!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cemaes Bay  (Read 10183 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cemaes Bay
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »
Thanks for those photos.
I really like the final one and I think the backscene works extremely well from that angle. I share your concerns re the field however , as is evident in your third photo. Would a row of bushes or saplings planted immediately in front of the backscene help to take the eye from the field?
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline Rowlie

• 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2019, 09:04:20 PM »
Hi Port Perran, definitely needs something at the entrance end of the station, to make that more convincing. Trees and various shrubs will work well towards the signal box. I was wondering about some form of decoupage or low relief, I don't have too much space between the station and the back scene. The more drastic approach will be to remodel that end of the station so that the entrance was at an angle going out onto a station car park (which only needs to be small), which would be then fenced and bushed on the backscene side. I just didn't think that part of the layout through when I put the station together.
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2019, 11:17:33 PM »
Belated Merry Christmas and an early Happy New Year! It has been eight months since the last post and progress hasn't matched what was hoped last year. The little progress there has been is the goods yard has been ballasted, shed yet to be replanted. The field has been worked on, a few exposed rocks added along with tufts to try and mimic wet land, I will experiment with some varnish for wet areas next. On the subject of back-scenes, I have decided to go with the field one which is near the entrance, this will mean changing the ramp at the building end. The solution is to move the entrance from next to the back-scene through 90 degrees, introduce a wall running parallel with the track with a car park on the other-side of it. Entrance to the station will be via steps, so most of the ramp will disappear. What this will allow is for a fence, bushes etc. alongside the back-scene as suggested by Port Perran, which should make the view more acceptable. When this has been done some pictures will be posted. Learning from last year, I will avoid setting any targets in 2020 😂. Elsewhere at least the diploma has been finished, however a Master's has been started in its place, sorting out the question to research is proving to be one of the most challenging academic/ work related tasks I have ever undertaken. R
Best regards
Rowlie

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2019, 06:37:34 AM »
Good luck with the academic work - most important!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »
Thank you, Laurence, it was 36 years between getting my degree and the getting the diploma, most of the other students on the  diploma hadn't been born when I read my degree😂. However, I felt resuming academic work did sharpen my mind up and start to blow out the cobwebs that had formed over the years, so I would recommend anyone to continue/ undertake academic work.
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2019, 03:15:30 PM »
Good to see you back on here Rowlie and Happy New Year.
I wish you luck with your Academic pursuits. I hope you come up with a suitable topic for your Masters.
Please keep us posted.

Regards

Martin

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2020, 02:59:24 PM »
Happy New Year,
A couple of images of the current state of Cemaes Bay. Start has been made on the the revised station and its new car park. The platform ramp, railings, gate and ticket cabin have been removed, the level of the car park will almost be at platform height so that there is a gentle slope up to the platform.

Between the railway will be a wall, I obtained some 7ft Victorian brick wall kit from Scale Model Scenery a little while back for the goods yard, It will have to be mounted on a stone foundation which is in theory holding back the car park. Fortunately (rather than good planning) the kit provides 37.5 cm of double sided wall, which just happens to be the length needed for this alteration. The wall kit is nicely thought out, being a series of sub-assemblies it does however, takes time to assemble so it it will be a nice distraction. Not sure if it saves any time over making the walling from embossed plasticard.
At Almwch, it looks like end loading was possible from the platform road, recreating this feature at Cemaes Bay might help tie the alteration into the overall scene. One photo of Almwch also seems to show a cattle dock also loading onto the platform road. Almwch wasn't a well photographed station, so publicly published images of that end of the station are rare.
A month or so back the field was worked on by adding rocks and tufts of vegetation (trying to capture that spiky grass that grows in waterlogged areas). The tufts need a bit of a hair cut to reduce height and uniformity and more vegetation added.

Thanks for reading
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2020, 10:32:39 PM »
Those rocks are superb. They, um, rock.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »
And the grass is pretty cool too! Keep the photos coming!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2020, 10:00:57 PM »
I'm glad you like the rocks and grass, hopefully once the station modification is completed, the field will receive some more attention.
Using some balsa that was left over, the car park, end loading and cattle dock were mocked up. It looks a bit like a platform extension at the moment, definite need to break up the uniformity before it is completed. Otherwise it looks promising and in the mythology of this station it now adds other revenue streams.

The balsa wood will probably be used as a basis for the structure, a quick search of heights for cattle docks indicates they are 3'6" (approx. 7 mm in n gauge) from rail height. This equates to a platform height about 10 mm from the base-board, as the gauging picture shows there is a bit of height to be gained. Rather than trim the track back it has been buried under the loading dock.

Thanks for reading R

Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2020, 11:06:14 PM »
A little more progress on the station alterations, The facings and paving surface for the cattle dock has been applied. The side shot with a warflat and 12T van gives an idea of the height, although it seems right for the warflat it seems slightly too high for the van. I need to seek out a cattle wagon to see if it is really ok.

End loading does need lowering, it seems to be sitting on the rails, I'm probably late to the party but taking photos as go along seems to be helping. (also revealed the warflat isn't sitting properly on its bogies)

Thanks for reading R
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2020, 10:00:56 PM »
Basic shape of the Station alterations has been completed, a fair few finishing touches needed such as the wall on the back-scene side. The overall alteration is seen below.

A view to the dock end.

and a shot from the station approach.

I feel that alteration has addressed the back-scene puzzle and the entrance to the station.
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »
That's looking very good indeed.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2020, 11:20:57 PM »
Thanks John for your encouragement.
Well time to try the back-scene, forgotten that I had found another one from the previous try. This one is two thirds sky, a third terrain. May have set it with too much sky, at the moment I'm liking the back-scene it seems to be adding depth to the layout and the station, that rural spacious feel. A couple of photos with the late afternoon service from Bangor, just arriving.

thanks for looking. R
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2020, 08:44:19 AM »
Looking good Rowlie.
I think Iíd agree with you that just a tad too much sky is showing at the moment.
Can we see another photo with it adjusted a bit?
Regards
Martin

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal