!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: LUGSDALE ROAD - LMS  (Read 31059 times)

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
Re: LUGSDALE ROAD - LMS
« Reply #840 on: April 14, 2019, 09:25:16 PM »
I HATE LINING WHY WHY WHY DO IT TRY TO DO IT  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Perhaps you are you a masochist?

I think I might be :(

You do it because you know it's the right thing to do!

8)
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #841 on: April 19, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
Ive just got back with the DO from deep inside GWR land, and its a scary place  :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #842 on: April 20, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
We have not long been back from a brilliant little break in North Yorkshire, and as you know I am a little angel  :angel:, and because I have been such a good boy the Domestic Overlord bought me the following.

As an LMS modeller you can never really have enough passenger stock, but in the period I model things where not as clean as new out of the box models appear. This is good for me as I like to apply a little weathering to any stock I have in the collection.

My methods for doing this are nothing special and I'm sure many of you out there know how to do it, and can probably do it a lot better than me, but I thought if anyone was interested I woud put a few details on here.

None of my weathering is done with an Airbrush for two reasons, one I dont have one, and two the Domestic Overlord knowing what disaters I could get up to with one has banned me from having one (well for now anyway :))

So this is how I set about starting to at least to my eyes improve the level of detail to a couple of 1st class carrages, fresh out of the box they looked like this.

I know prices for these coaches seem to be constantly rising so I know many of you must think Im mad, but I think with a little effort you can take these to a new level.

The first thing I like to tackle is the roofs of my passenger stock, after all most of us view our trains from the top down so its good to me a least to add a little variety to a rake. With the Stanier coaches the roofs are made up of "ribbed" sections, studying prototype photos and the real things on the SVR you notice that these ribs seem darker than the rest of the roof.

So to replicate this, I fist take some black paint and paint along these "ribs" for this my shaky hands do not present a problem as I dont really want a uniformed look. What I am for is a "zebra" finish on each coach, some of the ribs are painted wide than others and some are not completely painted.

Once the ribs have dried, its on to the next stage (trust me it hides most of the damage). I Then chose the coulor I want the roof to be predominatley, once decided I thn the paint down so that I can apply a couple of coats. The idea is that the paint is thin enough to cover the painted "stripey ribs" but still allows the darker rib coulour to be seen.

After a couple of coats you should get the finish that you are happy with, if not you can always paint the roof with a uniform colour and start again. If you are happy with the results you should end up with something like the following which for these two coaches suited me.

The next stages is to sort out the undeframes and then apply a little dirt to the door frames and coach ends. If I have not bored you all to death already and if anyone is interested I will post details of how I do this as the coaches progress through the paintshops.

Id love a full how to if you have time

Be carful what you wish for, I have picked up four more coaches and they have already started to pass through the paint shops :)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #843 on: April 20, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »
Well next to the chair I sit in as part of my rehabilitation there is a handy shelf which has become the home for a few of the projects I have slowly been working on.

Just looking across as it to my eyes its been looking a little like Crewe, I think I may have a problem or I will have when the Domestic Overlord notices my addition to the rooms interior design  :-[ :-[

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything