New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Southern Railway Locomotive Kits  (Read 697 times)

Offline JohnnyMcCoyT9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26859
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Southern Railway Locomotive Kits
« on: March 05, 2017, 10:01:17 PM »
Hi all,

I am presently looking for some projects to keep me busy over the next few months. I am looking for body kits for locomotives which will fit either over a new style GF Fowler 4F chassis or over an old GF J94 chassis (The Coal Board one!). I am not bothered by what locomotive it is, I would just like something that would fit in with Southern railways or the BR Southern Region. Would anybody be able to suggest any kits and where I may be able to get a hold of them? I hope this isn't too vague a request!

Have a lovely evening :)

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Re: Southern Railway Locomotive Kits
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »
Langley do ex LBSC E2 0-6-0T and E5 0-6-2T, and Bulleid Q1 all fit Farish Pannier as far as I remember, Lytchet Manor do the Z class 0-8-0T, fits Farish 8F, BHE do the N15, but it looks dreadful on the old Poole Black 5 chassis, slightly better on a Duchess, might be able to hack it about a bit to fit a Scot or Jubilee, I've done a couple on the old Peco Jubilee. Langley aslo do the Urie S15 but that is intended for a Fleischmann chassis which ain't cheap unless you find one on Ebay. The Q1 is also available as RTR from Dapol so probably a better choice.

N Brass do a G6 0-6-0T, C class 0-6-0 and L class 4-4-0.

Keep an eye on Ebay very occasionally one of the old Hughes kits for the Q class appears.

Some of the Langley BR standards could be used on a Southern Region layout.

If you're feeling brave you could try hacking a Farish Scot into a Nelson, also if you can find a suitable 4-6-0 chassis with scale 6' drivers then the Langley S15 makes a convincing H15 (Minitrix do a suitable chassis, but again not cheap and like hens teeth on Ebay)

Away from Kits, the Union Mills T9, 700 and 0395 locos are all "valid" for BR (S). The Dapol M7 can be hacked into a T1 using some of the bits from an N brass G6 and shortening the bogie wheelbase.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:55:34 PM by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:03:50 PM »
Mike has given you chapter and verse.
I don't think there are suitable kits for what you have.

Best to sell on EBay and use funds to buy a kit. You can get the Farish 94xx pannier for reasonable money on EBay and that goes under the E2, for example. See my thread on the E2 here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36060.msg422697#msg422697

HTH
Bob

Offline JohnnyMcCoyT9

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:58:09 PM »
Once again I am stunned by such complete responses, you guys really know your stuff! :D Thankyou Mike for such a good list, you should be earning commission for that  ;)

Its a shame that the two chassis I wanted to find an alternative use for haven't got a use. However I have got an old pannier which has the correct chassis for an E2. I did a bit of reading of your post Bob and I think that may be a good little model to start with. So I now have one on order :) I don't suppose you have a photo of your model complete and painted?

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »
I've had a bit of a slowdown on completing projects lately.
But here is one that Ozimandias did and sold on EBay for about 95 in January, which inspired me to start mine.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=47133

His one is in fact incorrectly numbered - the E2s of the straight tank design were numbered 2100-2104. When the tanks were extended for the second batch (a la Thomas the Tank) they were numbered 2105-2109. Only real SR aficionados would know that!
Mine has had added pipework on the tank top as it is going to be BR black late crest livery 32104, one of the last to operate in Southampton Docks: see http://www.semgonline.com/steam/e2_class.html for a pic of 32104 in my preferred livery, plus a few other gems. If you are doing SR livery then the tank as supplied by Langley is OK as is.

Regards
Bob

Offline JohnnyMcCoyT9

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »
Oh that is smart! Shame about the number, not one for the rivet counters.

Like you I plan to paint mine in BR Late Crest however I am undecided on the number, mine is going to have gone a little AWOL to do a little shunting and deliver small freight to my line. As for the piping, I have some leftover brass wire so I should be able to do the piping. Thankyou for pointing out that detail.

Thanks Bob, that is all really interesting and useful. I'm sure I will post my progress back here or on my workshop post at some time or another.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £130.00
Above Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
236% 
December Donations

Advertise Here