!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Should I keep the station/road area?

Keep it the same
8 (88.9%)
Change its current appearance
1 (11.1%)
Change the whole scene on the bridge, if so, what could the station be replaced with
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: A Layout for University  (Read 14144 times)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: A Layout for University
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »
Now if it was a Glasgow layout you would need a 'Tongs ya Bas'. 

For those of you not familiar with Glasgow slang can I redirect you to Wikipedia.

Needles to say the Tongs motif was painted copiously on the tunnels and elevated sections south of Glasgow Central in the 1960/70's.

Steamie+

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2017, 05:03:56 AM »
 :wonderful modelling: Alex, you are a very skilled person indeed, just love the build. Bet you canít wait to put some track down when funds become available. I bet it will look even more impressive when there is some greenery done. Keep it coming Alex, i really love seeing your work.    :beers:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2017, 05:25:13 AM »
Hi Alex,

Great stuff. Very jealous.

Graffiti suggestion...Weave's layout SUCKS!  :(

Keep up the good work.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
Hi all,

I have been progressing with the abandoned platform, the tunnel portal and the station frontage for on the blue bridge.  I am not sure if I am happy with the building to be honest so any thoughts good or bad will be appreciated! The road is far from finished: further lines will be added along with other details and most importantly vehicles at a later stage! The whole scene needs some life but until the budget is bigger, that will be have to wait! Furthermore, I think the whole board needs track, ballast and foliage to make it look a lot better!

The platform looking suitably decrepit I think! There will be plenty of debris around as well as workers and machinery!

As I said I am not sure about the scene on the bridge or the building, let me know what you think:)

The tunnel will have foliage and weeds on top, hence the gap between it and the backscene.

A nice little shot from on top of the tunnel!

An overhead shot that captures it all together, still lots to do!

Thank you all for your graffiti ideas, I am sure some will pop up as time goes on! I have added the poll so I can see what you all think so hopefully I'll get some useful votes!

Thanks,

Alex
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:51:27 PM by AR »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
I think you are making a blinding job of creating a decrepit run down area, Alex. Keep up the good work and, as a final act, spread litter everywhere.

Steamie+

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2017, 05:43:26 AM »
I think you are making a blinding job of creating a decrepit run down area, Alex. Keep up the good work and, as a final act, spread litter everywhere.

Great idea   :thumbsup:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2017, 06:07:26 AM »
Coming along brilliantly.  :thumbsup:

Reminds me of a layout I saw in the model railway press a few years ago (can't remember the Mag or name of layout  :-[). A run down terminus in the Seventies.

Probably a prototype from where I used to live, when I think about it  :uneasy:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:02:15 PM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Steamie+

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2017, 06:11:55 AM »
There is a video on Youtube about a lady who has done just that with brilliant little newspapers and stuff to make a scene has if rubbish bins have been knocked over and the wind has blown them into the gutters, canít for the life of me remember who it was, this old memory is getting worse lol    :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »
I think your station entrance on the bridge looks suitably "uninviting" like you would use this station after dark...no!!

:thumbsup: >:D :thumbsup:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
This is one epic looking layout, The derelict platform is stunning, Fantastic work  :beers:

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
Hi all,

I have not done much modelling today due to being out and work but I have done a new track plan! I have received an offer for some track to help me out from someone on the forum and for that I must say a huge thank you, the benefits of being a member of such a great group of people!

Therefore, I have more points than originally planned at my disposal and so I think I will use the following plan:

I like the packed nature of the bottom half as it adds to the idea of a once-busy-now-barely used sidings complex. I am not sure whether to keep the points on the top half or not: my idea is that the original two lines were reduced to one but with a two track station and then when the other platform was closed the second line was reduced and kept just to allow wagons for platform disposal access to the line! If that all makes sense!

Thanks and hopefully more modelling tomorrow!

Alex

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »
That makes sense! :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2017, 09:03:14 PM »
It seems like a lot of track but I think as its split into two levels I think it will looked suitably claustrophobic without looking out of place:)

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
Hi all,

I have decided to change how the station looks! Thanks for your votes, I will be keeping the whole bridge, road and station size, just changing the frontage!

I have made a start, not quite finished yet but I think it looks far more in keeping! It will have the weathering and graffiti treatment in due course! It is based very, very loosely on the station at Blackheath, the line on which the layout is based.

Hope to do a bit more tomorrow:)

Thanks,

Alex

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2017, 10:03:40 PM »
Hi Alex,

Station building is much, much better for me.

Great stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything