Reversing

Started by PeteW, February 07, 2017, 05:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

That Leader was a nightmare, apparently. Crews called it the Bleeder! The fireman was working in  impossibly cramped quarters in the middle of the beast, I think.

Would make an interesting model though.... if any member has done one, please let us know..... but in a separate thread, please!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

mr bachmann

Quote from: weave on February 08, 2017, 12:43:14 AM
Hi,

I've probably got this totally wrong, mainly because I model European and have seen too many American films with trains in, but I thought the cab end was the front end (for diesels) so the photos are the wrong way round.

I will stand in the corner for the rest of the lesson when shot down in flames.

Cheers weave  :beers:

a lot of USA diesels have a 'F' on one end of the loco this is front of loco , in early days this was long hood end .

dodger

Hi,

I've probably got this totally wrong, mainly because I model European and have seen too many American films with trains in, but I thought the cab end was the front end (for diesels) so the photos are the wrong way round.

On diesel shunters if the forwards direction is selected it moves radiator leading, for cab leading the reverse direction is selected.

Dodger

johnlambert

Quote from: mr bachmann on February 08, 2017, 02:14:59 PM
Hi,

a lot of USA diesels have a 'F' on one end of the loco this is front of loco , in early days this was long hood end .

I noticed that the new Class 68s have '1' and '2' on the cab doors at opposite ends, presumably to make it easy to identify each end.

Newportnobby

Hi,

Did the drivers' boots have 'L' and 'R' on them? :-X

JayM481

Quote from: newportnobby on February 08, 2017, 07:27:40 PM
Hi,

Did the drivers' boots have 'L' and 'R' on them? :-X

They are not "drivers!" They are "engineers" doncha know?   :P :angel:

TheEdge

Quote from: johnlambert on February 08, 2017, 07:05:24 PM
Hi,

I noticed that the new Class 68s have '1' and '2' on the cab doors at opposite ends, presumably to make it easy to identify each end.

It is, there are a few different ways of doing it. The number on the cab door seems the modern way, a lot of locos also have it on the inside of the cab somewhere. The 90s I drive have a panel above the windscreen on the inside with for example "90003, Max Speed 110mph, Number 2 end". It helps with identifying lots of things, like faults, as soon as you say the brakes on the number 1 bogie are dragging then everyone knows what you are talking about.

Newportnobby

Puts a whole new meaning to "I'm having trouble with my Number 2 end" ;D

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

scottishlocos

PeteW

If need inspiration have a look and the original and current Fort William station the original had no run round and only a couple of points so trains would have to reverse or be shunt released this station lasted into the early diesel era!

The new station is more functional with a loop for trains to run round and a couple of sidings so stock can stable the sleeper train sits here during the day when i did the sleeper the train went right up to buffers and after a while reversed back to run round then reversed into siding this all done by driver and groundcrew with radios

dodger

The last use of the Wallingford Branch in BR days was a freight train 2-4 times a week. At the Wallingford end the branch was truncated with just 2 sidings.

Therefore the method of work was to propel the train to Wallingford, shunt the full wagons into position and return pulling the train. A specially converted brake van with a brake valve on the Wallingford facing veranda so that the guard could apply the brake and return the loco to idling in order to stop the train in emergency. All locos lost traction power when the brake was applied.

I understand similar arrangements were used on freight only branches in other locations.

Dodger

Newportnobby

Quote from: dodger on February 09, 2017, 02:47:09 PM
A specially converted brake van with a brake valve on the Wallingford facing veranda so that the guard could apply the brake and return the loco to idling in order to stop the train in emergency. All locos lost traction power when the brake was applied.

Just as well we can only pretend that happens on our models or we'd end up with wagons concertina'ed all over the place! :confused1:

PeteW

@scottishlocos: thanks for that; I'll see what Google turns up on Fort William.
@dodger: again, thanks for the info. Gives me something else to look for (turning into a proper education, this rail modelling). I do know Wallingford, if it's the one on the Thames. Nice place.

I've been slowly getting to grips with SCARM, messing about with trackplans and trying to incorporate my newly-discovered elements of run around loops and shunting sidings. When I summon up the courage I'll post something in the planning sub-forum.

dodger

Quote from: PeteW on February 10, 2017, 04:22:39 PM
@scottishlocos: thanks for that; I'll see what Google turns up on Fort William.
@dodger: again, thanks for the info. Gives me something else to look for (turning into a proper education, this rail modelling). I do know Wallingford, if it's the one on the Thames. Nice place.

I've been slowly getting to grips with SCARM, messing about with trackplans and trying to incorporate my newly-discovered elements of run around loops and shunting sidings. When I summon up the courage I'll post something in the planning sub-forum.
You've got the right place!

Dodger

JayM481

Quote from: newportnobby on February 09, 2017, 10:09:01 AM
Puts a whole new meaning to "I'm having trouble with my Number 2 end" ;D

That's the end without the bell, right?

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP