!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Farish Deltic  (Read 22054 times)

Offline BernardTPM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
Re: New Farish Deltic
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2014, 09:26:06 AM »
I have problems with many opinions expressed in the NGS journal, but I do agree with the reviewer of this loco in respect to the day-glo colouring along the bottom. It's way too bright. Here it is alongside the old Poole version (which, oddly enough, I also purchased in England during a trip in 1990):
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
The day-glo nature of the latest version is very evident when compared to the old model.

The difference is prototypical as there were two shades of green used for the Deltic green livery, the brighter (and yellower) green being replaced by a slightly greyer and 'minty' shade. The late Brian Haresnape made mention of this in his article 'Design in 1961 - a Retrospect' in Modern Railways March 1962 "As on the 'Hymek', the livery of the B.R. 'Deltics' makes imaginative use of the green; here again the light green will be replaced by a grey-green colour" and earlier in the article, on the same colour used on 'Hymeks' "the light green band is incorrect in colour and tends to look yellow in strong light. This will be a grey-green shade in future".

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2014, 02:29:08 PM »
I have the blue version (55005) and in terms of running quality it's definitely the best of the mixed bunch of BachFar diesels I picked up in the UK. Runs nice and smoothly, no odd random grinding sounds or vibrations that some of the others emit, and hauls coaches up inclines with relative ease.

Only major downside is the packaging, where the traditional foam inlay has been replaced with a sort of plastic letterbox clamp which I fear will damage something like the horns.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2014, 04:01:49 AM »
I agree it's awful packaging.  I bought and then returned a Pinza because I felt the bogies and wheels were too underscale (full discussion at RMWeb and not to be copied here), but the bogie side frames did look like they had been mis-fit onto the bogies because of compression from the packaging.  The side frame certainly were not level.  I don't know if the packaging was truly the cause of this but I hope they go back to the foam inserts in future.

Matt

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2014, 05:11:03 AM »
Yep, I've had a whinge about the packaging several times. I have damaged my latest models simply trying to carefully prise them out of the box! I mean... look at all the stuff....!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »
Yep, I've had a whinge about the packaging several times.

One of my Deltics has had a bufferhead knocked off as the packing didn't hold it correctly level, so it was pressed against the part that holds the nose ends in place.

Also, many Farish A1s have cracked cylinder blocks due to the packing.....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
I've just had my Deltic out, and it's reminded me that it came with a spare bogie frame (and looking on the internet all the new-tooling Deltics, including the model of the prootype have). I assume this is so that you can cut off the bit that the NEM socket clips to and have a spare if you want to put a coupling back on that end later, but why have they provided this spare frame with the Deltics but (so far as I know) with no other models?

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2015, 01:08:16 AM »
I've just had my Deltic out, and it's reminded me that it came with a spare bogie frame (and looking on the internet all the new-tooling Deltics, including the model of the prootype have). I assume this is so that you can cut off the bit that the NEM socket clips to and have a spare if you want to put a coupling back on that end later, but why have they provided this spare frame with the Deltics but (so far as I know) with no other models?

Hi David

They also provided it with the prototype Delitc and Warship, though not on other locos (esp the 37) that could have done with it!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »
They also provided it with the prototype Delitc and Warship, though not on other locos (esp the 37) that could have done with it!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks - didn't know the warship had it too.

So far as I know the only model where Dapol have done this sort of thing is the Western, which has a complete replacement bogie - the reasoning is more obvious here though as a bogie without a socket is necessary to allow the front valence to be attached.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2017, 11:20:13 PM »
I didn't realise until recently, but it looks like the bogies aren't right for the earlier depictions. Deltics were built with fabricated bogies and later fitted with cast ones. The bogies on the model are cast ones, so are right for the blue one and wrong for the one in original condition. Not sure about the one in between (green with yellow panel) - i.e. when the bogies were replaced relative to repainting into BR blue.

The Farish 37s are all modelled with fabricated bogies (the bogies on 37s and Deltics are visually almost identical) - which again may or may not be correct depending on the model as many of them have at some time or another been fitted with cast bogies.

50s also have the same bogies, but they never had fabricated ones fitted.

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2017, 02:12:42 AM »
Picked up the Pinza version, as the price was too good to pass up.

This is going to be a carbon-copy of the Class 37 post:

Hooked it up to 8 N gauge coaches...of course easy.

Added 11 North American N scale cars...still no problem.

Looks are crisp...beautiful.

Love the directional lighting.

I reserve the right to change my mind later, but right now this is a great model.

This is my second class 55 - I have the DP1, and I'm thrilled with them.

Nothing pulls like Life Like, but otherwise I'd put these up pretty close to Kato and Life Like models I have. I've never like Atlas pulling power.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal