!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: PCB manufacture  (Read 1347 times)

Offline malc-c

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
PCB manufacture
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »
Guys,

Just wanted to let you know of a really good cheap and fast prototyping PCB manufacturer I've just used them to have some boards made and was stunned at the quality, speed and price that I thought it worth letting you guys know if you want your own projects made into PCBs but can't afford UK prices

I designed the layout using Diptrace, then uploaded the gerber files to PCBway's web site https://www.pcbway.com/ - you enter details of the board, layers etc and then get a live calculation.  I had 50 small relay boards made for $29.  It took less than a week to have them made, and shipped by DHL to the door.  OK DHL sting you with duty, but even after that the boards worked out a fraction of the cost a UK company quoted !!

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: PCB manufacture
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:47:59 PM »
That's an amazing price. Any chance of a photo to see how much pcb you got for your money?
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline mikeTT

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:57:48 PM »
A lot of MERG members use iTead at around 20 USD plus postage for 10 boards 10cm x 10cm - works out at about 20 when it hits your credit card. Another MERG member has just reported Seeed studio is even better value, allows panellisation (fitting several identical small boards onto a larger board with V grooves between) ( it still only costs the price of the larger board) and has an on -site Gerber viewer to check your designs before committing to order.

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:16:03 PM »
The boards are 4cm x 6cm - single layer, solder mask both sides, top silk screen - 50 off

In reality the boards look a lot better than the image

The minimum quantity is 5 boards.  I've had the odd board made by other PCB houses for other projects (reptile thermostat), but turnaround was slower (I guess they group small orders together to fill up a panel which delays things), or the finish of the boards looked very amateurish (olimex in eastern Europe).  But now I've used PCBWay I'll be going back to them as I develop my electronics projects....

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »
Very nice. I've always used strip board. I never realised you could get pcbs done so cheaply. Bookmarked this thread for future reference.
 :thankyousign:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:35:29 PM »
Hi Bob,

Postage and duty can bump the price up, but if you are not in a hurry, they do offer alternatives to DHL.  The build time is 2-3 days, the shipping 3-4 days.

Worked out cheaper than buying stripboard from a well know retail outlet... (I always use genuine vero board - the cheap stuff of e-bay never seems to solder well)

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:43:11 PM »
I'm sure I'll end up not needing the full 50, so if anyone wants a board or two then drop me a PM.  I'm going to use them to switch the frog on turnouts from one side of the relay, and route indication from the other side.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:20:06 PM »
They look very professional.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Rabs

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 03:54:24 PM »
I've used elecrow before and they have always been very quick and reliable:
https://www.elecrow.com/pcb-prototyping.html

And I've heard a lot of talk about Seeedstudio:
https://www.seeedstudio.com/fusion_pcb.html

If people are looking to shop around!

Offline Steve.T

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23237
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »
Looks very professional, I currently make my own, when I can be bothered. Really didn't realize you could get them so cheap professionally made.
 I think I will now get rid of the dip tank and chemicals.
Not really worth the effort and hassle  :thumbsup: :beers:

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 02:12:10 AM »
Finally tried PCBway for a simple board.
Turned out nice and very cheap (about A$2 / board).  Will use again.

Apparently if I spruik their services online I can get up to US$50 off next order.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »
Nice looking boards, and its nice to hear that someone followed my recommendation and is pleased with the outcome.  Any reason why you didn't opt for a solder mask on the top layer to give it that dark green look ?

I too like their reward scheme. It's nice that you can receive a coupon against a future order by placing a link to a review of the boards, which would have been posted anyway as we all like to show other folk what we are making.

Offline NinOz

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 12:01:58 PM »
Any reason why you didn't opt for a solder mask on the top layer to give it that dark green look ?
Didn't think of it.  :dunce:
Also forgot to turn on the top value layer.  Had previously turned off all except the trace and pad bottom layers for home brewing of test PCBs. :doh:

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline NinOz

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »
Any reason why you didn't opt for a solder mask on the top layer to give it that dark green look ?
Doing a couple of more single sided boards (a two sensor and a four sensor current detection circuits) and want to have the dark green on the top.
Looks like I could specify two ways to do a green top for a single sided board;
Select solder mask for top and bottom on options at  PCB way web site quote page and
1.  Don't include gerber file for top solder mask
2. Include a gerber file for a blank top solder mask.

Which option do people use?

CFJ

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »
All my boards are solder masked top and bottom, but then I have tracks on top and bottom layers so a solder mask is generated automatically.

Looking at their website, if you select a single layer board you then have the option to select if the copper layer is to be on the top or bottom, solder mask for top, bottom. both or none, and the same for the silk screen (top bottom both or none)

I would have your PCB design software output gerbers for all layers, and then select these options on their website when uploading the zipped up files.  There is also an option to add comments / instructions on the on-line quote section to explain what it is your want  and if there is an issue the can sort it their end before committing  the boards for production.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal