!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DJ Models researching King Class steam locomotive  (Read 21358 times)

Offline NinOz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
Re: DJ Models researching King Class steam locomotive
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2018, 02:55:56 AM »
Appropriate coloured paints will be supplied with each loco.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2018, 06:02:38 PM »
If you don't already know DJ has issued a newsletter saying he needs another 100 or so orders to get the tooling underway. So time to get your wallets out. :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2018, 06:08:56 PM »
Dave has prepared a newsletter and given those who have paid first stage and expressed interest a heads up in advance of a web update at the weekend.

there is lots of good information, but as Bob says the salient points are the 100 orders still needed, also the mechanism looks pucker.  :thumbsup:

Offline 1936ace

• N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2018, 08:34:14 PM »
What heads up prior to the weekend. I have paid for my king but have received no info

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
Dave is sorting out his mailshot file and he may be doing it in batches.

Drop him an email and ask him to make sure you are on it.

I could be he has only done the UK ones so far, it came in during early evening today.

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2018, 08:59:04 PM »
I got the e-mail with the newsletter overnight, but then I paid the deposit via the new web site... perhaps you paid your deposit earlier?
Still planning a layout...

Offline 1936ace

• N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »
Hey mate. I paid after you did and also via the new website. Hopefully it's in the "mail"

Offline Hyperion

• G'day
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2018, 01:04:18 AM »
So close yet so far. Hopefully this will get a few of those that expressed interest to put down an order and deposit.
DC or DCC, that is the question.

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2018, 02:26:38 AM »
Close to what, though? If I recall the numbers correctly, this project required 1000 units to make it viable and at last count DJM had firm orders for 300. So I assume the 100 extra orders are what's required to fund the next project stage, but are well short of what's required to fund the project to completion. 

Online Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: October 17, 2018, 04:44:07 AM »
Close to what, though? If I recall the numbers correctly, this project required 1000 units to make it viable and at last count DJM had firm orders for 300. So I assume the 100 extra orders are what's required to fund the next project stage, but are well short of what's required to fund the project to completion.
If we are at say 300 and at 400 we get to tooling, what happens if the additional say 600 do not materialize? Is this the crowdfunding risk, weíve paid to tooling but no funds for production? Surely not. Hopefully Dave will have sufficient funds with the required extra 100 to complete the project albeit with little slack.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: October 17, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
Nah, tooling is make or break. If you tool it you deliver it, barring disaster. Itís not that there are thresholds required at each stage.

Online Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2018, 06:36:01 AM »
Nah, tooling is make or break. If you tool it you deliver it, barring disaster. Itís not that there are thresholds required at each stage.

Thanks for that.  What I was thinking but wanted an "expert's" input  :)

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2018, 08:07:40 PM »
Only 300 confirmed orders for the King and yet only 100 short of pressing the "go" button? Based on everything Ben and Mike have told us about viable production batch size I would be pretty confident Dave wouldn't even contemplate tooling based on those numbers.

Very surprising indeed if the take-up of a really iconic steam loco such as the King is that slow and compared to that the failed RevolutioN 21/29 project appears to have done comparatively well!

Maybe there has been a miisinterpretation somewhere. I feel pretty confident even Nobby's wishlist 6-6-4 Isle of Scilly tank loco would do better than that!

Roy

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2018, 08:12:59 PM »
Only 300 confirmed orders for the King and yet only 100 short of pressing the "go" button? Based on everything Ben and Mike have told us about viable production batch size I would be pretty confident Dave wouldn't even contemplate tooling based on those numbers.

Very surprising indeed if the take-up of a really iconic steam loco such as the King is that slow and compared to that the failed RevolutioN 21/29 project appears to have done comparatively well!

Maybe there has been a miisinterpretation somewhere. I feel pretty confident even Nobby's wishlist 6-6-4 Isle of Scilly tank loco would do better than that!

Roy

Be careful of magicking up numbers.  There is no mention of 300 from DJ - this has been guessed by someone else and adopted as fact.

The project requires (required a few days ago) 100 more orders to proceed as a project (not any sub stage).

So its time for us to dig deep if we want it to succeed.

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2018, 08:19:06 PM »
yet only 100 short of pressing the "go" button? Based on everything Ben and Mike have told us about viable production batch size I would be pretty confident Dave wouldn't even contemplate tooling based on those numbers.

Roy

Hi Roy,

The original 'expressions of interest' were such that the King would have 'waltzed' into tooling and production. Although they did take a fair while to come in.

However, this time round, although take up is at the same speed as the original 'expressions' with the same tale off, i would have hoped for better as tangible milestones have been reached recently.

Meanwhile, i will throw what little money i have spare into the pot to push the model through once i get the 100 models ordered (7 last night alone, which helps) I really want this model out there for many many reasons, some documented here, so need to do something as i know it will sell, and eventually sell well. It's just we are going through the lull before the storm, sales wise as we did first time around.

More adverts are booked for the APT and the King in the coming months, and at least 1 editorial is planned for the King.

Hope this helps, clarify a few things.
Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything