New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 'New generation' mk1 Farish Coach - roof removal?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
'New generation' mk1 Farish Coach - roof removal?
« on: January 29, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
Please can someone advise on removing the roof of one of the latest generation Farish Mk1 carriages, the ones with the wire detailing between roof and carriage end. I've tried prising up gently like I do on the earlier Farish but nothing seems to move and I don't want any damage. There are loose parts rattling around inside.
Kind regards from Fred

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: 'New generation' mk1 Farish Coach - roof removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »
Not done this - not needed to - but I suspect the roof is part of the sides and ends because the roof end moulding is so fine. Try taking the chassis off instead.

HTH
Bob

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
Thanks Bob you your advice gave the correct procedure. On 'new design' Farish Mk1 coachesthe dissassembly is to remove the chassis, these are on long legs that clip into the lower window section internally. The innards then simply come out with a little tweaking. The roof is actually a separate plastic moulding to that of the coach body however Farish glue all the windows in place and glue the roof before installing the interior and clipping the chassis in place. I bought mine as 'without chassis' as the seller has used the chassis for another build project. I had a spare grafar MK1 chassis with later bogies/wheels in my bits box. I thought i'd add the photo in case anybody is adding lighting and might want to see the 'how to' Tech boffins might notice that Bachmann have included two seats at the left of the photo by the corridor door where thaer should only be one. (PS i'm still hunting for an early China smooth glazed RU in Crimson / Cream; I'm beginning to think they dont exist)
Kind regards from Fred

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »
Farish only made one Mk1 Crimson & Cream RU - reference 374-120.
Looking at pics of it, it does not look smooth glazed so I think you're out of luck, Fred.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply about the Farish Restaurant Car RU.
What puzzles me is that I have the Farish RFO in smooth flush finish from the early days of Bachmann buying Farish and made in China, I have the RFO's (without interiors) in Maroon; Chocolate/Cream and Cream/Crimson, for an RFO to exist it needs the RU's kitchen. I have the Chocolate/Cream RU 374-117 whose box dates it to Nov 25th 2005 (without interior), i would have expected Bachmann Farish also to have sold it in Crimson/Cream and Maroon versions at the same period. I'm just trying to keep an authentic rake for which the earlier photo I gave today of the latest model RU Maroon with its embossed detail just doesn't match the smoothglaze.
(For anybody else reading this, Ive done interiors to fill the empty voids for the RFO's and RU for which there are individual detail posts here on the forum).
Kind regards From Fred

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 06:29:04 PM »
Nobby is right. There is only a Blue Riband RU in crimson/cream.

The RU coaches were built in 1957 and 1958, and its hard to see how they can carry  the 1950 - 1956 crimson/cream livery legitimately, which was replaced by maroon, and the regional colours green and chocolate/cream when BR changed liveries in 1956. Farish has made a Blue Riband one in crimson/cream, no W1900, the first one built, so that may possibly have carried crimson/cream for a few weeks/months, perhaps. Similarly the RMB were built between 1957 and 1962, so you wont see those in crimson/cream either.

RFOs were built much earlier, in 1951, so would have carried crimson/cream initially. They were designed to run with kitchen cars and initially these could have been provided by the catering cars from the big four. There were only 11 RFOs built in total.

There is a real dearth of Big-4 designed buffet cars and restaurant cars, with the one exception of the Dapol Gresley buffet, which was long lived, was rebuilt in the blue/grey era, and then travelled farther afield than just the LNER. Catering vehicles don't sell so well as ordinary coaches in any case, and so Big four catering cars will sell only about 25% of the sales of BR  ones, based on potential market size, as folk will tend to only go for their own region's catering cars. When the Dapol Gresley buffet first came out it was 36, when the other coaches were about 16, as Dapol needed to pay for the moulds from far fewer expected sales.

HTH
Bob

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 10:46:22 PM »
Nobby is right. There is only a Blue Riband RU in crimson/cream.

The RU coaches were built in 1957 and 1958, and its hard to see how they can carry  the 1950 - 1956 crimson/cream livery legitimately, which was replaced by maroon, and the regional colours green and chocolate/cream when BR changed liveries in 1956. Farish has made a Blue Riband one in crimson/cream, no W1900, the first one built, so that may possibly have carried crimson/cream for a few weeks/months, perhaps. Similarly the RMB were built between 1957 and 1962, so you wont see those in crimson/cream either.

RFOs were built much earlier, in 1951, so would have carried crimson/cream initially. They were designed to run with kitchen cars and initially these could have been provided by the catering cars from the big four. There were only 11 RFOs built in total.

There is a real dearth of Big-4 designed buffet cars and restaurant cars, with the one exception of the Dapol Gresley buffet, which was long lived, was rebuilt in the blue/grey era, and then travelled farther afield than just the LNER. Catering vehicles don't sell so well as ordinary coaches in any case, and so Big four catering cars will sell only about 25% of the sales of BR  ones, based on potential market size, as folk will tend to only go for their own region's catering cars. When the Dapol Gresley buffet first came out it was 36, when the other coaches were about 16, as Dapol needed to pay for the moulds from far fewer expected sales.

HTH
Bob

Do you know if any RU's were on the Western region? and did any get painted in chocolate and cream?

Regards,

Alex

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 06:25:32 AM »

Do you know if any RU's were on the Western region? and did any get painted in chocolate and cream?

Regards,

Alex

@Hailstone

If it's an answer to your question Farish produced the following Mk1 RUs for the WR:-

374-116A Maroon running number W1915
374-121 Maroon running number W1917
374-117 Choc/Cream running number W1902
374-117A Choc/Cream running number W1919

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:54:28 PM »
thanks Mick, but the chocolate and cream ones are the old type, I have one of them, but Farish have not released a blue riband one in this livery

Regards,

Alex

Online ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
Farish have not released a blue riband one in this livery

Regards,

Alex

One can only hope they'll get around to it eventually, otherwise my RFO will have to rely on an RMB.   :(

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here