!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hunslet Industrial Shunter from the NGS  (Read 62452 times)

Offline Capri_sam

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Hunslet Industrial Shunter from the NGS
« Reply #555 on: November 01, 2019, 06:54:08 AM »
We've got your back, Ben! This loco is a huge leap forward for the hobby in terms of miniaturisation and on-board technology, and opens up an entire world of modelling possibilities in N. When charting new territory it's worth taking your time to do it right; and an already superb new loco is only getting better with these changes. Worth waiting for I reckon!

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #556 on: November 01, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
In the interests of openness about the project, since the last update was published on the website further information has been received that suggests the models are not likely to be in the UK before mid-december.

In view of this, and in view of Society staffing issues and associated postal issues that both crop up over the festive period,  outstanding balances won't be requested until after the New Year. Ditto, obviously, distribution of pre-orders.*

Best

Scott

*Assuming the models do indeed arrive in December.
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #557 on: November 01, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »
This is going to be such an awesome model, I don't care if it's not available until next year!

Kudos to ALL involved.  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #558 on: November 01, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
I think it was a bold but absolutely correct decision to build in an integral DCC PCB with stay alive into this loco at the design stage, and although delays can be disappointing from a consumer perspective getting something so new "right" is absolutely vital. Having seen how good the loco looks, it is great to know that when it does arrive it will perform every bit as well.

The other thing to consider is that this loco is (as far as I am aware) a trail-blazer for the miniaturised DCC and stay alive technology and having ironed out the snags here the CT Electronik circuit board opens up a whole new range of possibilities for reliable running in small DCC capable locos be they NGS produced or otherwise.

Roy

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #559 on: November 01, 2019, 02:14:51 PM »
i hope farish are going to use similar technology in their 03, 04, 08, 14 etc. as stay alives in n gauge could be a game changer in encouraging shunting layouts i think

and ngs could maybe look into making a small ndustrial steam loco next!

tim

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #560 on: November 01, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »
i hope farish are going to use similar technology in their 03, 04, 08, 14 etc. as stay alives in n gauge could be a game changer in encouraging shunting layouts i think

tim

All we need next is ddc uncoupling built into the loco  :thumbsup:  :o

Craig

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #561 on: November 01, 2019, 02:57:30 PM »

tim

Personally I think that is a great idea, but I think the NGS viewed the Hunslet as a one-off as far as RTR is concerned? If not, I would look no further that the J94/18 inch Austerity as a great companion for it.

Roy

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #562 on: November 01, 2019, 03:51:19 PM »
... stay alives in n gauge could be a game changer in encouraging shunting layouts i think

tim

Hear, hear!
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline jthjth

• Awards
« Reply #563 on: November 01, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »
Here are some "hot" photos of the shunter during testing, taken with an infra red camera:

This is the decoder with the track voltage set to 24v

At 12v the decoder runs considerably cooler. note the 40.2 degrees is the hottest part of the hottest chip.

This is the decoder with a normal camera. The test clips are attached to the track feed inputs. The output connected to the motor is not shown in this picture. The stay alive capacitor is on the reverse.

This is the motor being fed with 24v. The chassis is held fixed with the wheels slipping, to load the motor.

Same again at 12v

This the test chassis.

The decoder and motor have been run up to 36v input and survived the experience, but things started to get a bit warm and a sustained test didn't seem wise.

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #564 on: November 01, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »
Great pics, thanks for sharing nice to see some of the testing which looks to have been extensive. Stay alive was important to me as I only use the point blades for conductivity as I struggle enough with soldering & wiring. So, if the one I have on order works as advertised I'll be after another.

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #565 on: November 02, 2019, 01:52:24 AM »
A small stay-alive will only compensate for a momentary loss of power, so it likely won't offset a faulty point blade contact. 

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #566 on: November 02, 2019, 02:30:27 AM »
really looking forward to these arriving.  :claphappy:

Offline jthjth

• Awards
« Reply #567 on: November 02, 2019, 06:32:14 AM »
A small stay-alive will only compensate for a momentary loss of power, so it likely won't offset a faulty point blade contact.
Iíd second that. The capacitor was 1000uF, though I understand that it has got slightly bigger in the production decoder. If you do the calculations it gives enough reserve for a fraction of a second, not seconds. It gets you over bits of dirt etc. My test chassis could happily run over two consecutive points, one being a three way. Itís probably better to think of the stay alive making the short wheel base loco behave more like a long wheel base one. The capacitor is not a substitute for poor track work.

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #568 on: November 02, 2019, 08:21:34 AM »
Understood, I can get all my 0-6-0 locks to run over the point work in the yard ok, I always clean the track before a running session but laying track is not my strong point!

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #569 on: November 02, 2019, 10:39:19 AM »
24V and 36V input for an N scale loco?  :o
Can only sit in disbelief. ???
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal