!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hunslet Industrial Shunter from the NGS  (Read 62454 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Hunslet Industrial Shunter from the NGS
« Reply #570 on: November 02, 2019, 10:42:49 AM »
24V and 36V input for an N scale loco?  :o
Can only sit in disbelief. ???

Now that's testing!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #571 on: November 02, 2019, 11:07:32 AM »

That's pretty much testing to the max if not actually to destruction.   Generally I believe DCC decoders are expected to withstand around 35V at the inputs even though the normal track voltage for smaller scales is  more like 15V.   

G scale DCC is often around 24V track voltage, and whilst you wouldn't expect a small scale decoder to be able to power a G scale loco, it could possibly still be used for an animation or for other uses which don't require much current.   I've used "High Power" HO scale decoders (capable of 2 amps continuous) in a couple of my smallest G Scale locos  as they do the job for less money than a decoder intended for large scales.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline jthjth

• Awards
« Reply #572 on: November 02, 2019, 12:24:36 PM »
You would be surprised. The Bachmann/Farish analogue trainset controller gives around 22v at full throttle when lightly loaded. So we have to ensure that the shunter won’t go bang if someone decides to use that. The NMRA specifications allow the DCC track voltage to go up to 24v, although they recommend lower for N. But someone somewhere is bound to try it, so we have to make sure we can meet the specification. With a 24v square wave being applied to wiring and track (ie inductors) it is possible to get overshoots, or ringing, on the edges, so there is the possibility of going above 24v, even if only for a short time. Hence the 36v test to ensure that spikes won’t kill the semiconductors. With this being the first NGS RTR loco, and having an integrated decoder, it would be “a bad thing” if the decoders easily blow up. That’s not to say that people won’t discover unusual ways of mistreating the electronics, but at least we’ve tried our best to cover reasonable use cases. But please, heed Ben’s warnings and use a decent controller that has a maximum output of between 12 and 15v. Beyond 15v things get hotter and therefore stressed. This is bound to reduce component lifetime.

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #573 on: November 02, 2019, 02:58:38 PM »
That’s one reason I changed to a Morley controller ,as it is pretty good  for old N gauge and safe for the newer coreless  motors  in the modern locos ,though I do miss my old E C M  Compspeed controllers ,which compensated for some voltage drops due to very old trackwork .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:07:02 AM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #574 on: November 04, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »
As Julian says you'd be surprised at some of the peaks that some (even well known) controllers put out (both in terms of max voltage and momentary spikes).

Online Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Awards
« Reply #575 on: December 30, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
http://newweb.ngaugesociety.com/?p=2455

Not long now....hopefully  ;)

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Hunslet Industrial Shunter from the NGS - delivery update
« Reply #576 on: December 31, 2019, 12:58:44 PM »
from NGS.IO

Re: Latest on Hunslet DH Locomotives #ngsrtr #ShopNews
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 10:06:32 GMT
The following is ported from the NGS Website:

"The following Hunslet Production Update from the Treasurer will appear in the newsletter accompanying journal 1/20:

In writing this just prior to Christmas, I am finally pleased to say that we reached a major milestone on December 9th with confirmation that the entire run of the all important PCB’s was complete and ready to be shipped. This now paves the way to push on with final assembly, packing and distribution once the PCB’s have reached the factory in Hong Kong. This delivery of the PCB’s to Hong Kong is anticipated to be before Christmas and will then need to have a final set of tests to be done by the Factory to ensure the “100% right” requirements are met before we give the green light to finally start the assembly process.

Given the prolonged timing of the PCB production, it is now unlikely that the Factory will complete all that they need to do prior to the Chinese New Year at the end of January/early February, which is a 15 day holiday. We do hope that production completion and shipment will happen soon after this but I am not going to give dates here given past experience, but as soon as we have the shipping date you will all know through the various channels we use for updating our Members including the Journal, Facebook, Website and the ngs.io group.

Whilst there have been production delays this has allowed the committee to organise an efficient distribution process that will ensure all pre-orders are shipped as soon as possible after balances are paid and there are a number of people involved in the process to ensure you get your models quickly. Indeed, I am one of those people myself and am busy sorting my own “railway room” out over Christmas and New Year so that I am good to go to ship once the numerous boxes of Hunslets arrive with me. Similar activities are also going on with a number of other volunteers too so we will all do everything we can to ship quickly.

Finally it was good to meet a number of you at the Warley Show at the NEC last month to talk about the Hunslets and also confirm the view that there will be a strong demand for this model after the pre-orders are complete, so when the general membership selling starts, please get your orders in quickly!."

Best

Scott
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #577 on: March 19, 2020, 05:45:17 PM »
Some further (good) news regarding the NGS Hunslet DH Shunter:

"The production assembly run has started on the Hunslets and we are now expecting the shipment to be made in May of this year.

Hopefully when the shipment arrives we will be able to execute our Distribution processes effectively once our Members have paid the balances and as long as the parcel services we will rely on are functioning correctly."

Best

Scott
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you you’re wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally don’t know why I’m anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Capri_sam

• Awards
« Reply #578 on: March 19, 2020, 06:23:50 PM »
Some further (good) news regarding the NGS Hunslet DH Shunter:

"The production assembly run has started on the Hunslets and we are now expecting the shipment to be made in May of this year.

Hopefully when the shipment arrives we will be able to execute our Distribution processes effectively once our Members have paid the balances and as long as the parcel services we will rely on are functioning correctly."

Best

Scott

Great news! Both for us and the workers in China who've had a heck of a time of it the last couple of months. I hope they're as pleased to be back to normality as we'll hopefully be in a few weeks.

Offline honestjudge

• N Gauge Society Number: 16285
    • Awards
« Reply #579 on: March 19, 2020, 07:32:12 PM »
Good news indeed amongst all the current gloom :laugh:

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #580 on: March 20, 2020, 08:13:36 AM »
Indeed & hopefully this means China has got through the worst of it?

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #581 on: March 20, 2020, 08:22:52 AM »
I think that using the production of N gauge locomotives as an indicator may be stretching things a bit!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #582 on: March 20, 2020, 03:48:18 PM »
Has anyone thought about the issue of whether people will be happy to receive boxes from China any time soon?

And what about the NGS volunteers handling and despatching them?

Not making mischief - serious questions.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #583 on: March 20, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »
Viruses dont survive long outside a host. Unless they mutate into aliens en route to the UK in the shipping container.

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #584 on: March 20, 2020, 03:54:36 PM »
Has anyone thought about the issue of whether people will be happy to receive boxes from China any time soon?

And what about the NGS volunteers handling and despatching them?

Not making mischief - serious questions.

Boxes from China will have been packed more than 72 hours before unpacking after delivery so the contents should not be a problem. 

However the outside of cartons may have been coughed on by the local truck driver who delivers it to the NGS.

Best handled carefully.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal