion on the surface to seal it and to give some impression of what is going where.

In the wharf area I have made up and weathered some Ration coal staithes and have built up some loading platforms from an old Ratio Goods Shed kit (these need painting and weathering) and these items are currently loosely placed on the surface.  I am also building up a Ratio crane kit to include in this area.

The next main task is to modify the raised wharf surface and then to ballast the track with chinchilla sand.  I will build up the green area opposite the station and use trees, scatter and scrub to cover the surface.  I plan some low relief buildings for the village area and have ordered a Ten Commandments corrugated hut for the station shelter. 

More updates later.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 10:04:59 AM »
I've been busy this weekend with a couple of boxes of bits of kits that I have been bequeathed.  One box was full of bits of Peco Engine Shed kits as the previous owner, now sadly deceased, had used them to construct a factory complex.  I needed something to back part of the canal wharf area and decided to join some bits of wall together with some offcuts of roof to make a low relief warehouse.  The pieces have been cemented together, windows and doors fitted and then backed with black card.  Since the photos were taken I have started to put some scenic scatter in front to hide the join and to start the 'run down' effect.  The building needs some serious weathering and I am still contemplating how to achieve that.

I have also painted up a Ten Commandments corrugated shed to make the station shelter.  This has been done with four different colours of Humbrol acrylic and oil based paints with much 'rubbing off' of coats.  I need to tidy up the platform surface to take into account the deformation of the card and the gaps and the surface will need some weathering too.  I have some platform fencing which I can use to edge the rear of the platform.

Ballasting is the next major hurdle.

Offline idglover

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
Clever use of the Peco kit for the factory.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »
The warehouse building now has grass at the base and creepers climbing up onto the roof blocking out the BRITISH part of the signboard.  I need to dirty it up too.  I also wanted to leave the big doors open.  I'm looking at commercial vehicles to add to the scene too.

Offline Moores-ee

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
Really nice. Great progress. I really like the factory as well. Looks really good in low profile.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »
Just started blending the building in with some scatter material.  I tipped the layout on its side and used a trail of PVA glue up the walls and on the roof for the climbing plant.  The material at the base is on brown emulsion paint.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »
Set myself the unenviable task of painting the rails with a rusty colour before doing ballasting.  I forgot what a fiddly job it is.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
I have now ballast the track, having painted the rails with a rusty colour.  Unfortunately I had trouble getting the fine sand I wanted and at a price for a small supply so I sieved some bird sand.  This will be toned down with dilute acrylic paint dripped on from a pipette.

The station has now been set up although i need tomato the platform look properly weathered and overgrown.

I have also built up contours opposite the platform using corrugated card, old packing and newspaper covered with filler.  This has had an initial coat of cheap green emulsion to highlight blemishes before it is properly covered with scenic scatter.

I am currently planning a low relief cafe, shop and some other buildings to back the station area and a canal bridge to cover the area where the canal disappears into the back scene.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »

The station has now been set up although i need tomato the platform look properly weathered and overgrown.

Predictive text syndrome? :D

The layout looks better each time and is really coming to life :thumbsup:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, for tomato read 'to make', I the too fast and inaccurately and then the Mac corrects me incorrectly.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »
Starting to look good.
My only advice.......slow down with the typing !!
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
Ballasting now completed, track runs and the thinner areas have been built up son there are no sleeper ends sticking out - which is one of my pet hates.  I have managed to get hold of some beige acrylic paint which I am going to pep up with a little brown and possibly grey to get a suitable shade of ballast tint.  I have been advised to dilute it 1:1 and use the pipette like I did with the pva glue.  Try typing 'pva' the auto correct comes up with 'pea'.  I'm not sure what "pea glue" is all about.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here