!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bachmann Farish Class 47 Bogies - a plea for help  (Read 910 times)

Offline Black Cloud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14600
    • Awards
Bachmann Farish Class 47 Bogies - a plea for help
« on: March 27, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »
Hi all

I have a Bachmann Farish Class 47 (ref 371-826). It is the two tone green model with full yellow ends. I had it renumbered and weathered some time ago and it has been in store since then. It came as no surprise to find that, having taken it out of store, it has a bad case of split gears. Just to put you fully in the picture this is a DCC ready model. The bogies simply clip off with a little coaxing and the bogie frames are easy to remove, as are the axles. However, the other gears are more tricky to remove although I have achieved that feat too but I am not sure that replacing the gears will be that easy. As most of the gears need replacing I thought that it might prove more cost effective to simply replace the complete bogies so I contacted Bachmann to ask whether I could purchase replacements. Apparently I can buy gear sets for this loco but I was told that the bogies for said model are no longer available; the later (current) Class 47 models apparently have different bogies. Now, here's the thing, I have seen the latest model and didn't notice any discernible difference but I am told that the central bogie tower (the bit that clips onto the chassis) is shorter. Sorry to be so long-winded but my question is: would bogies from the current model fit my loco and, if so, would it adversely affect performance? Any sensible help or advice would be welcomed.

Offline sparky

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Bachmann Farish Class 47 Bogies - a plea for help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 10:28:05 PM »
The bogies are slightly different to the later 47....This batch which also included 47035 and 47404 Hadrian suffered with a slightly high ride height which bachmann corrected on later models..Just had a rummage in my spares box and I have a spare bogie from Hadrian which has a full set of good gears but needs new pick up strips...You are welcome to it to either take the gears or add pick up strips and it will fit your green 47...Pm with your address if you want it

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »
Don't waste money and time on new bogies - the gears on the axles (the only ones that can split) are the same as the older Farish 16 tooth gears, and therefore widely available - BR Lines have them at 90p or so each - *far* cheaper than replacing complete bogies, and far less wasteful.

I've done this on several of the early 47s that seem to suffer from some split gears. Be sure it's not also been oiled with something non-plastics friendly - best to clean out any residual lubricant, regardless of that lubricant's origin.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:27:12 PM »
Don't waste money and time on new bogies - the gears on the axles (the only ones that can split) are the same as the older Farish 16 tooth gears, and therefore widely available - BR Lines have them at 90p or so each - *far* cheaper than replacing complete bogies, and far less wasteful.

I've done this on several of the early 47s that seem to suffer from some split gears. Be sure it's not also been oiled with something non-plastics friendly - best to clean out any residual lubricant, regardless of that lubricant's origin.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks for the Information Alan, I've got another Farish 47 with split gears.. 47535 this time.

I did get a quote from Bob at BRLines of around £20 per bogie but ended up robbing a class 60 of its gears to effect repairs..
I guess I'd better order a bulk from Bob to keep me going.. Also considering getting some of the big cogs for the top of the bogie, where it meets the worm. These tend to get chewed if the loco has ever been run upside down..

Cheers
Mark

Offline Modern N gauge

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »
Hi how did you swap the gears over please

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 06:42:17 PM »
Also considering getting some of the big cogs for the top of the bogie, where it meets the worm. These tend to get chewed if the loco has ever been run upside down..

Cheers
Mark

Do you mean there is a problem for Australians buying these Class 47s? He he

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 07:07:19 PM »
Hi how did you swap the gears over please

I did it like this.. (engineers look away now please!)

1. Remove bogie from Loco
2. Gently remove the bogie side frames ( clips at each end, one larger than the other.)
3. Remove wheelset, they just clip out. note which side has the plastic insulation in the wheel next to the axle, this must be replaced the same way. (Split gears will rotate easily on the axle.)
4. Hold the wheelset and twist the insulated wheel until it comes off.
5. Slide gear off.
6. Gently slide new gear on, ensuring it sits on the "swollen" part of the axle.
7. Place insulated wheel on a hard surface, then push the axle into the wheel, ensuring it is straight.
8. Check back to back gauge of the wheelset, i use a digital vernier gauge but other gauges are available.
9. Refit axle to the bogie ensuring the insulated wheel is on the same side as the other insulated wheels. Take care not to bend the pickups out of shape.
10. Refit bogie.
11. Test run.. all should work..

hope that helps,

Cheers
Mark

Offline Modern N gauge

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 11:18:54 PM »
Thank you very  much for detailed instructions much appreciated.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything