!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cemaes Bay  (Read 10176 times)

Offline Rowlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
Re: Cemaes Bay
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »
Many thanks for your encouragement, I'm glad if my efforts can help someone else, that's the benefit of the N gauge forum, I've certainly learnt from it.
I'm hoping to finalise the storage issue this weekend (weather permitting), although the principle remains the same, it should be easier to fit together.  The motive for this is to lay the track on the second board so that the electrics can be finalised (in reality I want to play trains occasionally).
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2017, 06:40:11 PM »
Managed to sort the majority of the storage arrangement for Cemaes Bay before the rain arrived, so now the scenery can be fixed and no worries that it will get damaged (hopefully).  The plan was to use the back scenes as part of the storage structure and after faffing around (it was quite unstable and required a degree of balancing before fixing) with the original idea, I decided to go for a slot arrangement on the side so that the back scenes just drop in.  So far it seems to work ok, black felt along the inner edge will protect the back scene from scuffing.  I need to finish (fixing holes) the other end and Cemaes Bay can safely live in the cupboard when not being worked on.
Starting materials

Finished item

Another benefit not planned for is the slots are ideal for suspending the control panel from, when this gets made.  The electrics need to be rerouted now, the current temporary position is no longer viable fortunately there is some MDF board left over, another weekend job beckons.  In reality this should of been done before the track and electrics were laid and if starting again I would go for wider side batons and use a Router to create the ledge in them.
Earlier I had mentioned I couldn't decide which side to place the back scene. I quite like looking across the platform at the trains, equally across the board at the station.  In completing the storage idea, the back scene mounting positions are identical on all long edges of the board.  This means I can have the back scene on either side as in the images below.

The back scene is 150mm high and is fixed in three places, this is to allow the fiddle yard board back scene to be modified at a later date.

Back to sorting out the electrics, finishing the station, re-fixing the platform (which I managed to knock off) the concrete (well plaster) hard standing in the goods yard. 
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
That is excellent joinery work.  Well thought out and accurately constructed.

Having such a good storage arrangement will save you no end of annoyance later on.

Great job!

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 07:21:37 PM »
The layout of Cemaes Bay is a very much “what if”, so a bit of interference in history is needed to make it existence plausible.
Historically a couple of Acts of Parliament for the Anglesey Central Railway (ACR) were passed 1863 and 1866 that allowed the building of several lines in Anglesey.
In reality the line from Gaerwen to Almwch was opened in 1867, there was a branch line built in 1908 from Holland Arms to Red Wharf Bay, however, this version of history the authorised (1866 Act) branch line is built from Rhosgoch to Cemaes Bay in 1868.  This gave a branch line of about four miles and which in this version of history terminated to the east of Cemaes Bay village.
Initially goods traffic was sparse, the ACR struggled financially before being taken over by the LNWR.  Fortunes for the branch then took a turn for the better, when the owners of the Porth Wen brickworks decided to establish their works at Cemaes Bay rather than on the coast to the North East of Cemaes Bay and relying on the sea to get their product to market.  Their finest firebricks were soon in demand from the Steelworks in North East Wales, also the brickworks and potteries around Wrexham.  Their private siding generated a steady traffic for coal inward and firebricks outward and rather than the Porth Wen brickworks closing in the early 20th century it continued operating into the 60s although the volumes were much reduced reflecting the decline in the traditional industries of the period.  With a reasonable sized industrial site nearby, this will give a reasonable general merchandise traffic flow into the good yard to support the growth in local population.
From 1963 the branch received a boost in traffic from the building of the nearby Wylfa power station and eventually being the site for the transhipment of nuclear materials from Wylfa to Windscale (Sellafied) in preference to Valley.
Hopefully this doesn’t sound too farfetched.
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »
Rowlie

Looking good so far would look great with a class 25 or 31 on the Nuclear traffic and a battered DMU providing the passenger service.

Also are you going to model and of Almlich chemicals traffic?

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 11:10:10 PM »
Hi Scottishlocos, thank you, I do have a 25 and 31 but in green, not got round to getting them in blue yet and the GF nuclear flask I have is probably too modern for the blue era.  Certainly can do the blue DMU though  :)
I wasn't planning to model the Almwch Bromine traffic as I haven't any suitable stock currently. There is probably potential to create other industries which could of relocated to Anglesey as a result of WWII, supplying the seaplane facility near Beaumaris would quite interesting.
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »
I had hoped to have sorted out the second board, alas best laid plans and all that mean progress has been limited in the last couple of weeks.  Most of the limited progress has been on the buildings (station and goods shed).  At the weekend I went to Ellesmere model railway club's show which is quite local and although there wasn't as many n gauge layouts as previously it was a good show.  Anyway I picked up Severn Model's kit N17 weighbridge from their stand.  I haven't attempted a brass kit before (probably due to a lack of ability on the soldering front), however these kits are designed for gluing together so I thought I would have a go.
Well Cemaes Bay goods yard needs a weighbridge and now it has one.  The doorstep and weighbridge part aren't fixed to the hut. 

I'm quite pleased with the result.  It was a really easy kit to put together, the fiddliest bit was the chimney cap and the end barge-boards.  Next job is to paint.  Severn Models do a lovely model of a detached house with portico which I might just find a reason for it to be exist at Cemaes Bay.
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline PeteW

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 02:59:30 PM »
Looks like a nice model - very crisp detailing. Looking forward to seeing it painted :thumbsup:.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
Smart model.  Nicely put together.  Have you decided on a site for it?

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2017, 06:09:22 PM »
Very nice; very nice indeed.

For such a small building, brass looks to be a particularly suitable medium.

Congratulations on a lovely model.  :greatwork: :admiration:

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2017, 11:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, it was primed this evening and will start to paint and weather it from tomorrow.  Need to complete the goods yard surface and work out a plausible entrance for the local coal merchant and general traffic.
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 07:01:49 AM »
Nice looking model Rowlie, well constructed  :thankyousign:

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 09:06:29 AM »
Great looking model and having googled them, Severn Models have a number of interesting kits for which I will be petitioning Father Christmas!

Graham, being a very good boy, honestly Santa.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »
Great looking model and having googled them, Severn Models have a number of interesting kits for which I will be petitioning Father Christmas!

Graham, being a very good boy, honestly Santa.
Yes, there's a really good range of items there!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2017, 11:04:24 PM »
I thought the kits look better in real life compared to the images in model railway press.  The O gauge drawing board was similar to the one I had in the first job.  Apparently there may be another n gauge furniture set coming out.  As for the weighbridge first coats of paint have been applied.
Best regards
Rowlie

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal